Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After waiting patiently for 2 months for the Akra Hex I ordered, I got fed up and went to an exhaust shop and got my stock muffler baffle removed. Basically what they did is remove the inside of the stock muffler and make a whole new baffle, and packing material. So now it's straight through design welded from one end to the other. It sounds quite good, just like a slip-on and its not loud like D&D and the tone will get a little deeper as the inside gets filled with that black stuff. I didn't think there would be this much difference to be honest but I instantly felt an improvement in terms of power and throttle response, the bike is snappier now. I took some pics with my mobile which I will try to add later but at the moment my laptop is stuffed and cant download the pics.

The thing is, I was a little tired when I went to the exhaust shop today, so it just now occured to me that since the guy didn't mod the stock baffle instead made a whole new baffle, I could have turned the stock can into shorty. What do you guys think? Maybe someone can photochop a shorty stock can? Should I go back and get a stock shorty made or keep it as a sleeper?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
treyzx10r said:
now that you increased the flow if you re-map you should see some H.P. gains:thumbsup:
Can't re-map coz I don't have a PC3 and I don't want to buy one cause there aren't any good tuners around, and I don't think a downloaded map is worth the hassle. I know the bike isn't running 100% with changed flow but isn't running that bad either.

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
Hattori Hanzo said:
Can't re-map coz I don't have a PC3 and I don't want to buy one cause there aren't any good tuners around, and I don't think a downloaded map is worth the hassle. I know the bike isn't running 100% with changed flow but isn't running that bad either.
you're right there:thumbsup: I have a custom map with a slip on and my ridin bro has a full system with a download map and only has me by a couple of ponies. Getting any pop on decel?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
treyzx10r said:
you're right there:thumbsup: I have a custom map with a slip on and my ridin bro has a full system with a download map and only has me by a couple of ponies. Getting any pop on decel?
Yeah, it's daytime here and did not ride with friends, so I'm not sure but some of the popping sounds like its spitting flames.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rock_Star said:
Sorry I hate to do this but.....
:ttiwwop:

or a video....
I will try to download the pics tonight and if someone pm me a dummies guide to making video clips, i can shoot a clip with my camera and download.

The pics of the inside might give you an idea of what has been done but from outside it looks stock which is what some of this thread is about. Should i shorten it or leave it stock? Also they scratched it quite a bit during cutting, welding, hammering, filing process' so should i paint it black or silver?

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ZEDX10R06 said:
sounds like the mod you can get on ebay.

we did the same thing at the shop, looks stock and sounds a little better.
a little? Mine sounds alot better, i'd say on par with a slip-on. The exhaust guy changed the baffle and the packing material and made it straigh through, the only thing left stock is the outside (don't think outside has much affect on sound). I'll try to post a sound clip but first i have to record it and learn how to turn it into wmv.

·
Registered
361 Posts
the piece they put inside didn't look like this?

I'll try to stop by and get some pictures of the one that was done at the shop. he used the stock end pipe out the back so it realy looks stock.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ZEDX10R06 said:
the piece they put inside didn't look like this?
Yes looked exactly like that minus the enlarged end section. Then one end welded to the bottom section that has 3 bolts the other end to the muffler/baffle tip that goes into the outside tip. Then wrapped with packing material and assembled back.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
05Zixxer said:
I miss Turkey...

After the latest bombing in Antalya, I doubt I'll be going back.:headshake
Yeah that's what those mofos do, they are tryin to kill the tourism and make it look bad to the outside world. But i still recommend you give it another chance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts