Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First my bikes set up. K+N street filter, Guhl flash, Bazaaz with tune from Evan Steele Performance, and M4 gp exhaust. Otherwise its stock with no changes to the street set up or wheel base. I was lower on fuel had about 95 miles on the tank and weighed the bike it was 416 on its own and I added 220lbs with gear. Went out to SIR in Tucson, AZ last night.

My first run was embarrassing off the line I didn't try to launch and it was like the bike was stuck in glue off the line then it finally took off and I ran a 12.8 at 130mph. Then I started working on my launches and it was still slow off the line no matter what I did my 60' times were all in the 2 second range. Id loose ground off the line then when the bike got into the powerband I was running people down and finishing just behind them. I was trying to launch at 6K rpm and be out of the clutch and full throttle by the time I crossed the tree. My bike just feels horrible off the line and it was crazy the jump people were getting on me. My buddy had a stock GSXR 1000 and wasn't launching and was still killing me off the line. The only way I beat him was my RT was decent every now and then. My best 1/4 was 11.517. I'll try to upload some slips. I'm on them as "car 900" or on my best I'm listed as red. I need to find another member that has a gen4 and let them run my bike to see if its me or if there is something wrong with the bike. It just seems way too slow off the line to be the gearing.

Ok I can't figure out how to upload from my phone I'll type my slips in a bit later.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
First run.

RT .135
60' 2.871
330 6.725
1/8 9.148
Mph 102.80
1000 11.198

1/4 12.895

Mph 130.20

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My last / best 1/4 time

RT .015
60' 2.276
330 5.556
1/8 7.891
MPH 106.50
1000 9.849

1/4 11.517
MPH 134.97

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My best MPH

Rt..410
60'2.370
330. 5.613
1/8 7.920
MPH. 107.10
1000. 9.862
1/4 11.523
MPH. 135.52

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
That's a start man!! Really your problem is your getting off the clutch way to soon. Being a heavier guy your really gonna need to slip the hell out of the clutch to get going. Gsxr 1000's transmissions are a lot better for the drag strip from the factory. 10's 1st gear is so damn tall you have to slip it well passed the 60' for it to not fall on its face.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was there with 3 guys on busas and my mph were faster but their times were higher. It was kind of funny. It was one guy on the busas first time also and he was running low 12's then the other guy on the busa has run several times and he ran 13.1 as his best. The third guy made it into the 10's.

Next time I go I'll have to bring my camera to get better evidence for critiques.

·
Registered
360 Posts
It's all about getting comfortable on the bike get as flat and far forward as possible. Position on the bike is key. The clutch to throttle swap is the hardest thing to get used to especially on a hydraulic clutch there's less feel. I think there's really two good ways to do it lots of guys like the low rpm get the clutch out fast and hit the throttle quick I prefer the high rpm smash the throttle and ride the clutch. Just try to take it up a notch each pass til u find ur comfort zone with the transfer of clutch to throttle. That bike is def a beast to ride

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Nice times man ! i recomend you pickin up front end strap next time you head out. good thing to do is get a buddy stand at the line beside you while your makin pass he can see things you can't and report back to you after each run. also make notes on each ticket wat rpms you launch from and wat rpms you shifted at this will help you to.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a start man!! Really your problem is your getting off the clutch way to soon. Being a heavier guy your really gonna need to slip the hell out of the clutch to get going. Gsxr 1000's transmissions are a lot better for the drag strip from the factory. 10's 1st gear is so damn tall you have to slip it well passed the 60' for it to not fall on its face.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
I just ordered a 16T front + a 41T rear sprocket set up. After I get those on there do you think I will benefit from being slower out of the clutch?

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
That depends on where you leave on the tach. The (stock) clutch is the weak link in the Gen 4 from what I've been reading; you may not want to be too rough on it unless you have a back-up ready. :) That being said, I was leaving at 6-7K on my gen 2 (SWB, SRH, no strap). I'd try like hell to get it pinned and roll the clutch out, but I always ended up rolling the last bit of the throttle on going by the tree (I'm scared, I'll admit it. :badteeth: ). Best I could ever get it like that was down in the 1.80s sixty foot. I can get a 600 pinned from the 3rd yellow, just can't quite work up the courage on the 1K.

Your MPH didn't look too bad for your weight at SIR. People don't realize how bad the DA is there. ET for me was half a second difference from sea level... mph was down 5-7mph on my old bike.... and it was only trapping 126ish at sea level. I've trapped 142 on a stock 2nd gen there, with the bike at 424lbs and me @ 190ish suited, in decent weather (80+ degrees, DA around 5-6K). Your mph is pretty close for your weight, experience level, and the shitty air there. Shifting technique, consistency, and body position are going to bring your MPH up a bit too. I don't think your bike is making much more power than my stock 2nd gen was, though, based on your numbers alone. I wouldn't sweat it at this point.... seat time should bring it up a bit.

When do you plan on going again? I can bring the GoPro and do some video for ya if you want.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
That depends on where you leave on the tach. The (stock) clutch is the weak link in the Gen 4 from what I've been reading; you may not want to be too rough on it unless you have a back-up ready. :) That being said, I was leaving at 6-7K on my gen 2 (SWB, SRH, no strap). I'd try like hell to get it pinned and roll the clutch out, but I always ended up rolling the last bit of the throttle on going by the tree (I'm scared, I'll admit it. :badteeth: ). Best I could ever get it like that was down in the 1.80s sixty foot. I can get a 600 pinned from the 3rd yellow, just can't quite work up the courage on the 1K.

Your MPH didn't look too bad for your weight at SIR. People don't realize how bad the DA is there. ET for me was half a second difference from sea level... mph was down 5-7mph on my old bike.... and it was only trapping 126ish at sea level. I've trapped 142 on a stock 2nd gen there, with the bike at 424lbs and me @ 190ish suited, in decent weather (80+ degrees, DA around 5-6K). Your mph is pretty close for your weight, experience level, and the shitty air there. Shifting technique, consistency, and body position are going to bring your MPH up a bit too. I don't think your bike is making much more power than my stock 2nd gen was, though, based on your numbers alone. I wouldn't sweat it at this point.... seat time should bring it up a bit.

When do you plan on going again? I can bring the GoPro and do some video for ya if you want.
I'm not sure when the next time I'm going to make it out there is. Working 3rd shift over the weekend makes it hard. I'll let you know though. If I go I'll be with a pretty large group. Last week we had 7 bikes there. I've got a video of my second pass but I can't upload it to YouTube from my phone to show you guys.

When I had my bike on the dyno at ESP for my tune it did 174.5 hp I can't remember the torque though. It was also hot that day like 116 in the shop hot.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Eh, I wouldn't sweat the HP. Mine made 151 @ ECS in phoenix when they were still up there. All dynos are so different it's not even worth comparing one to another. Momentum is the killer... a good pass is a lot like a good drive out of a roadcourse corner: a bike with less HP can accelerate surprisingly fast if the momentum established smoothly and is not interrupted at all. Things like little touches on the rev limiter, sloppy shifting, body in a wierd place... they add up. And most the time shit is happening so quick you don't even know if you did it wrong. In easy terms, a good hook, shifts, body position, and smooth riding will pull MPH out of thin air. ET just comes down with practice & set-up.

It's pretty amazing what all goes into a good/fast drag racing pass.... mucho respect for those fast guys up there giving you advice. :) Some people hate on dragracing, but it's surprisingly complex and technical at the sub-10 second level.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
If it's on a weekend and I can get at least a few days notice I can probably bring a few other guys out there too.... at least 2 of us on 10R's, anyway.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts