Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My custom gear shift indicator, part 2

So I have been designing a gear shift indicator using a micro controller.

Here are the results of my efforts - with full ghetto installation.

Before you ask, this is just my prototype board, to prove that the circuit works.

Next step is to order a custom board, and small surface mounted parts. The entire board won't be bigger than display itself. I will also get a white 7-segment display to match the console.

Mounting it attractively will be an issue though. I went to a junk yard and popped out a bunch of blank button panels from dead cars. Those might be able to serve as a fairly attractive bezel.
I'll update this thread with more pictures once I get the custom board in.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Mine started out looking and testing that way but my electronics are in a hidden box as you know. I have these 1” Common Anode LED displays with white color segments when off and colors Red, Green, Blue and yellow when on. If you pay for shipping via. PayPal you can have them:

• 1.0" (25.4mm) Digit Height
• Common Anode
BivarOpto Seven Segment displays represent the industry’s highest level of uniformity
and segment-to-segment consistency. Each display has been engineered to the highest
industry standards and designed to meet the information display needs of the most
demanding industrial, commercial and medical applications.
• Packaged in ESD Tubes
• Right Hand Decimal
www.bivar.com 96 cage code (FSCM) 32559 © copyright 2004 Bivar Inc.
Electro-Optical
LED Chip Lens Absolute Max. Ratings Data @10mA
Part No. Peak Wave Appearance Vf Iv
Material Length Emitted Color ∆Pd If Peak (V) (mcd)
p(nm) (nm) (mW) (mA) If (mA) TYP MAX TYP
BD-10804BW InGaN 465 BLUE DIFFUSED 10 100 20 80 6.8 7.8 6.0
BD-10804G GaP/GaP 565 GREEN DIFFUSED 30 120 25 100 4.2 5.2 6.0
BD-10804Y GaAsP/GaP 585 YELLOW DIFFUSED 35 100 20 80 4.3 5.2 6.0
BD-10804E GaAsP/GaP 630 RED DIFFUSED 40 120 25 100 4.1 5.2 6.0

bloo

·
Registered
356 Posts
Great job man.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mine started out looking and testing that way but my electronics are in a hidden box as you know. I have these 1” Common Anode LED displays with white color segments when off and colors Red, Green, Blue and yellow when on.

bloo
I thought about the 1" display, but I decided on the smaller 0.6", because I think the 1" will end up dominating the gauge cluster. Just my personal opinion though.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Does it come in blue? ;) Semi seriously, a blue readout wouldn't be as distracting in the cluster.
Cool beans. I wish I had the time to design and make stuff like that. All the electronics I took in college is long out of my mind and replaced by how to allocate my work across a dozen account codes.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I thought about the 1" display, but I decided on the smaller 0.6", because I think the 1" will end up dominating the gauge cluster. Just my personal opinion though.
will all the electronic parts fit in that small of a display?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yep pretty much. I am using all miniature surface-mount components. However there will be a small part of circuit board jutting out below (or above) the display for a power smoothing capacitor.
Once I get it assembled I will post pics. I ordered my board through batchpcb.com and they are taking their sweet time. The price it right though

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does it come in blue? ;) Semi seriously, a blue readout wouldn't be as distracting in the cluster.
Cool beans. I wish I had the time to design and make stuff like that. All the electronics I took in college is long out of my mind and replaced by how to allocate my work across a dozen account codes.
Yeah I could make it with whatever color you want. Let me get the first (non-ghetto) one working before I think about producing anything though :)

·
MIdlife PIMP
3,459 Posts
me too!!.my gipro skips readout position with throttle movement too much!!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I'll give you 60 bucks. as long as you have detailed instructions for the install. PM sent.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Congrats....you did a great job :eek:ccasion1

Now, I would like to offer you 1 of my custom Gear Indicators to compare...mostly how it transitions between gears meaning delay so a video will be appropriate in this case. let me know if your game. Again great job just curious :thumbsup:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Congrats....you did a great job :eek:ccasion1

Now, I would like to offer you 1 of my custom Gear Indicators to compare...mostly how it transitions between gears meaning delay so a video will be appropriate in this case. let me know if your game. Again great job just curious :thumbsup:
I could be up for that, how complicated & invasive is the wiring?

Also, the transition delay is pretty much instantaneous.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts