Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all

So i bought Cooks GoPro off him (thanks cook) and mounted it to the side of my helmet using the curved sticky mount. I am getting an awesome picture but the sound quality sucks balls.
I have tried both the open back piece (for under 100 mph) and the closed back. I have also googled the piss out of this problem and tried cutting a car sponge and stuffing is around the camera while in the case (still shit).
I know many people put music over their videos, but to me I would like the sound of the motor.
Anyone solved this problem? Do i need to mount the camera some where else?
Any mounting locations/tips would be nice too.

Cheers all.

btw this is all "high spirited" speeds.

·
Registered
926 Posts
The sound is shit as in what? too windy, or too quiet? I assume it's too windy since you tried a sponge :p

The closed case should work well, maybe there's a leak or something. Try submerging it in water (with the camera out) to see where the hole is ;)

if it's too loud, just plug the microphone holes with something and give it a go.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah sry. Way too much wind noise.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not too much you can do about the wind noise on the GoPro from my experience.

A lot of the noise comes from turbulence around the buttons on the top and front. I got the noise down to an acceptable amount by taping small slices of earplug material over the two microphone holes in the case.

This should be OK up to about 40mph. Face it, over 40mph the drag on a helmet mounted cam is a pain in the neck - literally.

Best spot for the GoPro on the Gen 4 is in front of the filler cap. Not too much vibration and the wind noise is cut down by the screen. It is also far enough away that you don't head butt it all the time. Plenty of engine noise gets through too.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, i would like to mount it on the tank, but i got a dark smoked screen, so you ain't gonna see much.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yeah, i would like to mount it on the tank, but i got a dark smoked screen, so you ain't gonna see much.
There's a remedy for that :wink:

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
only solution i found was mount it behind the windscreen, and even then theres still a good bit of wind distortion. you could try wrapping the hole case in rubber and just cut a hole out for the buttons/lens

·
Registered
125 Posts
I put one of the sticky pad mount things on the side of my helmet, its always there and then I just use a few of the pieces that came with it to mount the camera. I have never had a problem with it, heres my example.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the post Brett, but like i said im filming in "High Spirited" speeds. Mine is not bad at slower speeds like your video, but when the pace is upped the wind noise is terrible. My camera is mounted exactly where yours is.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Ive got a mount for mine on my helmet, with the non-water proof back dont really get any wind noise until you really get going, even then not bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts