Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of a company who is selling a FPR which is higher than stock for a Gen4?

·
Registered
997 Posts
are you looking for pressure input regulated fuel pressure?

or just looking for constant higher pressure fuel pressure?

·
Registered
997 Posts
You can alter the stock internal regulator to permanently increase the fuel pressure

·
Registered
569 Posts
You can disassemble the stock pump. It has a valve for pressure adjustment. Under the valve spring you can put a washer and get an increase in pressure.
How thick will be that washer and how much will this affect the fuel pressure from 3.0bar which it is stock

·
Registered
22 Posts
How thick will be that washer and how much will this affect the fuel pressure from 3.0bar which it is stock
Just plug in a pressure gauge to measure fuel pressure. The thicker the washer - the higher the pressure.
p.s. With increasing pressure, the performance of the pump (any) will fall. If you have a high power turbo project, then you will most likely need to replace the pump.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Just plug in a pressure gauge to measure fuel pressure. The thicker the washer - the higher the pressure.
p.s. With increasing pressure, the performance of the pump (any) will fall. If you have a high power turbo project, then you will most likely need to replace the pump.
Yeah I was thinking if u already have this and know the result like 1mm washe ll take you from 3 bar to 3.5bar for example...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am doing this for the Salt flats. Looking at about 4 miles of wide open runs. Dies anyone make a better replacement pump? Where it will fit in the current location without mods?

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Why exactly do you think you need higher fuel pressure? Unless you have a volume (flow) issue you can't overcome at stock pressure with stock injectors, you won't be doing yourself any favors by raising your base pressure. Higher fuel pressure puts more wear and tear on the pump, puts a higher load on the electrical system, and actually reduces the pumps maximum potential flow capacity. Unless you have some sort of BIG forced induction or high BSFC fuel the stock pump is MORE than good enough to meet your flow requirements.

With all that said, I'm talking about a NEW pump... and more pointedly a NEW internal filter (not the pre-pump screen sock). A brand new filter on a stock pump can flow buckets of fuel.... the weak link in the system is the unserviceable filter in the plastic housing.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The guy who is tuning my bike builds open wheeled race cars. He gets 201hp from the gen4 motor. He uses an external adjustable regulator and increases the pressure a few psi. We are only going to do this to one bike for now. I still need to install a way to log the fuel pressure while we are making our runs. I suspect the pump is running out of volume on a 3+ mile, 13,000 + rpm wide open run.

Please post any progress you have on the filter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The guy who is tuning my bike builds open wheeled race cars. He gets 201hp from the gen4 motor. He uses an external adjustable regulator and increases the pressure a few psi. We are only going to do this to one bike for now. I still need to install a way to log the fuel pressure while we are making our runs. I suspect the pump is running out of volume on a 3+ mile, 13,000 + rpm wide open run.

Please post any progress you have on the filter.
Most likely this is a malfunction. For example dirty filter or filter.
I implemented many zx10r based projects.
No problems arose in capacities up to 232 hp. (on the crankshaft) 14,500 rpm AFR can be done 11.00
Never had a problem with the drain fuel system.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Max is correct... if you are having a drop in pressure anywhere, regardless of the length of run, you have an elctro/mechanical problem. A clogged filter will cause enormous strain on the pump and electrical system, resulting in either a voltage drop to the pump due to rather small wiring or a flow restriction across the filter. Most of us that run an external regulator do away with the stock filter element, and that is actually the fix for the problem, not the couple extra PSI you can dial in the regulator. After all, you could just tune in a little extra fuel on top with the ECU/Piggyback if that was all it needed; a psi or two doesn't impact the AFR very much with a stock sized injector.

Home made fuel pump and filter mod, for reference. https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=407553&d=1511402171

1 - 16 of 16 Posts