Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I just want to say hello to all I am new to this forum, I need someone who truly knows where I should set all my compression, dampning, and rebound for my stock suspension for my 06' zx10r. I weigh 165lbs and I'm asking for aggressive street riding not really for the track at this time.

I just ask for true knowledge and experience for my question, and not a lot of personel opionions.

Thank you.

·
Banned
333 Posts
As far as initial base line set up do a google search for the sport rider write up I think your weight will be pretty much on par with their test rider's weight that did the review. Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
first off, welcome

We can tell you all the settings we want, but truth is you need to set it up FOR YOU, with your gear on. You will need at minimum one friend to help, preferably 2. Start by setting the sag, go for about 20-30mm if rider sag and adjust with preload. Once that is set front and rear then you can do the old bounce test to get rebound and compression setup. There was a video on youtube of a guy showing how to setup suspension, look there to start.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
All suspension settings that you read about can only be a baseline or starting point for further adjustment.

Step 1 - Get the sag correct by adjusting preload - should be approx 35mm rider-aboard sag on front and approx 30mm rider-aboard sag in rear.

Step 2 - Get steering response correct by adjusting ride height front and rear so that the steering is reasonably neutral. You need to have good-condition tires on the bike to do this properly and you need to have the sag in the ballpark at both ends, otherwise you will be chasing your tail. If the bike wants to stand up in corners and you have to hold it down, you either need more rear ride height or less front ride height (or different tires that aren't worn out and/or have a more triangular profile for the front one).

I find it impossible to explain how to adjust damping over the internet - I need the bike in front of me. Suffice it to say that if you have the bike held upright standing on the footpegs, and you move your whole body up and down on the bike (note: you have to use both your arms and your legs!) the front and rear should move up and down evenly. Beyond that point, it's hard to explain and very, very subject to personal tastes.

Start with the sag and the ride height and go from there.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
and you'll note that in the two posts above, the sag recommendations are different. If you ride fast on smooth roads, your settings will be very different from if you ride moderately fast on bumpy roads (my situation - pavement for the most part is in horrible condition around here).

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
and you'll note that in the two posts above, the sag recommendations are different. If you ride fast on smooth roads, your settings will be very different from if you ride moderately fast on bumpy roads (my situation - pavement for the most part is in horrible condition around here).
exactly... just another example of needing to setup the suspension for you and not use someone else's settings.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you to all; mostly about the sag front and rear mm settings.
I was just wondering a good starting point for the number of clicks out from all the way in on both rebound and compression on the stock suspension. I realize from there I need to go up the hill and tweak it to my personal needs.
I was hoping someone could break down the characteristics of too much, and too little rebound and compression so that when I am riding up and down the hill (twisty's) close to were I live, I can make the needed adjustments Click in, or Click out on the suspension.
Do I start on the rear shock first or front?, and do I start with the compression first, or the rebound? and what are the characteristic's of too much and too little of each as far as what the bike will do.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Oh boy ... complicated and there will be quite a bit of "it depends".

Have you, or have you not, set up the sag and ride height to at least some approximate baseline? Without having done that first, you will be chasing your tail!

For most street riders 30 - 35mm front sag will be in range, and 25 - 30mm rear sag will be in range. Probably towards the higher end for nasty/bumpy/choppy surfaces (me), towards the lower end for good surfaces approaching racetrack quality.

For what it's worth, when the recommended settings from Sport Rider showed up for the '04, they went in the other direction from the direction I had to go in order to cope with bumps. I had to soften *everything*. Their settings on my bike and on our roads would have the handlebars in a blur of tank-slapping ...

·
Registered
609 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
First I just want to say hello to all I am new to this forum, I need someone who truly knows where I should set all my compression, dampning, and rebound for my stock suspension for my 06' zx10r. I weigh 165lbs and I'm asking for aggressive street riding not really for the track at this time.

I just ask for true knowledge and experience for my question, and not a lot of personel opionions.

Thank you.
Where are you located? If close to Deals Gap Ken Wheeler at Wheelers bike shop in Robbinsville, NC. does a great job tuning suspensions.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank You to all, very much appreciated for your advice and help; Sag is first and most important. Got it.
THen I'll do my reserch from the sites that were given.
I don't want to beat a horse with this topic, but thanx for all the help.
Race2
I'll post some pic's soon in the gallery of my 06' 10r when I get some time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts