Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
09 ZX10R Anniversary Edition
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically I bought a ZX-10R around 8 months ago, had very little bike experience and no street experience. I started posting on this forum even before the bike arrived. You guys have been very helpful. A few months ago I made a big mistake and broke my oil pump gear. A good buddy who is local to me stepped in and helped me out big time and me and him rebuilt the bottom end (and with his experience, it got done properly), just got the bike back on the road last week - but I digress.

Here is my review of the experience;

First off, the bike in it's (relatively) current form:

I grew up riding dirtbikes, from a 1985 CR-80, KX-80, KX-125 and my last dirtbike was a '97 KX-250. I stopped riding dirtbikes in 2002 (when I was 17). I started getting into cars (5.0's, etc) and that was my life for awhile. Went to college, played football, met my wife, settled down and had kids. I'm 36 now. I had not been on a bike in any form since 2002. (In the video I mentioned ten years but when I sat down and typed this, 2002 was really the last year I owned a dirt bike). It was strange, having such a strong dirtbike background and then it just stopped and I never owned or rode another bike until this year. See, I have always had a fascination with sport bikes - especially liter bikes. I had wanted one for YEARS. I came close to purchasing a new 2013 ZX-10R back in late 2012, but obviously that never happened. Specifically, I had always wanted a ZX-10R, but it always seemed to be elusive.

Life was in the way - forming a family, providing for them, eventually enlisting in the military (still active infantry). Earlier this year, after our deployment to Africa, I realized life was so short I finally got to a point where I knew I had to finally get a bike.

I always wanted a ZX-10R, so in January I got serious and started searching them out. In February I found a MINT 2009 ZX-10R Special Edition but it was located 13 hours away - in Sioux, South Dakota. I had cash in hand but at this time was also a severe snow storm up there in SD. I decided to still purchase the bike sight unseen, and I paid $500 extra to have it shipped to my house with a third party delivery service.

A few days later - the day that bike pulled up in my driveway in that back of that truck - is a day I will never forget. A dream of mine for over a decade was coming true. Of course, knowing the Army, I had to be at a 24-hr CQ shift just minutes after my bike arrived. I was able to start it up, let it idle and then park in my garage and go to work. 24 hours later I was back home and I hopped on the bike, started it up and decided to just roll around my neighborhood and get a feel for it. It felt very natural - the clutch, balance, brakes, etc - was not awkward or anything. Since I already had my new helmet and gear, I decided to exit my neighborhood and ride up and down the main street. I was nervous - intimidated - reading about liter bikes for so many years, you already have some type of expectation of what they can do. I cruised down the street, turned around and started heading down a long straight away. I rolled into the throttle (maybe half twist), short shifted and twisted a little more. Immediately I knew that I was strapped to a missile lmao. The euphoria, the adrenaline was amazing despite just slowly riding the bike around.

I went back into my neighborhood to park the bike, but turned around at my house and went back into the street. I gave it some more throttle and was just feeling the bike and the power out. I was short shifting, not running it hard, but even half-ass it was melting my brain with power. I couldn't get enough of it. I eventually parked the bike that night and my hands were shaking. It felt amazing. I could go on and on but some 8 months later, I've basically rode the bike every day except for rain or when it needed some maintenance. A few months ago though I broke the oil pump gear and me and a good buddy rebuilt the entire bottom end of the motor over a 3 month period, talking about learning the bike inside and out. Thankfully my good Army buddy has been letting me ride his R6 so I didn't lose the feel of riding too much.

Anyways, I just got the ZX-10R back last week and have been riding it around - she is making more power than ever with this new motor (and a thinner headgasket for more compression). Also, the bike was bone stock when I bought it. Since then I have done PC5, ECU Flash, Full Exhaust, -1/+2, Speedohealer, K&N Race Filter, .23mm Dr Doug Head Gasket, 1/5 throttle tube, ASV levers, Core Brake Lines, ZX-14 calipers, LED headlights, turn signals and rear brake light, etc etc etc - I have had so much fun making the bike faster and look better, and enjoying it.

While the bike was down, I was thinking about a review video I wanted to make to try and explain what it's like to ride a bike like this with no prior street riding experience, because I know that I wish somebody could have explained it to me before I got the bike. I went out and bought a used GoPro 8, microphone, mount, etc. I think the video could have been better but it's alright for a first video:

TLDR; owning a sport bike is life changing. I'm hooked for life and have learned SO much. I've put 6k+ miles on it since getting the bike. Can't get enough of it. Should have bought one a LONG time ago.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,705 Posts
Congrats on getting the bike put back together so quick! I'm really happy to hear that you're enjoying it so much and the excitement is still fresh on it all! It will only continue to get better!

I'm also glad you got it back together with Christmas quickly approaching! You're ready to go ride in the Parade with the gold chain, gold levers, red reservoir cover, and red Nissins on it. They don't clash at all with the green, black, and white. Very festive! ;):ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Vader_11B

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats on getting the bike put back together so quick! I'm really happy to hear that you're enjoying it so much and the excitement is still fresh on it all! It will only continue to get better!

I'm also glad you got it back together with Christmas quickly approaching! You're ready to go ride in the Parade with the gold chain, gold levers, red reservoir cover, and red Nissins on it. They don't clash at all with the green, black, and white. Very festive! ;):ROFLMAO:
SkyDork, I always appreciate when you reply to my posts on here. And yes I know you are not a fan of the red with the white/green. I bet you just LOVE the '21 KRT model lmao. But sincerely, thank you for the reply. I'm having a blast with this bike. I feel like me and her have already been through alot together in less than a yearlol

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
'16 ZX-10R KRT
15,705 Posts
I know you are not a fan of the red with the white/green. I bet you just LOVE the '21 KRT model lmao. But sincerely, thank you for the reply. I'm having a blast with this bike. I feel like me and her have already been through alot together in less than a yearlol
Ha. You do know me well! I can honestly say that the main reason I don't have a '21 KRT in my garage already is because of the ridiculousness color scheme that I just can't accept. Maybe they will come to their senses in '22, but I'm not holding my breath. :p

Keep enjoying your ride! It feels like you've gone through a lot already, and you have. But there is so much more ahead of you both! It's a journey, not a sprint race! Keep mindful of that and don't get too complacent. Keep working on your skills and keep smiling on each ride! Pretty soon you'll be cranking off 3rd gear wheelies and sliding the rear a little when you grab too much throttle leaned over midcorner. That's when the real fun starts! ;):ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Vader_11B

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha. You do know me well! I can honestly say that the main reason I don't have a '21 KRT in my garage already is because of the ridiculousness color scheme that I just can't accept. Maybe they will come to their senses in '22, but I'm not holding my breath. :p
Yea - I wouldn't mind an all-black 2021 ZX10R, but I feel like if your gonna be on a Kawasaki you gotta rep the green. I'm with you, I'm not crazy about the KRT graphics this year, I am hoping that they have some cool looking graphics next year. I think we'll find out in a few months when Kawasaki announces the '22 models.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts