Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...I leave home at 6am on my way to work. My comute is 60 miles. I live in Brentwood Ca and for those of you familiar with HWY 4. Its backed up with traffic all the way to HWY 242 split. So I split traffic. Its legal here. I get on 680 north still traffic but its moving. Its about 4.5 miles to the toll plaza. I am behind a white Nissan Titan and a BMW. I was bringing up the rear. We were doing between 80 and 85. Once we got to the Benecia Bridge they pulled away from me and I slowed because the bike is unstable with the cross wind going over the bridge. I was doing 65 - 70 over the bridge and I get to the toll and two California Hwy patrols are right on my ass with the lights on and siren blairing. I pull over and one says over the loud speaker take helmet off and get off bike and comply. One ask how fast was you going? I said last glance I was doing 80 with the flow off traffic. He said I been trying to catch you since Pittsburgh (which is 10 miles back). You had to be doing 100 plus. I say no way with all this traffic. He flat out to me to shut up. Then he asked for liscense, ins, and registration.

I need some inputs. I gotta get my bike back today.
So to make a already long post short bike got impounded and I got a ticket for 100 plus and no California motorycle indorsement on liscense. He didnt clock me. (Can they estimate?) I sign the tickets and I ask when can I get my bike. He smiles and says if you are going over 100 bike or car is impounded for 30 days. It the state law. So plan on paying for towing and storage fees for 30 days. I called the tow company and its $200 for the tow and $70 a day for storage.

I got a indorsement on my Geogia drivers liscence but I didnt know you needed a motorcycle indorsement and Cali liscense to drive a bike in Cali.

So I am bikeless for 30 days. Has anyone heard about this BS law? I was not doing 100 plus. I am so pissed I didnt even go to work. I called wifey to come get me. She was pissed because she had to drive 30 miles and now she is late for work.

I gotta get my bike back.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Thats going to be a pretty decent sized bill. I have no idea if you can do anything but it is total bs.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Can he prove that you have lived in Cali for 30 days? Most places say you have 30 days to change your address and/or get a new license. I'm military so I dont get bothered by this crap. I have a FL license with endorsement, but live in TX... havent had any problems yet. This guy just sounds like he was being a dick.

I'd get a traffic lawyer. The savings on insurance over the next few years will be huge if the lawyer can get it thrown out. FIGHT IT!!!

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,369 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
get a lawyer for sure man, that sucks

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
madnessracing said:
the storage fees are gonna be around $800. bucks and they wont let you pick up the bike before the 30 days unless you have a release from the police station..
After 30 days I can get a release from the popo.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
05Zixxer said:
Can he prove that you have lived in Cali for 30 days? Most places say you have 30 days to change your address and/or get a new license. I'm military so I dont get bothered by this crap. I have a FL license with endorsement, but live in TX... havent had any problems yet. This guy just sounds like he was being a dick.

I'd get a traffic lawyer. The savings on insurance over the next few years will be huge if the lawyer can get it thrown out. FIGHT IT!!!
I lived in Santa Maria Ca from 98 - 02 them I went to Korea for 2 years them came here. I been here since Oct 04. I been pulled over before and no one never said anything and a cali lisence. I am in the US Air Force. I dont think there is a requirement to get a cali liscense because when my Ga liscense expired I renewed them through the mail. This is BS.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
zx10x2 said:
I got a indorsement on my Geogia drivers liscence but I didnt know you needed a motorcycle indorsement and Cali liscense to drive a bike in Cali.

That sucks and sounds like mostly BS, except for the endorsement thing.
After the whole Arnold the gov thing, not sure how someone wouldn't know they needed an endorsement in cali (if you live there) and have a cali license.

Too bad you can't say you were on an extended visit and just show them the Ga. license.

If you find a way to get the endorsement, maybe an MSF class that provides bikes, that seems like it would help. At least show them you "respect" their laws by getting the endorsement squared away.

So many people wouldn't take the initiative, that it may impress someone.

I've seen someone on the news in Fl, get their bike towed for no endorsement when they were sitting in a parking lot- Orlando.

Seems that may be part of what pissed the cop off.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Maybe the air force has someone who can help. That is total BS if the reason your rthere is on duty and you actually still "live" in Georgia.

Maybe your military police are in good with this guy's chief or something and could get it to go away- If not lawyer time for sure.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
I dont know the law details but it is real. You can get someone with and endorsment to pick it up for you. I think you can even pick it up with a Ca permit. Call the CHP and find out what you can do. This law went into effect years ago.
When I didnt have an endorsment I would allways say I had a permit but didnt have it on me. Take the fixit ticket and go get a permit. The permit doesnt show in the system when they look it up.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
05Zixxer said:
go to base legal for advice BEFORE you hire a lawyer. Once you hire someone, they may not help because of the attorney/client privilege.
Best advice yet- kind of what I was trying to say earlier.
That and if you have to- get the cali lic & endorsement and things should go easier. IMO.

·
Registered
707 Posts
They cannot " estimate " your speed, Get a lawyer FAST

I one got out of $500 ticket even though they clocked me by simply asking them for a " Calibiration Certificate " which they could not provide and the judge threw the book at em .

If everything u wrote is true they did not even have a reason to stop you to begin with and therefore everything else is invalid

Again Talk to a lawyer.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts