Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to attend a track day at NJMP August 1st or 2nd, with Evolve GT.

This’ll be my first track day, on my 2017 ZX10RR. The bike will have a full set of sliders and everything on it. Any tips or advice for my first go, or anything specific to tracking a gen 5? Also what tires would you recommend? I have a set of M7RRs that are due for replacement. I’m not attached to any one brand, but I’m not a huge fan of the feel the M7RRs give.

·
Registered
18 zx10r
345 Posts
Oh. First td ever. Congrats. You should be fine with those tires is they have adequate life left. Make sure to ask the coaches there when you have any questions. They should be quite helpful.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! Ah, yeah sorry that wasn’t clear. I meant to get into TDs with my previous 650, and it just never happened before I kinda fell into the 10RR. Hindsight 20/20 I should’ve kept the 650 to thrash and gotten the 10RR anyways.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Two things:
Relax. Don’t try to be Jonathan Rea your first track day. You’re going to have a blast, and you’re on a bike that has more horsies than clint in a spaghetti westerns. And literally relax too. You want it to flow, not be tenser than a crazy in a straight jacket. Have patience, lap times only get faster if you do it right.

Invest in tires:
Being on the track is expensive. It’s worse than a drug habit for your bank account. Since you’re financially risking thousands per corner, isn’t it smart to know your rubber is suited for what you’re doing? Each manufacturer has a “track day” level tire that doesn’t require warmers. Do your research and buy a new set to put on.

oh and a third thing: make friends. Talk to everyone, the fastest guy, the slowest, the dude with the nice bike, the dude with the ugly one. everyone wants to talk motorcycles, and everyone wants to help everyone else get faster at a track day. But they don’t want to hear about your lap times.

As long as your pace doesn’t overcome your talent you’re gonna have a great time. Enjoy!

·
Registered
224 Posts
ill second ajinouye...relax and dont be jonathan rea. i did one track day and got all confident until i ate it in a corner. Really ruined my day and my wallet. Take it easy. It was a blast til i crashed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts