Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ive done a TON of reading now and the only question i have left is for my 05 titanium (yes that color makes it faster) 10r ....i want more get up and go out of it and im bone stock at 17/39 ...other then chain length is there pros or cons to going 3 up in the rear ..versus 1 down in the front....im thinking about goin 3 up in the rear for ease of installation and my stock chain only has 3k miles on it so also for cost reasons i was just going to buy a rear sprocket and run it....but after all my reading a whole kit -1/+2 sounds pretty rad..im just afraid it would be a bit more then i really want....any advice? :thumbsup: kawis for life!

·
Registered
523 Posts
Maybe start off going -1 on the front :wink: I think +3 on the rear wont work with the stock chain bit too short :dontknow:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oops :screwy:i knew that your totally right..stock chain would not work...anyhow even so how drastic is the difference from -1 front to -1/+2?:dontknow:

·
Registered
523 Posts
-1 makes a big difference i stuck to that for awhile pretty good all around just -1 .. then later tried +2 also great on the track or drags but a little bit revvy on the open highways in top gear

·
Registered
423 Posts
i had +2 for awhile and now im running -1 +2 and love it. i think this is how kawi should have done it from the factory.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
in some ways =3 rear is better than -1 front as the chain is picked up on more teeth rather than less. also less chance of swingarm clearance issues with + 3. Of course chain length may be a prob

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Were you able to use the stock chain length, or did you have to add links when you were +2 only? Thanks.
If its new i doubt it'll work but if used with some mileage then maybe.

BD
Nope it will not fit. if only a +1 then yes. +2 no.
The sum of sprockets front & rear cannot be greater than 1 for a standard chain length.ie.
17 + 39 = 56
17 + 40 = 57
16 + 41 = 57

Once u have a total over 57, then u will need to add links to standard chain.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a -1 front only and I love it. I primarily only do street riding. I've never tried going up 2 in the back but for my purposes I don't think I'm going to. I feel like the -1 alone gives plenty without being too much. But then again I'm sure once you try either one you'll never go back. Seems like once you feel that extra oomf its like crack...you can't stop thinkin about it

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thank you all for the info. I am going to start conservative and start with +2 in back and leave the front 17 for now. The bike only has 4000 miles on it, but you guys would still recommend changing the front sprocket anyways then?

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
Thank you all for the info. I am going to start conservative and start with +2 in back and leave the front 17 for now. The bike only has 4000 miles on it, but you guys would still recommend changing the front sprocket anyways then?
+2 is not going to fit. With the standard chain currently on your bike.
If I were you, I go with -1 +2 combo and still use the original chain. Provided it is still good condition. If you don't like it. Put the standard rear sprocket back on. As the chain will still fit.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
94 Posts
just switched to -1 only at the front, same chain, no issues. Much much better, bike is alive rather than gutless. Feels like a much bigger change than it sounds - honestly just change the front to a 16 - will cost you £10 for the sprocket and £20 to fit if you get a dealer to do it.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
just switched to -1 only at the front, same chain, no issues. Much much better, bike is alive rather than gutless. Feels like a much bigger change than it sounds - honestly just change the front to a 16 - will cost you £10 for the sprocket and £20 to fit if you get a dealer to do it.
:+1:

cheap noticeable mod. all of $60+ for parts and 1/2 hour of labor...............:helmet:

·
Registered
101 Posts
I went -1 in the front first.. stock chain... worked nice... wanted more then went up :+2: in the rear but had to get a new chain.. too tight... Had 4000 miles on it... Just get the -1 first and enjoy... when you get some money :+2: in the rear with chain... you will get into the 170s alot quicker....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts