Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Cross-Eyed Cat
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm about to do my first service to my bike...meaning, I am going to do it. I wanted to find out some opinions out there before I jump in.

Here are my questions:

-Do I need to remove the fairings to change the oil and filter?

-Which oil is best for a new '09?

-How many quarts? 4?

-Which chain lube is the best?

-Is there any specific thing I should really be on the lookout for when I do my 1st serive myself...I mean, I am OCD with all my stuff...including cars and motos...and I inspect my bikes everyday!

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I just did mine, I used the Kawi synthetic oil, thats just preference. I use Bell Ray chain lube good stuff but it goes on white.

Things to look out for. After you change the oil and filter you may get a oil pressure light, with the bike running back the filter off, you will want someone else there with you when the light clears re-tighten the filter, it gets an air bubble it the filter.

4 quarts and the only fairing is the lower left

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
1. only fairing that needs to come off is the lower left side
2. oil I use AMSOIL 10w40
3. oil amount 3.7 qts. give or take you want it in between the two marks on the sight glass.
4. chain lube Ive been using Motul lube and it works good.. but its up to you on what you want to use...

I just did my oil change today and now she runs smoother and is alot more quiet at idle..

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
dont use synthetic oil on your first change. use synthetic aafter a few k miles.

at least thats what i heard
You can switch whenever you want but you can never go back.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I take my lower left cowling off to get to the oil filter.
For the first oil change I would stay with Kawasaki oil.
Should take almost 4qt, but make sure the oil level is rite in the site glass when the bike is balanced on it's wheels.
Pick your poison on chain lube everone I know uses something different, I use Silkolene Pro Chain.
Look at your oil, very very small looking flakes are norm. but if you see some big chips or shavings there might be a problem. and be OCD, check every bolt, check every bearing for smoothness and play, check steering head for play, check every thing that moves and doesn't move, after all, your life depends on it. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
You can switch whenever you want but you can never go back.
if you go to synthetic oil you can go back to coventional oil when ever you want it will not cause any problems and is a Myth there are tons of oil threads on those issues and im not gonna get into that big ole mess but It will not harm anything...

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
if you go to synthetic oil you can go back to coventional oil when ever you want it will not cause any problems and is a Myth there are tons of oil threads on those issues and im not gonna get into that big ole mess but It will not harm anything...
I stand corrected

·
Guilty by association
8,751 Posts
hmm, that is new to me that you can go back to conventional oil after running synthetic.

·
Registered
268 Posts
When synthetic oil first came out it would not blend with conventional oil, But the new synthetics WILL blend with conventional oil. So you can switch back.

·
PostWhore
13,496 Posts
Pretty much all your questions answered I think, so the only bit of semi-useful info I will add is.....when you lube your chain, lube the inside so it slings through the chain, instead of on top where it will sling off and onto your bike.

·
Cross-Eyed Cat
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the input... I'll probabaly go pick up my supplies today...along with a swingarm stand.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I would add to go around the bike and check all the bolts are tight. Just check them. Do not move them if they are tight.

·
Registered
447 Posts
1. only fairing that needs to come off is the lower left side
2. oil I use AMSOIL 10w40
3. oil amount 3.7 qts. give or take you want it in between the two marks on the sight glass.
4. chain lube Ive been using Motul lube and it works good.. but its up to you on what you want to use...

I just did my oil change today and now she runs smoother and is alot more quiet at idle..
Right there, it will get noisey and not shift smoothly, thats your indicator of a oil change being needed. Mine does it about every 2k.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts