Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.... just went out to get some fuel and a short ride, nothing hectic and gen 4 has suffered a (I think) big mechanical that near spat me off.

Was shifting up through gears using quickshifter at moderate revs and went to go between 4th and 5th gears and revs spiked and bike reat stepped out big and gear dropped back think 4th but had no drive. I looked behind and plume of rubber smoke.....

I pulled clutch and clicked box down but no drive any gear and looked down and chain was hanging off sprocket, but intact.

On getting off the rear wheel has twisted to the right inside the swing arm so much it's completely bent the chain adjuster bolt down and the right side of tyre is jammed against the right swingarm wall.... I've attached pics to hopefully show.

I had the tyres changed last week.... sounds mechanical to me I'm worried it's a busted gearbox (altho bike only done 7k) hoping just a coincidence and not that wheel was reinstalled poorly.

Anyone experienced similar or suggestions?

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Damn, glad you kept it up and made it safely to a stop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Damn, sorry about your ride glad you didnt get dumped. Is yours abs? I ask cuz my buddies 2012 abs was acting weird after a tire swap (alot of bucking and such) and we noticed his adjusters weren't even.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I strongly suspect rear wheel re-installation

·
Registered
179 Posts
My dirtbike did the same thing when the gearbox locked up. The gearbox locks up and the rear wheel is still attached (chain and sprockets). In the dirt the back wheel tries to slide if it can.If it cant something has to give.

On your bike that looks like the rear chain adjust, left side. The rear axle was probably not very tight. Maybe it was. Thats a lot of force with you and your bike moving forward at 50-60- or who knows what speed. If the gearbox jams it quickly shows you the weakest link.

Im glad you are ok. The money side of this is not great but nothing like your being injured. This is just a guess. Ive not seen your bike or ridden your bike so ....Quickshifters are awesome. Most times people set the times up for high rpm and full throttle. They work great when operated in that highrpm/full throttle range. However if you us it "out of range" lower rpm lower throttle opening the kill times often dont match up to what the gears are doing. That could cause this type of damage.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Appreciate your posts guys. On reflection lucky to stay on so that is positive. Having the bike taken in this week so will post up the outcome. ...

·
Registered
65 Posts
With a recent wheel change, my money is on a bad install. Were the wheel spacers installed and installed correctly?

Reactions: rcannon

·
Registered
147 Posts
So.... just went out to get some fuel and a short ride, nothing hectic and gen 4 has suffered a (I think) big mechanical that near spat me off.

Was shifting up through gears using quickshifter at moderate revs and went to go between 4th and 5th gears and revs spiked and bike reat stepped out big and gear dropped back think 4th but had no drive. I looked behind and plume of rubber smoke.....

I pulled clutch and clicked box down but no drive any gear and looked down and chain was hanging off sprocket, but intact.

On getting off the rear wheel has twisted to the right inside the swing arm so much it's completely bent the chain adjuster bolt down and the right side of tyre is jammed against the right swingarm wall.... I've attached pics to hopefully show.

I had the tyres changed last week.... sounds mechanical to me I'm worried it's a busted gearbox (altho bike only done 7k) hoping just a coincidence and not that wheel was reinstalled poorly.

Anyone experienced similar or suggestions?

Cheers
If the gearbox or virtually any part of the drive componentry locked up, the back wheel would just skid to a stop and the wheel would still be located properly.

By far the greatest probable cause is an error made by whoever fitted the
back wheel.

I know a tyre fitter (and thief ) who, less than 12 months ago, forgot
to tighten the brake caliper bolts after he fitted a tyre to the front of a customers bike. :surprise:

Karma caught up to that particular tyre fitter :asshole: very soon after though.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Wow! Id take things off and start inspecting. First take the rear wheel off, take the axle out and beat whoever installed the wheel over the head with the axle. Proceed to fix bike elsewhere (your garage?).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts