Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help my regulator was bad I tested it then replaced it now its good. Now when im riding my guages go out then Rpms drop and it wont start my battery tests good on/off and the voltage drop with ignition is good it also holds charge while running.
When im riding my guages go out then, with steady throttle it pulls then slows down then pulls then slows down like its hesitateing while riding. Wtf could issue be. I tested stator and that is good too. My entire saveings is wrapped up in this bike I need help!
2007 Zx10r mods are
full two bros exhaust thats it
it was droped on the right side also has some rash
4500 miles
just bought it prev owner doesnt know a thing

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,491 Posts
If the dash goes out first, lights get dim, then the bike slowly dies, that's the classic signs of a voltage issue (stator/regulator/battery).

There have been known issues with the stators on the earlier models. First thing I would do is re-check all the electrical charging components. You say you checked your battery, but how? My guess is the bad regulator allowed the battery to die and get to the point where it needs to be replaced. Have you tried to jumpstart the bike? Will it start right away if you do that? Will it stay running if you leave it connected?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im an mmi student here in orlando I did all correct tests on battery vdc same as reg and stator there was a bad diode in reg. All stator volts were in spec.the battery fully charged was about 13.35vdc and had the correct voltage drop when ignition was turned on and kept same volts as it should when bike is running

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
15,491 Posts
Im an mmi student here in orlando I did all correct tests on battery vdc same as reg and stator there was a bad diode in reg. All stator volts were in spec.the battery fully charged was about 13.35vdc and had the correct voltage drop when ignition was turned on and kept same volts as it should when bike is running
Well, the voltage running should be up over 14Vdc while running if the charging system is working properly. The initial voltage and voltage drop are fine on a fully charged battery. What's the voltage on the battery after the bike stops running?

And since you're at MMI, can't you just take it in there and have an instructor troubleshoot it with you as a class project or something? :mrgreen:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well, the voltage running should be up over 14Vdc while running if the charging system is working properly. The initial voltage and voltage drop are fine on a fully charged battery. What's the voltage on the battery after the bike stops running?

And since you're at MMI, can't you just take it in there and have an instructor troubleshoot it with you as a class project or something? :mrgreen:
:+1:

It's electrical. Nothing outside of that is going to cause what you're describing. Trace your lines to and from the battery for cuts and/or hack wiring jobs. My R1 had an electric tape special done to half of the main wiring harness. Otherwise charge it with a battery pack and keep it charging while the bike is running. See if it starts to die even with the battery pack attached. Check fuses, maybe you have a faulty one, or one on the verge of death. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
624 Posts
well, the voltage running should be up over 14vdc while running if the charging system is working properly. The initial voltage and voltage drop are fine on a fully charged battery. What's the voltage on the battery after the bike stops running?

And since you're at mmi, can't you just take it in there and have an instructor troubleshoot it with you as a class project or something? :mrgreen:
+1

·
Registered
280 Posts
Possible failures:

ignition switch

corrosion in main cluster connection that supplies power from the main relay to the ignition switch (located under the left grey cowling beneath the left handlebar)

you have a cut in the wiring harness and a positive lead is grounding on the frame

you have a short in your stator

All of these issues can be tested with your multimeter. Also, please download the service manual, its your best friend right now.

See if you can replicate the problem while the bike is sitting on some stands.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts