Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had my 10 for a little over 2 months now and I've put a little over 2000 miles on the bike the back tire was fairly new when I bought it, not sure how many wiles were on it. I use my bike everyday for general transportation, and I hit what little twisties we have at least every other week. The back tire is starting to get low on tread its a Dunlop Sportmax Qualifier 190/50/17 rear 120/70/17 front. I'm looking for a tire that I'll get more miles out of, but still handles corners well. Right now I'm leaning towards the Michelin Pilot Road 2. Are there any other tires that will work well for me? My other question is my front tire is nowhere near ready for replacement, but would mixing up the brand/type of tire going to be a problem? I'm just trying to figure out the best plan of action, so I don't burn up too much money and don't sacrifice as much performance.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I hear the dunlop Q2's are good.Its been awile since I ran street tiires.I do still read up on them though.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I've had my 10 for a little over 2 months now and I've put a little over 2000 miles on the bike the back tire was fairly new when I bought it, not sure how many wiles were on it. I use my bike everyday for general transportation, and I hit what little twisties we have at least every other week. The back tire is starting to get low on tread its a Dunlop Sportmax Qualifier 190/50/17 rear 120/70/17 front. I'm looking for a tire that I'll get more miles out of, but still handles corners well. Right now I'm leaning towards the Michelin Pilot Road 2. Are there any other tires that will work well for me? My other question is my front tire is nowhere near ready for replacement, but would mixing up the brand/type of tire going to be a problem? I'm just trying to figure out the best plan of action, so I don't burn up too much money and don't sacrifice as much performance.

I just put on a rear 190/50 Pilot Road 2Ct!! Awesome tire and it will last a long time without flattening out like regular sport tires. It feels great to me and it handles the daily grind and twisties just fine. I am running the regular older Pilot power front tire still and have another Pilot power front when this ones wears out.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
I am not that aggressive of a rider and I use mine for a dd. I have the pilot road 2's. They don't do bad in the twisties for what they are. I am getting close to 10K on mine. I don't have many curves around me so I still flat spot mine. It did take a while to do though. Still have tread but am watching the middle. Really liked the Pirelli Diablo Strata's myself. They don't last as long. Have had 3 sets on 2 bikes. The RC51 and the 10 both got about 7500 very safe miles out the rear 15K out of the front. I take my tires off before they really need to be but out in the boonies it I have to change them when convenient.
I hear using a Pilot Power up front works pretty well with a Road 2 out back.

The Diablo stratas need to be used as a set. The rear has no tread down the center so the front is designed to push water away to make a dry spot for the rear. I personally really liked the profile of the Pirelli better. It is more rounded instead of pointy like the Road 2.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just put on a rear 190/50 Pilot Road 2Ct!! Awesome tire and it will last a long time without flattening out like regular sport tires. It feels great to me and it handles the daily grind and twisties just fine. I am running the regular older Pilot power front tire still and have another Pilot power front when this ones wears out.
Is that a different tire from the road 2? Is there a better performance tire that'll get around 7,000+ miles?

·
Chairman of the Board
15,998 Posts
I have the Continental Road Attacks and they have been really good. I do probably 65% commuting and 35% twisties on mine. I have about 8000 on them and probably another 1000 before I NEED to get new ones. They have been really great tires for me so I will probably go with them again.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Is that a different tire from the road 2? Is there a better performance tire that'll get around 7,000+ miles?
Pilot powers are a step up. They are medium instead of hard compound. The front tires usually last twice as long as the matching rear. So if the Pilot Powers rear gets 3500ish then the front should get 7000ish. You get more grip and about the same life as the hard rear. You will more than likely be replacing the tires as a set instead of the replacing the front every other rear tire replacement.
People like a stickier tire up front you can recover from a slide in the rear much easier than in the front.

The tires being listed are the more sporty touring tires. The sport tires tend to be 3500mi or less. Unless you are really taking it easy.

I have the Continental Road Attacks and they have been really good. I do probably 65% commuting and 35% twisties on mine. I have about 8000 on them and probably another 1000 before I NEED to get new ones. They have been really great tires for me so I will probably go with them again.
I worked in the shop of Nissan dealer for a while and they used Continental tires on some of their cars. I was not impressed with their car tires so I never thought of using them on a bike. I am glad that they are working for ya. I saw a guy stab a 12mm wrench through one when he ran over in his stall. It didn't just puncture it put the whole open end through the tire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts