Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front brake on my 05 ZX6R is locking up on me..Seems like it get hot and pressure builds and locked up..It happen to me once on the track (over the bars I go)..and this weekend, not even a lap (waiting at the pit) and pressure builds up.!! I'd changed the whole front brake system (stock) and it still happen again..I don't think it's the brake system now, what's the chances of 2 brake system fail the same way..My rotors and wheel looks straight, I spined it off the pavement and it looks okay. The fork shows no sign of damage..How do I check if my forks are slightly bent or off..Any tip(suggestion) is very helpfull at this moment.

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
wonder if your rotors are warped? or your calipers have dirt in the piston and not letting them retract

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
either way I have a M/C for the 05 zx6 if you decide to replace parts

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
either way I have a M/C for the 05 zx6 if you decide to replace parts
I'll keep that in mind but 2 sets of brake system doing the same thing?..I must be something eles..How much are you looking to get for it?
Next? Will my 05 ZX10R system fit my 05?

·
Registered
410 Posts
everything clean?

I had a bike do the same thing. there's a tiny hole in the master cylinder that allows pressure to release once you let go of the brake lever. mine had plugged up with gunk, and wasn't allowing pressure to release.

That was on an old bike though that had been sitting for years. Not sure how it could happen on a new(ish) bike.

Reactions: SOUN1

·
Supercharged Mod
4,392 Posts
Is your master cylinder vented to the reservoir when the lever is released?

The tiny vent hole inside the master cylinder must be uncovered by the front of the piston to vent it to the reservoir when the lever is released, otherwise the symptoms will be exactly as you describe. The fluid as it warms up won't have anywhere to go as it expands, this causes the brakes to apply harder.

The other symptom of this will be that the brake lever gets really firm with little or no lever motion before the brakes are applied.

Usual causes of this stuff are improper adjustment of the lever, wrong lever for the master cylinder, bent brake lever so that it won't let the piston go all the way back, etc.

Reactions: SOUN1

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys..I'll check and do as advise here and see how it goes. I'll come back and pick you guys brain again later..I got 4 months before another track day.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Is your master cylinder vented to the reservoir when the lever is released?

The tiny vent hole inside the master cylinder must be uncovered by the front of the piston to vent it to the reservoir when the lever is released, otherwise the symptoms will be exactly as you describe. The fluid as it warms up won't have anywhere to go as it expands, this causes the brakes to apply harder.

The other symptom of this will be that the brake lever gets really firm with little or no lever motion before the brakes are applied.

Usual causes of this stuff are improper adjustment of the lever, wrong lever for the master cylinder, bent brake lever so that it won't let the piston go all the way back, etc.

bingo......if you have aftermarket levers and the lver is not fully released then it will do just like you decribed. make sure the lever is not binding up. A metal file to clean up the lever and your set. Could also be the vent clogged. but i have seen the levers cause this problem more then once

·
Registered
19 Posts
it's definitely a lever, master cylinder pblm. i f you got aftermarket levers make sure you adjust them to pos 6 (biggest distance handle to lever) and try again, specially on track use oil heats up and if lever is on pos 1, it can cause binding . further you might want try to put stock levers back on and check whether it still happens if AFM levers are not correctly fit, manufactured they might cause that effect as well as master cylinder never releases, i.e. expansion reservoir of brake fluid will be disconnected and causes seizing of brakes.

·
Registered
825 Posts
bingo......if you have aftermarket levers and the lver is not fully released then it will do just like you decribed. make sure the lever is not binding up. A metal file to clean up the lever and your set. Could also be the vent clogged. but i have seen the levers cause this problem more then once
:+1: I had exactly the same happen when fiddling with another bike, and it turned out to be just this.

Cheers,
Brian

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I took one of the MC apart and all looks good (seals, no dirt) but suprise to find out that the MC is a simple devise (housing, spring,seal & clamp)..The lever is an aftermarket replacement ($20.00 per set)..I'll get a hold of a stock lever and see what happens..Right now I'm at the process of elimination stage, one part at a time...wish me luck!! Oh, and THANKS GUYS!!!:eek:ccasion1

·
YRR
1,595 Posts
WOW on the way back from getting something to eat I approached a stop sign and one finger grabbed the front brake and my bike tried to stop suddenly! I ended up stomach on windscreen, as I was about to go down from being off balance I gave it gas to try and str8n out. F*cking close call! I get home and my front wheel is locked tight only moving when pushed hard ass hell. I took my "ASV" brake lever off and the wheel started moving again. I had pazzos before and it never did that to me!:headshake:bs:

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Problem solved..(I hope) It's the lever (after market replacement). The hole on the lever was too small and it didn't allow the piston to fully release..Thanks for the help. A very painfull and expensive lesson learned..:eek:ccasion1

1 - 13 of 13 Posts