Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i started pulling my bike apart to do my spring time maintence and add on all of my new toys i collected for my bike over the winter. I get the fairings and everything off an notice a slight oil leak on my valve cover. i have read through alot of things on here and hear this is a common problem on the 04's. just looking for some advice on how to fix this leak or suggestions on how to get to this as easy as possible. also, looking for any mistakes that someone might have done while doing this so i dont make the same mistake. any suggestions would be greatful. i have the manuel as well. i saw some did a powerpoint on this for the 06, does anyone have anything like this for the 04....thanks in advance

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
one last thing, was the problem with the valve cover itself on the 04's, i am thinking while i got it off, maybe i could just find a valve cover for the 05 and save me some future headache's

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
So i started pulling my bike apart to do my spring time maintence and add on all of my new toys i collected for my bike over the winter. I get the fairings and everything off an notice a slight oil leak on my valve cover. i have read through alot of things on here and hear this is a common problem on the 04's. just looking for some advice on how to fix this leak or suggestions on how to get to this as easy as possible. also, looking for any mistakes that someone might have done while doing this so i dont make the same mistake. any suggestions would be greatful. i have the manuel as well. i saw some did a powerpoint on this for the 06, does anyone have anything like this for the 04....thanks in advance
Many have said it's a common problem on the 04....the fix....replace the gasket. I will be ordering a new one as well and should have done it last year maybe sooner as I seen it coming on my 04 as well.

bloo

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have an '05 with the same issue. So I don't think it's just a problem with the '04 model. I ordered a new gasket last week but I'm kinda like you, is there something we should know before tackling the problem? Are we going to replacing a healthy gasket that just needs a little tightening to seal or is there a problem with it?:dontknow:

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i was looking at the manuel, and it says the valve cover only has a liquid gasket? told me to buy some kawi seal???? Did i mis read? I guess i am about to find out, taking her apart one piece at a time, should have the valve cover off by tomorrow but no later than thursday.....on a positive note, its going to make putting on my new sparkplugs and my new full exhaust in a breeze :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
i was looking at the manuel, and it says the valve cover only has a liquid gasket? told me to buy some kawi seal???? Did i mis read? I guess i am about to find out, taking her apart one piece at a time, should have the valve cover off by tomorrow but no later than thursday.....on a positive note, its going to make putting on my new sparkplugs and my new full exhaust in a breeze :)
You must have misread. My manual calls it a "head cover gasket" and recommends a new one be installed when the "Cylinder Head Cover" is removed and reinstalled. It does indicate (4) areas on the cylinder head to apply silicone sealant.

·
Registered
81 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Honestly mine has been leaking too... its a 05 and i really haven't decided what to do about it yet... I'm going to call the dealer... maybe they will do something... if not i guess just replace it and see what happens??? Let me know if you guys find out anything else

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have done the new gasket twice. It didn't stop. I did put the oem race cam and springs along with milling the head. Maybe a stock motor will not re-leak. With a gasket change. I am also still looking for a solution to the problem. Next is gasket sealer.

See this also:http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=68972&highlight=oil+leak
You know, I suspected that by changing the gasket it may not stop, especially when using fully synthetic motor oil. I think you could have the solution by just applying some silicone to the clean mating surfaces of the cylinder head, good gasket and valve-cover.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Sealer will be next the gasket is very new bolts have been checked, It may leak for a bit. I need to show the 636 some love. I crashed it at Jennings. If I can get a good price on a new valve cover I will change it. When that project comes up.

I am using full syn. Could that be the problem starter? I know I cant change it but I would stop scrating my head as to why this is happening.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
yea make sure there is sealer on the under side of the gasket. i just did mine but did not fix the leak cuz i put the sealant on the top side of the gasket only :bitchslap

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i read through all of the post....looks like everyone is having the same problem on the left side..... its going to be a long weekend....

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had the same problem only 1000 miles after I bought it.....took it to the dealership and they said, and I quote "it's the nature of the beast"....I think I'll never forget that one.
Anyway they replaced it and the new one showed some "perspiration" after 10,000 miles....
I will replace it with a new one when I check valves.
I spoke with sextaafondo about this issue....and it seems like it's flawed by design.

my 2 cents.

racer155

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am a Japanese guy and let me post how Japanese Kawi riders think.
They... ;
1. are feeling not enough if there is no mechanical noise.
2. are saying "Does it really works? Is this really on it? Pink ink! huh!" when they look at
HONDA.
3. blow up when they hear well-rhythmed idling sound.
4. become worried like "Does she has oil?" if they can't see oil leaking.
5. think it is natural thing that coolant level becomes low.
6. think that the noise of Camchain or Tappet is a carol.
7. think that it is the gentlemen's manner to keep tons of tools enough to do full OH in
backpack.
8. have tons of tools messed up in their house.
9. love the letter of "Z".
10. love the letter of "W" as well.
11. know 1 cylinder dies after washing.
12. know that each gear has "hidden-neutral".
13. feel calm when they find holiday of paint behind of fairings.
14. make engine blown within 2 weeks when they ride HONDA.
15. want to buy high-quality finished bike when they see it.

All of Kawi riders in Japan are like above.
I still can't believe that Kawasaki produces helicopter and jetplane with their quality control.

Cheers,
Mootod

·
Registered
9 Posts
this is a common problem , as i write this my bike is half riped apart . im going to be finishing up the new gasket tomarrow. i replaced it at about 7000 miles, n now at 16000. its leaking at the same spot. left side, front corner. i learned from my first mistake on the first one. make sure you put gasket sealer on both sides of the new gasket and give it a good day to dry before riding. thats what the dealer told me

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
this is a common problem , as i write this my bike is half riped apart . im going to be finishing up the new gasket tomarrow. i replaced it at about 7000 miles, n now at 16000. its leaking at the same spot. left side, front corner. i learned from my first mistake on the first one. make sure you put gasket sealer on both sides of the new gasket and give it a good day to dry before riding. thats what the dealer told me
I would like to edit my first post in this thread. I actually just used sealer on the original gasket and it's been without leak for about a year I believe.

bloo

·
Registered
905 Posts
Been there, done that, bought the gasket. Definitely, no matter what, spend the $40 on the gasket, AND the "spark plug o rings" and replace all at the same time, AND use some Honda-Bond or equivelant sealant. It may be over doing, but the problem WILL be fixed and there will be no problems as far as oil leaks from this area. Spend the couple xtra bucks and do it right, instead of throwing sealer in a known problem area. I have never changed one before and did it alone, start to finish, in less than 2 hours. Need any additional details let me know.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts