Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need advice dealing with a shop-UPDATE

As some of you may remember, I was recently rear-ended by an 18 wheeler causing some major damage to the back of my bike

http://zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=26142

2 months have passed and since the truck driver was at fault the insurance is paying for my repairs...they sent an insurance adjuster to the shop and the shop showed me his list...

includes:

- all the rear fairings. rear lights, signals, etc...
-rear subframe
-rear wheel, tire and wheel bearings,
-exhaust
-powercommander
-clutch lever

pretty much about 3500 worth of parts..total bill 4500 (with labour).when I asked the shop if I could keep some of the old parts, they replied "No"...now, this is a shop that I have dealt with and have been a customer of for quite a few seasons...makes me wonder if they truely are going to replace all those parts with brand new from kawi...

does anyone have experience with this kind of insurance repair? any advice on how I can go about verifying all the parts were actually replaced with brand new?

Is a customer not entitled to the old parts if they ask for them?

obviously, the plastics and the exhaust will be easy to tell, but what about things like the wheel-bearings, rim and sub-frame?

·
Registered
969 Posts
If you ask for them then they should give it to you. Customer is always right. I have asked to see the old brake pads and calapers on one of my old cars and the shop has to provide them. This is so you know you aren't getting ripped off...

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
nope. if the insurance is paying then the old parts belong to them.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's what the shop said then I called my insurance company and they said that they have nothing to do with the parts...All they do is write a cheque based on the appraiser's estimate...they do not in any way follow up on the old parts or to make sure that the new parts are indeed new...

so that leaves it between me and the shop...I just dont know if I should raise a fuss about it NOW or AFTER the bike's done...

·
Registered
840 Posts
I would raise a fuss now before it's done. If the insurance co. doesn't want them back and the shop is unwilling to return them to you find another shop. The parts do not belong to them, they are either yours or the insurance co.'s. The shop or someone at the shop is going to ebay them and make money on them would be my guess. Get 'em back.

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
Do you have another shop to take it to? Otherwise at best ask them to show you the old parts. May be your old parts, maybe not. Express your concern to the insurance company. See if you can watch the work. How reliable and reputable is the business doing the work? Talk to the owner of the shop to see if you can work something out.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,635 Posts
If the other people's suggestions don't pan out for ya, maybe you could call your insurance adjuster and have him request the parts from the repair work on your behalf.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've dealt with this shop on my last two bikes and they have been pretty reliable and straight...this is not typical behaviour from them and that is what has raised the alarm bells for me...

I think I'll call them and ask them to at least show me the old parts, if possible...

thanks

·
Registered
11,624 Posts
SkyDork said:
If the other people's suggestions don't pan out for ya, maybe you could call your insurance adjuster and have him request the parts from the repair work on your behalf.

:+1:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Majority of the time when it comes to insurance the repair shops say "no" because when you make a claim the insurance company keeps a record of what was replaced, repaired, etc... The old parts are evidence that these were what was damaged justifying the repairs. 99.99% of the time the case is never reopened. But the .01% of the time that a customer complains that these parts weren't replaced the insurance company has evidence and can say we have the old part. At the same token 99% of the time the old parts are thrown away when repairs are made. It really deppends on who you talk to and on what day. That's what I was told by my agent when I totalled my 748R at Thunderhill ( I mean crossing an intersection wink wink ). Anyways good luck with all of that.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Don't believe anything they say.

They are working for you, not the other way around.

You are not providing charity parts to them. The parts belong to you, ask that they be given to you otherwise take the bike to another shop and set the conditions of the repair in ADVANCE.

·
Registered
969 Posts
:iamwithst :iamwithst

·
Registered
376 Posts
In our shop, if the customer asks for their parts back that we replace on an insurance claim, we have to give them back. I couldn't tell you if it was by law or anything of the sort, but it is just what we do.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I would say that there is no way a shop could keep all of the parts for that .01% of the time that something is disputed. There us just not enough room in a shop to house all of those parts.

I would talk to the service manager or general manager and let them know your frustrations. Let them knnow that the insurance co does not want the parts back and have cleared you to keep them if you want. If they still say no then tell them you will pay them for the quote and take the bike elsewhere. I am sure they will change their tune then.

you could ask the insurance co to cut the check to you. I have done this every time adn then I ordered the parts and put them on myself and save a fourtune over the dealer jacked prices and come out ahead in the end.

·
Registered
4,682 Posts
tell the shop the insurance has released the old parts to you. remember you dont have to ask for what is yours! when did the shop PAY for them. if they dont fork them over ask for the money

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I called the shop again and told them that I would at least like to see the parts that come off the bike and they seemed agreeable to that. They are supposed to call me tomorrow with a final decision though, I will let you guys know...

The cheque has already been made out to them in the amount of 4500 by my insurance company, so I can't do anything about that...

·
Registered
240 Posts
I would call the insurance agent to see if he can recover whats it's yours, or take your bike somewhere else their are alot of bike shops not just 1.:bitchslap

·
Registered
376 Posts
Wait a minute here... those parts are yours! Think about, you're not trading parts, you're buying parts, full retail. What right do they have to keep your parts? I know from a shops stand point, if there's anything good with the wrecked parts, they like to keep them, use it for something else and/or salvage some pieces off of it. But what's the reason they give you why you can't take your old parts? They have no right, they didn't buy them from you.

And also from the shops point of view, they like insurance jobs, cause that's guaranteed money. They don't have to order parts and wonder if they customer is going to pay up, cause they insurance company is paying for it. So in turn, if you can get your check back, I'm sure their tune would change as mentioned before, because I'd bet they're wanting to do it.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
TheBoss10R said:
Wait a minute here... those parts are yours! Think about, you're not trading parts, you're buying parts, full retail. What right do they have to keep your parts? I know from a shops stand point, if there's anything good with the wrecked parts, they like to keep them, use it for something else and/or salvage some pieces off of it. But what's the reason they give you why you can't take your old parts? They have no right, they didn't buy them from you.

And also from the shops point of view, they like insurance jobs, cause that's guaranteed money. They don't have to order parts and wonder if they customer is going to pay up, cause they insurance company is paying for it. So in turn, if you can get your check back, I'm sure their tune would change as mentioned before, because I'd bet they're wanting to do it.
The sad thing is this is a shop that I have already spent thousands of dollars over the last 3 seasons, you'd think they'd be more straight...

Their reasoning was that the insurance company was going to take the parts, but I called them on that. I phoned the insurance company and they said it is not their policy to take the old parts back and then I phoned the shop and told them that I'd like to see all the old parts...we'll see what they tell me tomorrow,

I think its too late to take the cheque back since I signed the back of it already and it is made out to their specific shop....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts