5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a set of the Oem Brembo Front Calipers for sale? 2016 zx10R

Mine are causing massive brake drag

·
Registered
576 Posts
Out of interest why are they dragging?
I had a dragging on my bike that wasnt there when i brought it.
That's a good question! Seems like nothing solves it.

He's used 2 different masters, different pads, different rotors (brand new), removed the retaining clip, etc... And they drag like crazy! Even replaced the seals and cleaned the pistons.

Mine on the other hand have been AWESOME! No drag at all!

·
Registered
838 Posts
I heard some fuilds can cause the seals to swell.
Maybe try running standard dot4 fluid and nothing fancy with new seals in there.
One other thing is overfilling the pot causing pressure or forcing air pressure into the pot when your putting fluid in.
If its presurised it can cause dragging

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, like Nick said, its happened with new oem rotors and new vesrah pads.. same with sbs pads and brembo rotors...

two different master cylinders... plenty of air gap in the resevoir...

When the calipers are off the lines completely, the pistons still seem jammed up in the bore, like the tolerance is too tight

·
Registered
415 Posts
If seals have made contact with break cleaner, then get new seals.
Clean seals only with warm water and soap.
Polish pistons outwards direction to set microscopic burrs in favorable direction.
We use stuff called "ATE Bremszylinder-Paste" lightly when installing pistons.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Yeah, like Nick said, its happened with new oem rotors and new vesrah pads.. same with sbs pads and brembo rotors...

two different master cylinders... plenty of air gap in the resevoir...

When the calipers are off the lines completely, the pistons still seem jammed up in the bore, like the tolerance is too tight
Mine was after a track day where i was trying a set of sbs pads and they cooked themselves purple. They got so hot i couldnt touch the brakes at all and i struggled to change the pads back to stock because of the heat. Once changed back the brakes were brilliant straight away but i always had dragging after this.
Extreme heat can distort metal easily.
If yours have got real hot then your tollerances could be out on the pistons.
The only real way to tell is to remove pistons and use a micrometer to see if they are out of shape or size.
If they are annodised alloy like the gen4 you are screwed as you cannot polish or turn down annodised alloy.
There is a company in the uk that make stainless pistons. If you get really stuck i can make a set at work. I made castlated ones for my old calipers.

·
Registered
576 Posts
If seals have made contact with break cleaner, then get new seals.
Clean seals only with warm water and soap.
Polish pistons outwards direction to set microscopic burrs in favorable direction.
We use stuff called "ATE Bremszylinder-Paste" lightly when installing pistons.
It's pretty safe to say he knows full well how it's done ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts