Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,670 Posts
Neither. You should replace it especially for a trackday. If the hole is in the center of the tire you can plug it and get away with running it for awhile on the street, but the track is a different animal. Get a new tire for the track and get one plugged for switching it back later.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,670 Posts
What's the difference in 140 on the street or 140 on the track though? I ride just about as hard on the street. So if its not safe for the track I might as well toss it.
There isn't much difference in the total speeds. But on the street, you really shouldn't be dragging your knee or doing 140mph in the corners. You can and will do that on the track. On the track (usually) you're hanging it out a bit more than you would on the street. Or should be. If you were to plug it and run it on the street, you should dial it back a bit more than you normally would. If that tire fails at 140 on the street, you're more likely to hit a guardrail, utility pole, curbing, an oncoming car, etc. But on the track it's more likely to fail given the heat load in the tire and the stresses on it from constant track sessions. On the street, you're doing much slower speeds for most of the time with an occasional blast up higher.

Nails suck. And it hurts when you get one in a new tire. Been there, done that. But a new tire is cheaper than plastics and medical bills if it fails due to a repair. If money is that tight, then get this one repaired and see if you can find a used take-off from a local racer that you can use at the track. When you're done, you can put the plugged tire back on the bike and run it for awhile at slower pace.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I got a nail a few weeks back. Freaked out about it but have been riding on a plug since then and things have been "ok". Ive had it up to 140 (oh yea this is on the 636 too) and I trust it to an extent but plan on replacing it for the new season next year. Just want this plug to get me through October before she sits all winter and I need new tires anyway luckily. I plugged mine, waited 12 hours or so while monitoring psi, rode it, brought home and monitored psi another 24 hours just to make sure its stable. Damned if I trust it 100 though.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Plug should only be used in emergency to get home.

At the very least should be patched from the inside.

I would replace the tire.

I would not use plugged/patched tire on the track or
on the street. But I hear ya, it's expensive and tires
end up costing a lot of money.

Normally running much lower tire pressures on
the track causing a lot more flex and heat.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd love to replace it, and I know I should replace it, but I just can't afford it. My local shop is going to install something that is a patch and a plug I guess. It goes in from the inside. Seems like it should be ok. The nail is so tiny, almost like a Brad nail. I really think I'm going to do this track day and sell the thing in the spring. Rode 3000 miles this year and I'm in over $1200 in repairs and maintenance.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
You guys are pretty ballsy riding that fast on a "plugged" tire, and yo each his own because im not one to preach to ppl. A few years ago i was riding about 50mph on a plugged Q2, lets just say that thing gets squishy in a hurry when that plug slings out.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I had the same issue earlier this year. Had to suck that shit up and buy a new tire. Ended up selling the one with the nail in it to some squids for $30 bucks. Lol that was funny as hell and another story of it's own haha. But yeah I personally didn't feel comfortable with the patch or plug on my bike that I sometimes push the limits on.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Yea I really shoulda put a disclaimer in there that I just did that 140 real quick as a test of sorts and have no intention of doing it again lol. Right now im just using it to commute to/from work and I rarely get up to 60mph. But yea its sketchy as hell, im just not ready to buy new tires yet and hope to hell that plug stays put!! Had a flat rear one time and that will test yer sphincter!!!
On another note, I haven't ridden my 10 at all this summer cause she needs about $400 in repairs that will happen this winter....damned if ill sell it though!!
Oh yea I was also thinking about heat cycles during a track day and how those might negatively affect a plug. Probably not like heating a tire on the street ya know?

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Fuck yeah, heat cycles on a track are much more different than the street, and Cap is right that could have some very negative effects on that plug...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was afraid you were going to say that. I really can't afford another tire after just buying these and replacing the stator. I'm really considering selling this thing it just costs way to much to operate.
I could barely afford to maintain my 1st two bikes but, truthfully, I've never had more fun during the periods I was using credit to even keep gas in them at times. So if now is not the time, then so be it. Otherwise, savor every pocket-breaking mile!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Yeah, the tire may be expensive but imagine how expensive it will be when it lets all its air out at 140? I've ridden plugged tires on the street with mixed results. I would not do it on the track because you should be running lower pressure which causes a lot more heat and flex as mentioned.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I was afraid you were going to say that. I really can't afford another tire after just buying these and replacing the stator. I'm really considering selling this thing it just costs way to much to operate.
Cycle Gear and some other outfits have an insurance you can buy for tires. I had the same thing happen with a brand-new Pirelli Angel, not a cheap tire. They gave me a brand-new tire, the protection plan was about $20 or so.

NEW tires tend to pick up every dang thing on the road, picked up a staple in my new Conti TA2 rear tire first day out, thankfully the tread is very deep so no puncture.

If that Q3 is repaired properly with a high-quality patch plug I would not worry about riding on the street IF you back off the the top speeds. Keep it below triple digits and ride conservatively.

That type of repair is approved for small punctures like a nail by most tire makers and may be just fine. Check with Dunlop first, email an image to their customer service folks and see what they say.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Next time I will have to get some insurance. I put a patch on the inside of the tire for now. I think it will be ok for light street duty. Don't think Ill make it to the track though. At the rate this thing eats money I never will! I seriously consider trading it in for a Grom every day.

·
Registered
112 Posts
motorcycle tires aren’t like car tires and suffer from forces car tires don’t see. A plug or patch in a car tire is ok for street duty and normal use but not heavy use. The plug may create a hot spot in the tire where the plug separates the rubber and whatever the carcass is made up of. Yeah, you might be fine, but... you might also suffer loss of tire pressure, either gradually or suddenly, or you could suffer a less gentle tire failure. You absolutely should not be on the track with a substandard tire, if not for your benefit, for the benefit of and respect for the riders you share the track with. If your tire lets loose, and you collect someone as a result their injuries are your fault, that’s not assumed risk of being on the track, that’s negligence of another rider.

Be smart. save pennies, get another tire.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Next time I will have to get some insurance. I put a patch on the inside of the tire for now. I think it will be ok for light street duty. Don't think Ill make it to the track though. At the rate this thing eats money I never will! I seriously consider trading it in for a Grom every day.
I feel you on the grom part haha, I want one for street riding around town.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just wanted to add, my buddy that helped me patch it used to work in the tire shop at our dragstrip. (summit motorsports park). He told me he used to patch big drag slicks all the time. They get melted and wrinkled in the burnout box and make single digit passes. Never had a problem with those, so that makes me a little more confident in my tire. Still not ideal but I don't expect a dramatic failure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts