Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I originally attempted to hook this up about a year ago with no luck, so I gave up.

Well I got a new roommate and coincidentally he is an electrical engineer, and he has all the tools I need to do some electrical investigation.

Basically what we found out is that the circuit that runs from the +12v from the battery to the OEM trigger is good, but after going through the OEM trigger's circuit the voltage is degraded to 5.5 MILLIVOLTS!

My question is how can i fix this? I don't want to install another switch, because I would really like to use my OEM trigger, but how I replace/upgrade the cables and/or the trigger itself?

·
Registered
31 Posts
the connection at the stock horn - use that to power the coil on the relay.
if the stock horn doesn't work you have problems....

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
you can use the output from the horn to trigger a relay for the new horn :)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
you can use the output from the horn to trigger a relay for the new horn :)
right. that's what i'm trying to say. the output of the stock horn is 5.5 millivolts. it needs 12 volts.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Sorry to state the obvious, but have you checked your fuses????

·
Registered
801 Posts
Wouldn't your friend know the answer to this if he is an electrical engineer

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to state the obvious, but have you checked your fuses????
well we checked the resistance and when the circuit is completed it goes from infinite ohms to 0 ohms, which means a circuit is completed. which means that the fuse must be in tact.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wouldn't your friend know the answer to this if he is an electrical engineer
i would like to think so, but he's not familiar on how to replace or repair the horn-switch circuitry on the 2005 zx-6r

·
Registered
209 Posts
the 5.5mV you are reading is nothing, meaning without a doubt you have a faulty horn switch... i doubt it's to hard to fix though, strip it down and clean it up and all should be well

i fitted a nautilus horn other day, you have to use a relay as the stock horn is only a few amps and the nautilus is something like 18amps @ 12v, so without a relay you will cook your horn button

i pulled out stock horn and ran wires from that to the relay coil. then the switched contacts on relay powered up horn with a direct feed from battery via a 20a inline fuse.

nautilus should come with a relay, well mine did :)

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah my nautilus came with a relay.

i'm just going to re-run and re-solder the cables for the horn with 14g wire. hopefully that will do it.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The relay is probably your best bet, but I can't imagine that the switch would cook from periodic use of the horn. I mean, unless you guys are cruising around honking at girls all day. LOL.

How much does something like that weigh? The stock horn isn't light by any means, but that looks pretty chunky.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it's because i originally ran it without the relay and it sucked.

it's not light, no.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol

well i rewired the horn with 14g wire and that works but i fucked something else up and my blinkers don't work now, ha.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts