Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I have a Arai Corsair V and it's good and all but at $920 gets expensive to replace. It was purchased as my street helmet. I would like to find a very good cheap helmet that would be kind of track only.

What my helmet needs are;

- really don't want to spend more than $500

- want the MAX in safety

- don't need all the premium materials for things that don't matter like the rubber seals and shit

- graphics don't really matter as I plan on crashing

My head fits Arai and Shoei but I'm better in a shoei. I can touch my chin on the front of my Arai in a super tight tuck.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,037 Posts
Should be able to get a Bell RS-1 or Shoei RF1100 in solid colors for under your $500 budget. I don't think safety is going to be an issue as all of these helmets have the latest Snell 2010 ratings. The Bell will fit very similar to the Shoei. The Bell will have a slight price advantage over the Shoei.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Sportbiketrackgear has a couple of Bell Star helmets on clearance for $350. From what I've heard, they're the next best thing to the Arai Corsair V.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=7302

I personally own an Arai Corsair V and a Joe Rocket RKT101 helmet. The joe rocket helmet was a gift. It's not as nice as the Arai for sure, but it's comfortable enough. I think they're only $150.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Shoei RF1100 FTW!

Bought one for $600, crashed in it, liked it soooo much went back and bought the same helmet again.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Recon I'm going with the RPS10 HJC, my mate just imported one and the quality looks great for the dollars.

Can't keep smashing top end Shoei's either, that shits getting real expensive!

It'll do what you want with change for a visor easy if your happy with plain colours!

http://www.hjchelmets.com/prds_rps10.htm

·
Registered
129 Posts
The HJC will do the job, but they are heavy, clunky, the aerodynamics suck and so does the ventilation (at least compared to my X12). The RF1100 is a great one for the price, and you can get a plain color for right around $400 brand new.

If you don't want to go with Shoei, sometimes you can also find good deals on Suomy helmets, which I hear are pretty nice. Some AGV also fall into your price range, just with fewer features than their more expensive models.

·
BigCat for Prez!
7,229 Posts
Scorpion exo-700s crash quite nicely. Only Thing I had was a concussion bec my head hit first and skid like a rag doll down the street. Idk how much it was, the guy I bought my old my from gave it to me

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sportbiketrackgear has a couple of Bell Star helmets on clearance for $350. From what I've heard, they're the next best thing to the Arai Corsair V.

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Detail.bok?no=7302

I personally own an Arai Corsair V and a Joe Rocket RKT101 helmet. The joe rocket helmet was a gift. It's not as nice as the Arai for sure, but it's comfortable enough. I think they're only $150.
Nice find thank you. Will probably get one of those. Rep sent.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
14,037 Posts
Nice find thank you. Will probably get one of those. Rep sent.
Well, just as an FYI...the closeout Bell Star's are on closeout because they are the older shell design. It's not a safety issue with them, but they can run narrower and fit your head very well. The pricing reflects that. Still a good helmet if they fit ok. The newer versions were redesigned to be more rounded and fit more people correctly.

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, just as an FYI...the closeout Bell Star's are on closeout because they are the older shell design. It's not a safety issue with them, but they can run narrower and fit your head very well. The pricing reflects that. Still a good helmet if they fit ok. The newer versions were redesigned to be more rounded and fit more people correctly.
I looked into that. Most of them are snell 2005 but a couple of them are snell 2010 with the new design.

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
If you want a cheap lid i'll sell you my old Suomy Spec 1 R.
In great shape only wore it for 1 season comes with extra visor too.
$150 shipped

btw that a pic i randomly pulled of the web, it's the same though minus the stickers

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got my Bell star in carbon from sportbiketrackgear for $499 (retail is 649) fit is great, lots of ventilation and very light. I also have the suomy spec 1R, great helmet in every way and can be found for right around 4-$500

·
All show and all go 10r
5,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
914 Posts
The HJC will do the job, but they are heavy, clunky, the aerodynamics suck and so does the ventilation (at least compared to my X12). The RF1100 is a great one for the price, and you can get a plain color for right around $400 brand new.
Gotta disagree with you...

The HJC RPS 10 is WAY lighter than our X12 Shoei's and the RF1100!
Shoei X12, XL = 1766g
Shoei RF1100 / XR1100 in Aus XL = 1746g
HJC RPS-10 XL = 1525g (Worn by Ben Spies)

The HJC's RPS-10's have actually been praised for there ventilation system to, and there is no issue with them aerodynamically.

Don't get me wrong I have owned and crashed in more top level Shoei's than most and I think they are a fantastic option, I just want people to get there facts straight before rubbishing a product.

I'll also be looking at the Nolan N94/X-Lite X802
(Worn by Stoner/Lorenzo/Melandri/Checa)
Weight = 1499g!
4 star safety rating
Cheap to buy

If your interested in weights and reviews look here:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmet-weights.htm

For indipendant safety ratings:
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/
RPS-10 not yet listed

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
what size?
medium.
If you want it, and seeing as we are neighbors pay me through paypal, if it doesn't fit i'll refund you minus the shipping and send it back to me. I'll Greyhound it will only take 2 days.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Yea, and I bet the foam is past its expiration date or VERY close to it.
Gotta be careful buying helmets for ridiculous deals...

It's in date. I actually bought three of them and sold the other two for 4x what I paid. The reason they were cheap was the fact they're 3XL. I see a *lot* of helmet deals for 2XL and 3XL helmets. Having a large dome has its benefits!

As a side note, the Spec 1R Extreme is worth exactly what I paid for it. The graphics are amazing but the helmet is loud and even with a 3XL, it's uncomfortable for me. I typically wear 2XL in most brands. The 2012 Arai RX-Q I picked up for $350 is the best helmet purchase I've made in quite awhile. Super comfy and quiet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts