Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to a local track this morning, first time out there on the 10R and i was having a blast, but that didn't last too long.. Around 10 minutes into the first session they raised the red flag bc someone went down, soon as I slowed down it sounded like my motor got louder and vibrated more. I pitted in, gave it a few revs, and sure enough it was making a slight clatter/chattering noise only when revving it. At idle it sounds fine. Bike still starts and goes without a hitch, but it's definitely the stator that fkd everything up. Damn you 04's..

Thankfully I have a friend that has an 05 motor laying around so it'll be getting swapped out soon. Bike only had 10k miles on it. :sad:

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
If its just the stator why are you replacing the hole engine. I'm no mechanic or anything but I think that doesnt make sense but please correct me if I'm wrong. Now if its knocking and miss firing I could understand or something. But back on topic thats shity man, at least you have a back up!!

·
Registered
23,742 Posts
I think he means the Generator....that is an Engine replacement for the 04s and 05s just not as common on 05s....sucks it's hit and miss as many more members had hard miles on 04s with no problems and some did with much less miles like you. :dontknow:

Anyway the 05 model should not do the same if it's the same thing and related to Generator Blow up....other than a few minor suspension settings and generator washers the 05 is NO different than an 04...the higher Gens have taken care of any semi-mass related problems to the Generator. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whoops, sorry bout that, generator is what i meant. i'm surprised at how much the generators alone sell for, and how that damn thing can cause all that damage.

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
that sucks, what a pain in the arse

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the generator on my 04 shit it self about 6 months ago picked up
one for $150 made sure it had the updated parts and its was all
go again .the hardest part is cleaning all the magnetic bits
out of the gears
cheap! seems like what we're gonna do is throw in the 05 motor and take apart the 04 to see how bad it's eff'd up. if it's not too bad i'll see if we can clean it up and i can keep it as a spare.

·
Registered
2004 ZX-10R
778 Posts
Sorry, but are you absolutely sure about the generator? Have you checked the charging circuit out?

The noise may be a cam chain tensioner issue.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pretty sure, it's over at my friends house right now, but he started it up the other day and it was knocking extremely loud, so loud that his dad came out wondering wtf is going on lol so it was immediately turned off. Afterwards the oil was drained and he said it appeared really gunky with a crapload of stuff stuck onto the magnetic drain bolt. Pretty sure that motor is toast but we'll know for sure when we rip it apart, I'll post pics 2 weeks from now.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,562 Posts
How am I just now seeing this? LOL. Allen called called me last week and told me about it!
That really sucks dude. My 04 has 19k miles and not a problem from her. . . .
I think he's gonna meet up with me Friday so y'all can borrow my lift to drop the motor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Went to a local track this morning, first time out there on the 10R and i was having a blast, but that didn't last too long.. Around 10 minutes into the first session they raised the red flag bc someone went down, soon as I slowed down it sounded like my motor got louder and vibrated more. I pitted in, gave it a few revs, and sure enough it was making a slight clatter/chattering noise only when revving it. At idle it sounds fine. Bike still starts and goes without a hitch, but it's definitely the stator that fkd everything up. Damn you 04's..

Thankfully I have a friend that has an 05 motor laying around so it'll be getting swapped out soon. Bike only had 10k miles on it. :sad:
I feel your pain! I was in the canyons with my girl on the back & I suddenly notice the back end was getting a little squirrelly around curves. Then there was a noise that was coming from the engine that was responding to the throttle. Then I looked down & saw the red light flashing & oil light on. So, I clutched & killed engine, pulled over & noticed the oil trail behind.:eek: To my overwhelming joy:BangHead:, I notice the oil plug fell out during OUR ride. Towed it home. Added same oil I had just changed it with earlier that day :donkey2: (fully syn Repsol). Started & idled fine. So took it out for a test ride. Immediatley felt a loss of power. Then, next day road it my buddies shop for some help. Road it, thought it was fine (obviously never road a ZX10-R b4). Finally, after leaving on way home it was clattering/chattering inside, what sounded like the heads??? :dontknow: Not sure... Any help or suggestions for lowest cost repair much appreciated. Before I take this thing apart without a clue what might be wrong & how to fix.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds to me like you need a mechanic plain and simple man...
Am hoping amongst all my fellow ZX10R bretheren there would be some that know what is wrong.:sad:

·
Registered
97 Posts
That sucks but like others have said, at least you have a back up. I had one go on an 02 R1 that I had but luckily its mounted on the outside of the gearbox on the left side of the motor so if something bad happens it doesn't take the whole engine out. It was a bitch to get off the shaft though. Yamaha shows a stator pulling tool in their manual but when you call the dealer and give them the part number of the tool they say there is no such tool:dontknow: I had to customize a gear puller and broke 3 of them before it finally came off.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Am hoping amongst all my fellow ZX10R bretheren there would be some that know what is wrong.:sad:
Unfortunately, running with little or no oil will probably warrant an engine teardown. There could be a shitload of parts that have gone bad or it may just be a few but there is no way to tell until you tear it apart. At the very least the heads will have to come off for inspection. If you have a service manual it's not that tough of a job. G/L with it!

·
Registered
363 Posts
You at least need new bearings, perhaps rods, and maybe a crank. Hopefully you didn't smack a piston into a valve. If you're extremely lucky, only the first will be needed, but since you have run it a couple times after re-filling it with oil, the damage was made worse - you should have never restarted it after running it dry.

I see a new motor in your future.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Unfortunately, running with little or no oil will probably warrant an engine teardown. There could be a shitload of parts that have gone bad or it may just be a few but there is no way to tell until you tear it apart. At the very least the heads will have to come off for inspection. If you have a service manual it's not that tough of a job. G/L with it!
Well so far I spent all day Sunday with a buddy of mine :beer2: (lucky he is since he rides 07 R1:thefinger) taking the engine out. I do have manual but 1st time pulling an engine out of anything. Tinkered with it Monday. Took the oil pan off found metal shavings of a copper color. Looked inside up at the crank & rods, of what I could see there was one rod & cap that looked a bit discolored. Like a brownish color. (Stopped there cuz the trans scares the crap out of me:pale:) So I pulled the TB off & the valve cover. Chain appears to be tight. One thing I did notice is there looks like a bit of oil around one fo the valves you can see after taking just the VC off...? Next, is taking the crank apart. Thanks for the well wishes! I'll need them tomorrow when I start the main tear down.:ayyy:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts