Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i finally got my pics back from miller Motorsports park in Tooele, UT and i felt good but all my riding buddys here tell me that im riding crossed up and that i need to work on keeping more of my ass on the seat and getting my head and shoulders off the bike...lets here from some of the pros on here!

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
you dont look bad! just lean your upper body MORE MORE MORE. straighten that outside arm and just feel the bike and relax because you look a lil ridged. not bad though man.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
First off, there isn't any "perfect" riding position. The important thing is that you're comfy at speed. Lots of "fast" guys have less than ideal form but they still get it done. Doohan is a great example of "crossed-up" positioning getting the job done.

Having said that, your buddies are suggesting the opposite of what you should do. Your butt is okay where it's at. It's your upper body that needs to get down more. Do like fireman said and get your head down to where it's like your looking in your inside mirror.

On a side note, did you ride the full track? Was miller as fun as it looks?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Because while no one should be looking over their shoulder, the human eye automatically notices lights and focuses on them. While that's great most of the time, its not so great on a racetrack when that light is someone else bike.
Its all about less distraction. the more little things you can do to improve safety the better.

weather its better for the rider or the insurance company is up for debate.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
411 Posts
...Having said that, your buddies are suggesting the opposite of what you should do. Your butt is okay where it's at. It's your upper body that needs to get down more. Do like fireman said and get your head down to where it's like your looking in your inside mirror.
I think maybe you misread the original post the first time... cos they said "head and shoulders, off the bike".

·
Registered
475 Posts
Try looking through the corner with your head in line with the inside grip. Your lower body isn't bad, but you will probably need to scoot back in the seat a little to help get your body around the side of the tank.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Butt looks ok, but upper body needs to come over a lot. Outside arm should relax on the tank. Keep your eyes level and keep forward. Try to kiss the inside mirror.

Look through the turn. The first couple pics look like you are looking at someone beside you. Maybe just the angle, but your head seems to be turned excessively. The last 2 looks like you a looking straight ahead (opposite of above) but neither correct. Sometimes the picture angles can play tricks on perception.

·
Registered
101 Posts
i believe you are ok for now, next time try to bend your back more, and relax more...

·
Squid
6,017 Posts
Because while no one should be looking over their shoulder, the human eye automatically notices lights and focuses on them. While that's great most of the time, its not so great on a racetrack when that light is someone else bike.
Its all about less distraction. the more little things you can do to improve safety the better.

weather its better for the rider or the insurance company is up for debate.:rolleyes:
Thanks man I kinda figured that but just thought I would ask

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
First off, there isn't any "perfect" riding position. The important thing is that you're comfy at speed. Lots of "fast" guys have less than ideal form but they still get it done. Doohan is a great example of "crossed-up" positioning getting the job done.

Having said that, your buddies are suggesting the opposite of what you should do. Your butt is okay where it's at. It's your upper body that needs to get down more. Do like fireman said and get your head down to where it's like your looking in your inside mirror.

On a side note, did you ride the full track? Was miller as fun as it looks?
we did ride the whole track, and yes it was a blast but i would probly not do the full again as there is 24 turns and is alot to remember in one day also you only got about 5 laps per session, and that was my first major trackday, i felt by the end of the day i could of easily rode in the "A" group!...Next time I go I will be doing one of the other tracks east, west, or perimeter...few of the guys i ride with said they have done them all and also said they wont do the full track either!

Butt looks ok, but upper body needs to come over a lot. Outside arm should relax on the tank. Keep your eyes level and keep forward. Try to kiss the inside mirror.

Look through the turn. The first couple pics look like you are looking at someone beside you. Maybe just the angle, but your head seems to be turned excessively. The last 2 looks like you a looking straight ahead (opposite of above) but neither correct. Sometimes the picture angles can play tricks on perception.
the first 2 pics are just beginning to enter the last turn, so im looking at the exit of the turn(which is kinda what i was told to look through the corner) and the last 2 pics are the exit of the last corner(so im eying down more down the straight)...like i said im open to all input, im trying to improve my riding for next year when i decide to race!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and thanks for the tips, i will be using these at my next track day!

·
Registered
609 Posts
I think the reason your head position looks so out of place is related to your upper body position.

If you draw an imaginary line down the center of your body and down the center of the bike these should be parallel lines. Your upper body clearly crosses over the center of the bike.

True as we both stated you want to look through the turns. Never look immediately in front of the bike, but always look ahead. Make sure you are picking reference points. You go where you look. Just make sure you are not "overlooking" the turn. If you followed your line of sight you should remain on your line.

You look pretty good for you first day. It takes most of us some time to start to feel comfortable with body position. Always remember to relax and keep your weight off the bars.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right now I think that's my biggest issue is keeping loose on the bars, I've been flapping my arms like chicken wings before the corner to kinda help losen things up, and getting head and shoulders off!...I have gotten the keepn my weight on the inside peg down pretty well I feel..just wish summer wasn't over cause now I gotta wait till next year ugh

·
Registered
787 Posts
Just pivot your hips toward the turn.......and not so much your shoulders.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
Get your butt off the seat, ball of your foot on the rearset peg so you can rotate if needed, let you outside arm hit the tank and your head should be on the inside of the centerline. Remember that your head is extremely heavy and is trying to pull it self away from the inside line of the corner - if you put it across this line it will pull you into instead of away from the turn.

BTW you do not tape up lights, mirrors, etc for distraction - it is to keep from having 80000 pieces of sharp plastic or glass on the track in case you wreck - the tape holds those pieces from scattering.

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.