Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday night I had Lasik eye surgery, because I was tired of wearing glasses and contact lenses. I'll disclose all details for those who are considering it and have the dollars to spend on it.
I went in for my consultation earlier this week on tuesday. They checked me out took several pictures of my eyes and said I was a perfect candidate for the job. If you aren't a perfect candidate they recommend a more invasive procedure called PRK. Lasik was 5,500 and PRK is a bit cheaper and I could have opted for it but I said hey, this is my eyes lets forget the knife and go with the computer(laser) They said I can come in for the surgery whenever asap if need be and I said lets do it Friday so I'll have the weekend to practice being a blind man before work on monday.
So, I went in and sat amongst the other patients who were hoping for xray vision when this was all said and done. They gave us Valium to take off some of the edge...I opted against it because i'm not big on drugs in my system. After 20minutes of waiting, anxiety kicks in, and I said to the nurse, "lets do that valium now" :lol: 10minutes ater she says, "williams you're up!" I go in and the Dr. is as cool as a cucumber and tells me you'll be just fine :cool: I sit on a bed with a few machines similar to a movie as if I was gonna be transformed to Darth Vader or Cobra Commander :headshake I start to get nervous and a nurse grabs my arm, holds my hand and says, "hush baby hush" Reminded me of my mom, so I calm down while the machine suctions my eye (i start to see blue), the laser cuts a semi-circle of my cornea, the DOC pulls back the flap of the cornea(i start to see red), they turn out the lights, it turns into a laser show while the eye cells are being burned off, the DOC squegees off the dead cells (yes squegee like the bums on the corners trying to get at your window for a dollar), rinses off the eyes, folds back over the cornea flap, pushes out the air from under the flap, puts in antibiotic drops and gives me a pair of shades to get home...and says, "you did great come back tomorrow morning for a check up"
Now, good thing I brought someone with me to get me home because I almost didn't and I would have been screwed, my eyes had to be shut completely, and I took the subway home bacause I don't live in Manhattan(times square area for non ny) and the cab is rip off(i can pay for lasik but not the cab go figure) :heyyou:
Anywho, i now know what it feels like to be blind and it sucks. I always tried to help the blind before BUT JESUS, the walk to the subway then getting on the subway then getting on the bus was INSANE! Needless to say I'm fine and wearing shades while typing this and will do so till monday morning! Oh, and I can see 20/15 roughly the distance of a block and a half...which means i can now see potholes waaaaay in advance while riding :eyecrazy:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Did you get help from the insurance company or was that 5,500 out of pocket?

·
Registered
343 Posts
keep me posted on how the healing goes.... I think I want to get it done!!

·
Registered
2,504 Posts
My wife had it done about 2 mths ago and she said it is the best thing she did. First 12 hrs was a little rough but healed up really well.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it was actually more but my insurance gave me 15% since it's considered cosmetic. Navigating from the surgery to home was the hardest part...then i went straight to bed after a shot of rum(doctors orders lol) then woke up at 7am and saw BUT i'm having a hard time seeing very bright lights(the sunlight/flourescent light) which is why i'm wearing shades till monday morning. Worth every dollar to me!

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
I have been on the fence with this for a while now. Thank you for the write-up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts