Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

My track-bike build... yes its a Honda

1K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  HOOCH 
#1 ·
Sometimes you come across a deal you cannot resist. I love to track my '06 10R but it is my only street bike and I cannot imagine crashing it on the track... problem solved-

I bought my first Honda, a CBR1000RR, after the GOTTRACK event at Jennings in December. My friend owned the bike and high-sided that day pretty bad- he broke his collar bone, shoulder blade, ankle, 5 ribs and punctured his lung. He is better now but his family has decided he is done riding for a while.:sad:

I purchased the totaled bike from him (he bought it from insurance co. for me) as is for $1,128. It is a Black 2006 model and had mild mods (slip-on, fork springs, powder coat) and has been meticulously maintained (I have helped) since new. The only reason I got such a good deal is the bike has 32,000 miles (most highway) as my buddy commuted on it for 3 years.

Here is a few pictures of its transformation into a track bike(as it is no longer street legal per no salvage title)

The bike after a wash with the damaged fairings (and a couple good) removed- The fairing stay, right clip-on, frame slider and swing arm spool and upper and right mid fairings were all broken from the high-side on the right.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I removed the lighting wiring I didn't need, trimmed the sub-frame plastic, deleted the rear brake reservoir, did the flapper mod, and treated her to a new frame slider, new air filters, new fluids, DEI titanium header wrap for the entire header, and new 520 conversion with -1/+3 sprockets

Attachments

#6 · (Edited)
Now I know here comes the $64,000 question... "how does it compare to the ZX-10R?"

I have only ridden just down the street but it is very different- It is much louder and has more vibration, the power delivery comes on abruptly on the bottom end, and the top end is no where near as forceful of a rush as my Kawi. That said, with the -1/+3 it is quite a beast and feels lighter with the weight removed in race trim. I think the 190/55 tire will make the handling very nice and the Honda suspension just feels excellent- its plush and firm at the same time. (credit the Traxxion springs and recent fork service as well)

In the past both of these bikes were on the same dyno (on different days but the same operator). My 10R made 160hp stock and the 1000RR made 154 with a slip-on.

I have to say- If I raced myself on my 10R on this bike on the track I think the honda would be just as fast or faster due to the combo of full DOT race tires, very short gearing, and the don't-give-a-shit-if-I-lay-it-down factor.

Cant wait to try it out!

#7 ·
very nice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.