Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a little ashamed to post on the boards for some help here, but I'm getting to the point where I am so darn frustrated I'm wondering if anyone else has ever had this issue. I am by no stretch of the imagination a beginner, but this is my first liter bike, and on my past bikes, power wheelies were very easy to anticipate, if i gave it WOT, it might lift. However, on the gen 4 acceleration can be brutal and power wheelies sometimes catch you by surprise.. Here is where my issue comes in

Under maximum acceleration (not max throttle) in first gear, I am trying as hard as i can to grip the tank up and stay super light on the bars, but still come on she is pulling like a freight train and you can't help but hold onto the bars some.. and my issue

Every single time i get caught off guard on a small power wheelie I am turning the front wheel towards the right, which is making for some very shakey and terrifying landings going around 100mph. I feel as though I am almost falling off that side when I am full prone only and pinning the throttle, which results in me grabbing too hard on that side. I try to adjust my body, and find myself hanging off to the left and asking myself, what the fu+k is wrong with me! Is it body position, still too tight of a grip on the bars, or even mental. Just wondering if any of you in your earlier years of riding a liter bike had some bad habits/tendencies and how u worked on them

As always thanks fellas

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Yeah man. A lot of people have a problem turning the bars and pulling to the right when doing wheelies. What it sounds like to me is your trying to force the bike to do what you want. Work on letting the bike do the work and you just hold on. Gripping the tank with your legs will definitely help. But a lot of people fall into the bad habit of trying to pull back on the bars not only in hard acceleration but trying o do wheelies. Really work on just twisting the throttle and holding on evenly with both hands. Just think about what your doing when your doing it. :thumbsup: I know it's a lot to do when your hauling ass but you have to break yourself of that bad habit.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,630 Posts
You're not twisting the throttle, you're pulling it. You need to learn how to control the throttle with your right hand without exerting pressure and pulling the bar to the right. And also be able to re-center the bars properly before the front wheel touches back down.

You need to slow down a bit, refocus your tasks and work up to getting more comfortable with the controls and how they affect the bike. It may be hard to admit, but I don't think you're actually riding the bike....I think it's taking you for a ride. And that's never a good thing. Step back and try to retrain yourself out of these habits and the rest will fall into place.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Totally understand where you both are coming from and really appreciate the advice from two guys who I know what they are talking about. And I'm not afraid to admit when I might be overpowered at times, I think you are right skydork it may be good to slow down a tad for a bit and work up to that point again. I also see what you mean by pulling it to turn it instead of simply twisting it. and magma I am definitely trying to force the living snot out of the bike so i agree, really need to loosen up a bit. thanks fella's as always i really appreciate the advice

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
What I think would also help. Is if you can find a shaved seat try it. Either you'll hate it or love it. But it puts you so much more in the bike rather than on it. It kinda plants your ass better. Personally after riding with a shaved seat to me it's like gp shift. Once you try it you'll never go back. Just take your time and get used to your bike man. The power is there you just have to learn how to use it right.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Sky dork and magma just wanna give you guys props kinda new to the forum but you seem like two stand up guys nice to know there are still good people out their:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Good luck controlling wheelies without a quickshifter. Without a quickshifter on my bike it was wheelie city. With a quickshifter I could go WOT
(from about 70 mph) from 1st to 6th without any wheelies and at the same time putting german bikes in the rear view. Get a quick shifter and thank me later.
You can call me if you want to discuss further.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Sky dork and magma just wanna give you guys props kinda new to the forum but you seem like two stand up guys nice to know there are still good people out their:thumbsup:
I appreciate that man. I will never steer anyone wrong with what has worked for me. and sky dork definitely knows his shit as well. Like him I'm all for helpin a fello rider out. :eek:ccasion:

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Good luck controlling wheelies without a quickshifter. Without a quickshifter on my bike it was wheelie city. With a quickshifter I could go WOT
(from about 70 mph) from 1st to 6th without any wheelies and at the same time putting german bikes in the rear view. Get a quick shifter and thank me later.
You can call me if you want to discuss further.
I've rode my wheelies for almost 10 years without a quick shifter. :mrgreen: but I can see where it would help.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I've rode my wheelies for almost 10 years without a quick shifter. :mrgreen: but I can see where it would help.

But while you are off the gas shifting the other guy is WOT in every gear without worries. Old school still works but there is always a better way to do it.:eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Urban I dont disagree with your theorie, I dont think that is what the OP needs though, I think that falls into a more advanced catagory.

I agree with Sky and Magma. Slow it down a little, relax, and focus on a few more of the basics. Once you get more comfortable you will be going fast and doing it easily in no time.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
I noticed this is in racing section so can only assume we are talking circuit tracks here...other than the starting line of a race, when are you riding in first gear on a track?

Sent via iPhone

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I noticed this is in racing section so can only assume we are talking circuit tracks here...other than the starting line of a race, when are you riding in first gear on a track?

Sent via iPhone
Track, twisties, and the 1/4 mile all of which i have done at least once, and all of which require at some point being in first gear. No need to ignore a problem when i can ask for help to better myself as a rider

Sent from my DROID2 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
But while you are off the gas shifting the other guy is WOT in every gear without worries. Old school still works but there is always a better way to do it.:eek:ccasion1
Wide open is the last thing you wanna be when your riding a wheelie. Sure chasing low wheelies maybe but that'll flip you over quicker than anything.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
I control wheelies just fine with the throttle. :dontknow:
While you are controlling wheelies with the throttle the guy with a quick shifter is WOT the entire time.
I have nothing against old school shifting and wheelies.
I just prefer quick shifters and no wheelies.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
While you are controlling wheelies with the throttle the guy with a quick shifter is WOT the entire time.
I have nothing against old school shifting and wheelies.
I just prefer quick shifters and no wheelies.
I have a quickshifter on my bike and it still floats the front end 1st-3rd gear. I'm not following you on how a quickshifter keeps the front end down.

·
ZX-10R enthusiast
6,556 Posts
Track, twisties, and the 1/4 mile all of which i have done at least once, and all of which require at some point being in first gear. No need to ignore a problem when i can ask for help to better myself as a rider

Sent from my DROID2 using Motorcycle.com Free App
Ok then.

Track...not sure why you even need to be in first other than at the starting line...:dontknow:

Street...what do you need to worry about controlling the front wheel coming up in 1st? Are you racing someone?

Strip...clutch control

1 - 20 of 39 Posts