·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any advise to give me?

·
Newfie Bullet
2,341 Posts
tripple chk for bike prep..lotsa sleep a cpl days before,take a cpl lite meals(nothin to beefy cause it will tire you out),lotsa streching and maybe a cpl energy drinks like red bull and 5 hr energy..banannas,oranges just munchies for in between sessions..

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I'll be coaching there this weekend, I assume you will be in art level 1? Track has tons of grip and is very fun. Make sure you bring a gas can as there is no fuel at the track. See you trackside

-Tim

Attachments

·
Does not drive into smoke
2,156 Posts
Any advise to give me?
Here's my experience: For my first track day (after a racing school a long, long, long time before that), I signed up for the intermediate group and an advanced riding school. I wanted the best bang for the buck and I didn't want to go through the basic stuff again. I was a bit afraid that I will turn out to be too slow for it, so at the track I had the tendency to go fast. That actually made it harder for me to learn things, and my best sessions that day were after I took it easy and slowed down. I was passed by people, but it wasn't a pass-me-fest or anything outrageous.

Take your mind off what other people are doing, and focus on your own riding. People generally don't care if you're slow but predictable.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Here's my experience: For my first track day (after a racing school a long, long, long time before that), I signed up for the intermediate group and an advanced riding school. I wanted the best bang for the buck and I didn't want to go through the basic stuff again. I was a bit afraid that I will turn out to be too slow for it, so at the track I had the tendency to go fast. That actually made it harder for me to learn things, and my best sessions that day were after I took it easy and slowed down. I was passed by people, but it wasn't a pass-me-fest or anything outrageous.

Take your mind off what other people are doing, and focus on your own riding. People generally don't care if you're slow but predictable.
:+1:0000000000 Slow Is fast, and fast is slow. Take time to learn the track and your brake makers before you go fast. When I was in beginner they actually did drills with me( ie no brakes, 1 gear no shifting) that way you can focus on getting the apex right. Go out there and have a good time!

·
Is still Slo
1,538 Posts
Hydrate..... I usually start about 5 days before, I cut out my coffee and soda and drink a lot of water.

Sometimes it's hard to sleep before a big trackday or race, so sometimes I take a benedryl early enough for it to completely wear off by track time.

So you don't forget ANYTHING, maybe have everything in your garage on the floor or living room.

Gloves
back protector
leathers
boots (I have forgotten this before once arriving at the track)
socks
underarmor (highly recommended not just to keep you cool....but much easier to remove leathers after you have been sweating)
bike key (forgotten this once as well)
cooler and drinks/food/snacks
helmet
fold up chair
canopy (if needed)
fuel/jug
tire pressure gauge
basic tools
painters tape

probably some other things for you..... but those are some of the basics.

Have fun out there!!! You will be excited but also nervous, it's normal. Hardest things to remember is to breathe.....stay loose with your arms(relax), try not to go too fast. It's hard to learn the proper technique, lines, braking points, etc while trying to go warp speed.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll be coaching there this weekend, I assume you will be in art level 1? Track has tons of grip and is very fun. Make sure you bring a gas can as there is no fuel at the track. See you trackside

-Tim
Yup, will be there on Sunday Tim. All advise has been taken and I hope to have fun!:mrgreen:

·
Is still Slo
1,538 Posts
Yup, will be there on Sunday Tim. All advise has been taken and I hope to have fun!:mrgreen:
Welcome to the addiction....and you thought it was fun to just buy a bike and ride???

The track is worse than crack, you will go on ramen diets for prolonged periods to get parts....

you will give up spending time doing extra fun things with women to .....goto the track haha.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Welcome to the addiction....and you thought it was fun to just buy a bike and ride???

The track is worse than crack, you will go on ramen diets for prolonged periods to get parts....

you will give up spending time doing extra fun things with women to .....goto the track haha.
:crackup: lol all true.

·
Registered
276 Posts

:+2:

And during the months of the year, when the track isn't open, you'll dream about the track...thinking about how to go faster.

·
Is still Slo
1,538 Posts
I forgot to mention....ear plugs. Not just to save your ears, you would be surprised at how much it saves you fatiguing earlier. Also for many, it let's you allow to feel the bike more.

And for new'ish people the sound can be deciving....the whole "perception" which I will save for another topic haha. Just like covering the mph cluster with a piece of tape, of if you have a 4th gen, put it in race mode so you don't see just how fast your going.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
WOoooooooooooooooWWWWW!!!!!! One of the best experiences in my life!!! Ninja187, I saw your bike but Billy said that you were there Sat and not Sunday. Bike ran hard and the back straight at the track was awsome!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
WOoooooooooooooooWWWWW!!!!!! One of the best experiences in my life!!! Ninja187, I saw your bike but Billy said that you were there Sat and not Sunday. Bike ran hard and the back straight at the track was awsome!
Glad you had a good time:thumbsup: Couldn't stick around for Sunday, was getting flack from the significant other about how I'm spending all my free time at the track. Let me know when youre next TPM date is:helmet:

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe next month on the 19th I will go.... I'm in the middle of a move now so hopefully everything will be settled in by then. BUT I will defininitly be going real soon. Those guys at the track were very informative and knew what they were talking about. I admit, it is very adictive

·
Is still Slo
1,538 Posts
I admit, it is very adictive
This is only the beginning haha. Just wait until you start noticing on each session, the improvements you make. The better you get to know the track and the more your skills improve, the worse the addiction gets :thumbsup:

You will also truely start understand all the track verbage you hear about and ready in magazines.... Just wait until you do a few more trackdays, then watch a BSB, WSBK, or motogp race and you will be in twice as much awe than normal.

Instead of watching slow motion clips on them sliding...you will start looking for elbows, head/shoulder postions, feet, back, etc.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts