Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to find a DB killer for my 04 Akra. The Germans are killing me with their TUV (inspection) laws. It used to be that if you were American (U.S. Military) they wouldn't really bother/worry about you. Times are changing and we're starting to have to conform more and more to their laws while we're here.
Anything more than 95DB is illegal here and anything open through and through (race)is illegal period.
Yes we run our bikes with open pipes, and so do a lot of Germans, but they won't let you through inspection like that. Not even on post.
What everyone does is either change pipes to go through inspection or put in the DB killer and then after you pass switch back. I don't feel like going through the hassle of switching exhaust systems, so the DB killer/baffle is my best option.
Can anyone help me out!!...I'm desperate.

Thanks!
Just let me know what you want for it.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
Akra comes from europe and their mufflers come with a noise-killer as standard. Can you get one of those? I don't know if you have to buy a whole new end can to get one.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
You can go to the local bike shop like probiker and they can hook you up. By the way, the stock ZX-10 exhaust won't pass Germany's inspection. I failed with my 07 multiple times but they had to let me pass because it was factory. I got accused of knocking the baffles out since it went through at 97db. Make sure the guys on base are testing it correctly according to the base regs. Alot of the guys hold it too close or not at the correct angle as well and even with the silencer you will fail.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In Japan we used to add steel wool to the exhaust just for inspection.
I have heard this before. What did you do? Just pack it in throught the exhaust pipe and then pull it out later?
How much did you use, etc. etc.

Details man details!

Thanks!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You can go to the local bike shop like probiker and they can hook you up. By the way, the stock ZX-10 exhaust won't pass Germany's inspection. I failed with my 07 multiple times but they had to let me pass because it was factory. I got accused of knocking the baffles out since it went through at 97db. Make sure the guys on base are testing it correctly according to the base regs. Alot of the guys hold it too close or not at the correct angle as well and even with the silencer you will fail.
I hear you! My buddy had a 04' 10R the first year they came out. one day the polizei pulled him over and gave him a hard time. They put the meter to it, and then they started sticking that little stick thingy that they carry around down in his end can to see if it went all the way through etc, etc.
Finally they looked at the end can and saw that it was factory with the Kawi stamp, and like you said, they couldn't do anything so they had to let him be.
At that time I had a '03' R1 with a custom short side pipe. They pulled me over in the Oldenwald one day. Stuck a meter to my bike...and wala! 119 DB. The Polizei got on the radio and said something in German, and nNo Lie! Within about 10 minutes about 5 polizei cars showed up. They all wanted to see the American with the crazy loud R1. A couple of the younger polizei though it was cool, and tried to talk the initial officer into letting me go since i was an american, but the old fart was like" Nein nein das ist verboten hier in Deutschland." You cannot ride this."
They took my bike on the spot. I had to catch a taxi/ train home, get my pick-up, drive back to the Oldenwald, get my bike, and then drive home again. A 6 hour round trip, because i was not letting them keep my bike over night.
They even have a 95 DB level limit on track days at most tracks now to include mainly Hockenheim and the Nurburgring, but they make exceptions for the main events like F-1, WSBK (not here anymore),(AC/DC, Metallica rock concerts etc, where tickets are hundreds to thousands on euros.
They do this by separating events into class levels. Thus determining how much noise they can emit from the stadium
Class A,B,C etc. The big events bring in substantial revenue, so of course they are going to allow them to make all of the dang noise they want to, like Nitro Drag racing etc.
The average joes like us only pay 12 euro a track session usually about 6-8 sessions a Thursday, alternating between cars and bikes. they usually make a few thousand a week on us., but if they get hit for noise infractions the track has to pay about 10,000 in fines, so like they say. $h!+ rolls downhill.
So it's not really the track. It's the people who live around the track who complain about the noise, and in turn the the town, govt imposes these rules to keep the status quo somewhat happy and content.
It's just like when I was living in Jacksonville, Florida People that lived near NAS Cecil Field would complain about the jets flying over at all times of the night.
Hell! You knew there was a Naval air station there when you bought the house. What did you think they would be doing there...flying paper airplanes?!
Sheeezz people

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
So far i have been very fortunate on this being here in Italy, the 04 zx10r with the ti-Force full system is pretty muffled in comparison by exhaust standards but sounds awesome none the same.
My beet on the 636 wont pass shit, going to have to make something for it wheni bring it up to the ring.

But for the baffle, i am pretty sure akra does make some kind of insert, not exactly a DB killer but reduces the pipe diamter between the can and mid pipe area.
this should knock the sound a bit then could use one of them screen inserts that are out there.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
It's easy enough to swap pipes out for inspection though. When I was there in Germany, I kept the stock pipes on my 07 just so that I wouldn't get any hassle at the track days at Salzburgring, Hockenheim, Sachenring, Bruno or Jerez. Some of the tracks didn't care about the DB level, but I usually rode to track days and had the gf meet me there with the truck in case I wrecked or broke. I got pulled over many times, but being an American in full leathers and not the typical jacket and jeans as well as the stock pipes kept me out of alot of trouble. I usually ignored the speed cameras in Germany and Czech since my tag was so high up and anged that the cameras couldn't get them.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I have heard this before. What did you do? Just pack it in throught the exhaust pipe and then pull it out later?
How much did you use, etc. etc.

Details man details!

Thanks!
I never actually had to do it but yeah just pack it in. The trouble comes when getting it to stay in place. Don't use too much, it's a bit of a balancing act. You definitely don't want to keep it in there for long so as soon as you pass inspection then pull it out. Good Luck

·
Registered
237 Posts
Nice 07. Did you buy it from Chris in Ramstein?
I just realized you're talking about Chris from the Kawa dealership....No that bastard wouldn't go down on a 08...His 1st offer was 11,200 then he said I'll hook you up 10,800. So i just said screw it and bought a used 07.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just realized you're talking about Chris from the Kawa dealership....No that bastard wouldn't go down on a 08...His 1st offer was 11,200 then he said I'll hook you up 10,800. So i just said screw it and bought a used 07.
People, people, people! Spread the word to you fellow service members.
Never ever buy a bike from the U.S. Spec dealers over here in Germany. They are rip-off artists. Especially Montanna Motorsports and any dealer associated with them. They charge MSRP plus a $1000.00. They claim for shipping.
B.S!!
They count on you being so desperate to buy a bike. U.S. Spec or otherwise and try to ream you.
Every bike that I have bought since I have been in Germany (with the exception of a Euro spec GSXR-1000 that I purchased back in 02) I ordered from Honda of East Toledo, Ohio and had it shipped over to Frankfurt where I picked it up, and I still came out a little more than $1000.00 under MSRP.
I'm sure there are other dealers stateside that you can get the same sort of deals from.
Don't be desperate just because you have a pocket full of money. Do a little research and shop around. I hate when I hear a soldier or airman say that they just bought a bike from one of those places. It irks the shit out of me.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
People, people, people! Spread the word to you fellow service members.
Never ever buy a bike from the U.S. Spec dealers over here in Germany. They are rip-off artists. Especially Montanna Motorsports and any dealer associated with them. They charge MSRP plus a $1000.00. They claim for shipping.
B.S!!
They count on you being so desperate to buy a bike. U.S. Spec or otherwise and try to ream you.
Every bike that I have bought since I have been in Germany (with the exception of a Euro spec GSXR-1000 that I purchased back in 02) I ordered from Honda of East Toledo, Ohio and had it shipped over to Frankfurt where I picked it up, and I still came out a little more than $1000.00 under MSRP.
I'm sure there are other dealers stateside that you can get the same sort of deals from.
Don't be desperate just because you have a pocket full of money. Do a little research and shop around. I hate when I hear a soldier or airman say that they just bought a bike from one of those places. It irks the shit out of me.
I bought one bike that way from Honda East. For my 06 I paid 10500, and then when I went to get my 07 after wrecking the 06 at the Ring I brought a friend with me and got the 07 for 9700. I put 7k miles on it in a summer and then sold it to a guy for 9k stock so I didn't loose anything on that bike.

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
i have the one from my akra on my 08, you are welcome to it. if it works???

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I bought one bike that way from Honda East. For my 06 I paid 10500, and then when I went to get my 07 after wrecking the 06 at the Ring I brought a friend with me and got the 07 for 9700. I put 7k miles on it in a summer and then sold it to a guy for 9k stock so I didn't loose anything on that bike.
My point exactly!
I did the same with my "03" R1 years ago. Actually came out ahead or at least dead even.

·
Blitzkrieg
4,473 Posts
pm replied

1 - 19 of 19 Posts