Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year, I had my stock rear shock done by Michael Alex of Suspension Technologies in Pinellas Park, FL. This guy is Da Man.

I didn't know much about shocks and didn't even have the vocabulary to tell him what was wrong with it, just that it didn't feel right. He explained to me some of the known problems (like a leaky air bladder?) and recommended a few fixes.

Once I gave him the go ahead, he put the shock on a dyno, showed me the graph (which I had no idea how to read) and gave me several before and after printouts: Once I learned exactly what i was looking at, I understood just how bad our stock shock is, at only 5000 miles or so.

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Once re-worked, it looked like this: Just about what a shock SHOULD look like!

Anybody who rides and doesn't know how to read a shock dyno chart should look it up. It's an eye opener.

Attachments

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re-spring for my weight, add a 10mm spacer above the shock (Home Depot washers) and the bike was magically transformed. Best money I ever spent, at a fraction of the cost of a new shock. I also learned that as bad as our stock shocks are, the forks are actually pretty good. After 14000 miles I still enjoy immensly.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,664 Posts
Yup, those guys are local to me and very impressed with them. Had mine done there as well.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Does he have a good email? The email [email protected] doesn't work. I bought a spare shock that I want them to spring to my weight.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,664 Posts
Honestly, it's best to call them. Their website blows and they're not tell big on email from what I gather. But call and talk to them to get the info.

·
Chairman of the Board
16,020 Posts
Sheesh, those are an eye opener. I cant imagine how much better it felt after that.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Yeah, re-working the shock makes it so much better. I sent mine off to gp suspension and had similar results.

Either way you look at it (re-working oem / aftermarket), you're spending 400+ that you won't get back when your bike eventually goes away. Either you sell it with the oem, or sell a used aftermarket and bolt the oem back on.

Both cost around the same in the end. I just wish I had deeper pockets for the aftermarket bling :)

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,664 Posts
Yeah, re-working the shock makes it so much better. I sent mine off to gp suspension and had similar results.

Either way you look at it (re-working oem / aftermarket), you're spending 400+ that you won't get back when your bike eventually goes away. Either you sell it with the oem, or sell a used aftermarket and bolt the oem back on.

Both cost around the same in the end. I just wish I had deeper pockets for the aftermarket bling :)
Suspension Technologies is about half of that cost of that. :hello:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I don't know how you guys can build up confidence and trust in a unit that is not worth its weight as a boat anchor.

You're just polishing a turd when you spend money on an OEM shock in terms of both performance and the mental aspect of it. Ask ANY racer in the world that doesn't have to pay for their own parts if they would sign a contact to run a bike in any series with a "reworked" OEM shock for the season and they will laugh you right out of the room.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I don't know how you guys can build up confidence and trust in a unit that is not worth its weight as a boat anchor.

You're just polishing a turd when you spend money on an OEM shock in terms of both performance and the mental aspect of it. Ask ANY racer in the world that doesn't have to pay for their own parts if they would sign a contact to run a bike in any series with a "reworked" OEM shock for the season and they will laugh you right out of the room.
Yup, but we do have to pay for our stuff and I can't afford a Penske right now.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Yup, but we do have to pay for our stuff and I can't afford a Penske right now.

I get that, but every dollar you spend on band-aiding the OEM unit just puts you that much further from the goal of having the Penske.

I mean what you are really purchasing when paying for quality suspension is a greater margin of error and a larger margin of safety. You get to ride faster with less drama. How much is that really worth to you?

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
LDH, I understand your point...
but I have to pay for my stuff, My idea is to buy a mechatronic one when I have almost 2 grand burning my pockets..

for now since I ride on the street very hard, I just need a better than oem unit that has shit rebound...

I will get better than oem fit for my style and weight for a couple of hundred dolars, that WILL never work like a XXX oohlins top of the line... but it wil have to work for now that Im tight on the budget.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
LDH, I understand your point...
but I have to pay for my stuff, My idea is to buy a mechatronic one when I have almost 2 grand burning my pockets..

for now since I ride on the street very hard, I just need a better than oem unit that has shit rebound...

I will get better than oem fit for my style and weight for a couple of hundred dolars, that WILL never work like a XXX oohlins top of the line... but it wil have to work for now that Im tight on the budget.
+1
I'll do a track day with OEM and then take it to them to compare.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,664 Posts
I get that, but every dollar you spend on band-aiding the OEM unit just puts you that much further from the goal of having the Penske.

I mean what you are really purchasing when paying for quality suspension is a greater margin of error and a larger margin of safety. You get to ride faster with less drama. How much is that really worth to you?

Everything you are saying is valid. The point here is the cost/benefit of it. The OEM shock can be made to work a lot better than it comes on the bike. It can't be made to work as good as some aftermarket ones. But spending 10-20% of the cost of aftermarket to gain a marked improvement over stock is the idea here. The mods being done here are under $200. Not $500+ which adds much more weight to your argument against it. But in this case, most of the people doing this care enough to improve the bike and spend a little bit of money to do it without breaking the bank.

Everything has a cost/benefit to It based on needs and wants. I can easily justify $200-$300 for improving the bike a lot. I can't justify over $1000 that easily. I know I'd benefit more from that upgrade, but the kids need food and daycare paid for. I work with what I have. Both in terms of money and the way I ride.

Now where is scout? He'll tell you not to touch the bike at all and the suspension is perfect the way it is! :lol:

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Everything you are saying is valid. The point here is the cost/benefit of it. The OEM shock can be made to work a lot better than it comes on the bike. It can't be made to work as good as some aftermarket ones. But spending 10-20% of the cost of aftermarket to gain a marked improvement over stock is the idea here. The mods being done here are under $200. Not $500+ which adds much more weight to your argument against it. But in this case, most of the people doing this care enough to improve the bike and spend a little bit of money to do it without breaking the bank.

Everything has a cost/benefit to It based on needs and wants. I can easily justify $200-$300 for improving the bike a lot. I can't justify over $1000 that easily. I know if benefit more from that upgrade, but the kids need food and daycare paid for. I work with what I have. Both in terms of money and the way I ride.

Now where is scout? He'll tell you not to touch the bike at all and the suspension is perfect the way it is! :lol:

You have a $15,000 bike that you want to ride like you stole and most want to do it on the race track all of which is inherently dangerous all the way around and expensive....

From that point you cannot throw the family, food and daycare up as an excuse when you are disregarding the #1 one thing that can help bridge the gap between an accident/injury or maintaining control of your motorcycle when it all goes wrong out there on the track. Good Suspension will save your ass way more than luck or riding gear alone will. When the bike is compliant underneath you you stand a much better chance of it remaining composed and you regaining control than you do if the suspension is fighting you every step of the way. Even if you don't keep it on the track you still stand a much better chance of keeping it on 2 wheels versus laying it down in the kitty litter when the suspension is working for you. More importantly the suspension can be the difference between even having an incident versus no drama at all just because everything is working better all the way around.

If you are really worried about putting food on the table and being able to go to work after you've been out wrestling your 450lb missile around a racetrack all weekend then the smartest move anyone can make is to spend all you can afford on your suspension.

One shock is a helluva lot cheaper than one trip to the hospital after you wad up.

Just for clarification I do not make any commission etc. I am not speaking as a salesperson, but as a test rider and instructor.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts