Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a nail in my tire tonight. Looking for opinions on whether I should replace it or plug it.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
That's why I buy Insurance from Cycle Gear...if I get a nail then with all tread still stock height tire I would get a new one for free.....but in your case it's up to you and would never recommend a plug or patch but being in the middle of the tire don't think you will have to worry as much if you go that route.

bloo

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Patch.

·
Late Apex
803 Posts
That's why I buy Insurance from Cycle Gear...if I get a nail then with all tread still stock height tire I would get a new one for free.....but in your case it's up to you and would never recommend a plug or patch but being in the middle of the tire don't think you will have to worry as much if you go that route.

bloo
:+2:

But on the other hand .. You can pick up a scrub (Race Take Off) that isnt cupped for like 80.00 . Its in the center like bloo said ..

Personal opinion. Enough things can go wrong at triple digit speeds .. I never want it to be because I didnt do something or cut corners .. Feel me :helmet:

·
Registered
774 Posts
i'm running a tire right now that had a plug patch done i wasn't really crazy about. a mexican tire shop put a plug with filler on the inside. i've gone 150 on it, no problemo.

if it leaks really slow just keep filling it up.
tire looks pretty worn anyway though

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Plug it....

...temporarily, and replace it as soon as you can. Looks like you were almost due anyway.

You probably won't have any issues with it, but it's hardly worth the risk IMO.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

bloo
Tire insurance would be awesome. Unfortunately no one offers that on motorcycle tires up here in Canada.

I really don't ride the bike hard, it rarely sees triple digit speeds and curves are non existant where Im from. I may just break down and order a new tire though. The $200 will be worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
They say you should buy a new helmet if you drop it too...

If I bought a new helmet every time I dropped my helmet I could buy another bike.

One year I had a brand new tire got a nail on the first day... I plugged it. You must be crazy to drop another $200 on a tire when you can plug it.

Unless you got paper like that...

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have a friend who did a couple of track days on a patched Power Pilot 2CT at Texas World Speedway. All wrapped out on the main straight and he never had a problem with that tire after it was patched.

Just a dumb, related question. Does anyone have real experience of an actual blown motorcycle tire? Never seen it myself before. Just curious. The last car tire that I had a blow out with was a very well worn Goodyear about 15 years ago. Seems that tires have gotten a lot better these days.

·
Registered
243 Posts
This is crazy talk. Never plug a motorcycle tire. Replace it. If you can't afford to do that, find a less expensive hobby. It's not worth it.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have a friend who did a couple of track days on a patched Power Pilot 2CT at Texas World Speedway. All wrapped out on the main straight and he never had a problem with that tire after it was patched.

Just a dumb, related question. Does anyone have real experience of an actual blown motorcycle tire? Never seen it myself before. Just curious. The last car tire that I had a blow out with was a very well worn Goodyear about 15 years ago. Seems that tires have gotten a lot better these days.

I was thinking the exact same thing. I havent met, read, or heard of anyone having a "blowout" from a patched tire. Put a mushroom patch/plug and ride it like no tomorrow. i have done literally thousands of miles on plugged tires that I plugged myself and patched tires that were done by a professional. (with triple digit speeds) The worst that happened was a slow leak at the end of the tire life. Dont waste the money!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I went through tons on plugged tires doin stunt shows. Ive done miles of rolling burnouts on a combo plug/patch and ive never had a blowout unless it was on purpose. Your tire looks like it has decent tread on it, I wouldnt waste the money but its all on your bro.

On the other hand, I have seen two tire blowouts. One on a cruiser which resulted in the death of two of my dads friends and one on a R1 which luckliy resulted in him just pulling off the side of the rode. Neither of the tires had a nail or patch in the tire at all so still no bad things from a patched/plugged tire.

·
Registered
227 Posts
This subject comes up all the time.
As I've said before, there's nothing wrong with a proper 'mushroom' patch.

I've run a Pirelli on my old ZX12 over 300k lotsa times with one. I would not be scared of using one again.

Ever noticed how bikes always seem to punture the rear?

·
Registered
774 Posts

yeah i think, worst case, the tire aint gonna "blow out" grenade style. just a slow loss of pressure just like running over a nail. and when that happens, unless you're running extended high speeds, you'll notice it and be able to pull off the road
also these low profile tires have very stiff sidewalls that will resist squirm/ folding under

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seems that it all boils down to personal opinion as no one has any bad stories about running a patch. Thanks for all the input guys, I think im going to go the patch route.

·
Registered
774 Posts
for sure replace that tire b4 it gets to the 2mm wear bar though. that's mighty thin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts