Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, My zx-10r ('06 model) died this saturday, the engine stalled. And now i can't get it started. All lights come on, fuel pump is working, theres a spark, and the starter turns the engine. All fuses checked!

The FI indicator flashes, (next to the oil lamp) in the display...

I have a PC III USB and Dynojet Ignition modúle + KN filter... I have tried to unplug them all, but no luck...

When I checked the map in the PC, it said : "throttle position -25%"

And after having read some earlier threads, I wonder if that is the problem?

Anyone have had similar problems?

Thanks, Dennis of the country Denmark!:eek:ccasion1

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
How did it die did it sputter, hesitate, and then stall or did u shut her off and now wont start??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I came with aprox. 50 km/h, pulled the clutch, to gear down, and when i let go of the clucth lever it had already gone... Just like that... Nice and quit.. No nothing.. And it was 75 km/h away from home, in the middle of the night!
I read about someone who had slacked the return cable to the throttle, so I am going to try that tomorrow...

By the way, the bikes done 2388 km (1600 miles) so it is almost brand new!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not the PC, I have tried to undo all mods, and I did it the hard way, unplugged both the ignintion module and the PC. Nothing works...
But I am going to set in on fire, if I do not find the error tomorrow!

I just hope that it is the throttle position!

·
Custom Powder Coater
6,560 Posts
bet its your P.C.
:+1: Mine did the same but i was nt riding that y i asked. I didnt have the PC plugged all the way in and after a few revs it shut off and all lights were on.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
There are plenty of threads on this, but this is the first time I have heard of the bike not restarting. Mine has done it a few times, actually today it did it, one thing I notced is that it would not restart until I put the bike in neutral, now mind you the bike should start with the clutch pulled in, and kickstand up, correct? Maybe the clutch switch has something to do with it, but I tried turning my idle up and though that had cured it but I guess not. I adjusted the throttle cables as well, set the PCIII TPS several times, so it beats the F out of me whats wrong.

Can anybody confirm that they have actually fixed this problem?

·
Registered
85 Posts
There are plenty of threads on this, but this is the first time I have heard of the bike not restarting. Mine has done it a few times, actually today it did it, one thing I notced is that it would not restart until I put the bike in neutral, now mind you the bike should start with the clutch pulled in, and kickstand up, correct? Maybe the clutch switch has something to do with it, but I tried turning my idle up and though that had cured it but I guess not. I adjusted the throttle cables as well, set the PCIII TPS several times, so it beats the F out of me whats wrong.

Can anybody confirm that they have actually fixed this problem?
My bike actually did the same as yours as in wouldnt start until I put it in neutral. It did it one time and until I read this I thought it was some thing I did. I am running stock except for a Gipro, maybe you are on to something with the clutch switch!

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
If you got spark and fuel. Should start. But u confirm spark, u should look at the fuelling side of it. My guess it is electrical. need to check the kick stand or clutch swich.
Bummer it broke down in the middle of the night 75km from home.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
If the TPS is reading -25% then maybe the throttle position sensor has moved or is broken, try resetting the TPS with the PC111 to zero.
And check the TPS to see if it is loose.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hi there, My zx-10r ('06 model) died this saturday, the engine stalled. And now i can't get it started. All lights come on, fuel pump is working, theres a spark, and the starter turns the engine. All fuses checked!

The FI indicator flashes, (next to the oil lamp) in the display...

I have a PC III USB and Dynojet Ignition modúle + KN filter... I have tried to unplug them all, but no luck...

When I checked the map in the PC, it said : "throttle position -25%"

And after having read some earlier threads, I wonder if that is the problem?

Anyone have had similar problems?

Thanks, Dennis of the country Denmark!:eek:ccasion1

See what the FI fault code is, the ECU is in fail safe mode- press the mode button to display the odometer, then press reset button for more than 2 secs and the code will be displayed on the LCD.

Read the code in the service manual or post it up

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After a loooooong day of a lot of not so pretty words, I have updated my PCIII and now it actually recognizes my Ignition module... And it starts up, but ONLY on 1 cylinder... VERY strange! I am so lucky that I've borrowed a Kawasaki Diagnocstic System, and it says failure on Ignition Coil #2 #3 and #4... So tomorrow I'm going to put on other Ignition coil's, to see if that should fix it...

Cant figure out, if the ignition module have killed three out of four coils? Sounds strange, cause the manual says that if you mount it, and do not program it, it will not affect the bike at all...

But finally something is working... just not quite right! he he...

I would like to hear if anyone else have had problems with the Dynojet ignition module??

I'll post some more tomorrow. ;-)

(meanwhile im stuck with my old ZX12R.. 200 bhp!)

·
Registered
185 Posts
My friend/customer had the same thing happen to his '07 Special Editon, it was the switch at the clutch lever that failed. It was replaced under warantee.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Maybe the mercery switch that indcates when the bike has fallen.My 636 had this problem happen. The bike has not fallen but, That switch can still get stuck. Another spot might the kick stand switch.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My r6 died like that, the motor just quit, ridin 60 down the road, no warning (@3 in the morning) . when i tried to start it, the motor would turn over (sounded like it really wanted to start), there was no problem with spark (as what i thought).
turned out to be a 15$ neutral switch needed replacing. Go through your elictrical system. But damn, its a little early to have electric problems with your 06 10r.

·
Registered
3,561 Posts
After a loooooong day of a lot of not so pretty words, I have updated my PCIII and now it actually recognizes my Ignition module... And it starts up, but ONLY on 1 cylinder... VERY strange! I am so lucky that I've borrowed a Kawasaki Diagnocstic System, and it says failure on Ignition Coil #2 #3 and #4... So tomorrow I'm going to put on other Ignition coil's, to see if that should fix it...

Cant figure out, if the ignition module have killed three out of four coils? Sounds strange, cause the manual says that if you mount it, and do not program it, it will not affect the bike at all...

But finally something is working... just not quite right! he he...

I would like to hear if anyone else have had problems with the Dynojet ignition module??

I'll post some more tomorrow. ;-)

(meanwhile im stuck with my old ZX12R.. 200 bhp!)
why don't you remove the ignition module altogether. Sounds premature to me that you have failure on three coils on an 06 bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
HEEEY! Problem solved! The ignition module killed it... It did not have an effect to remove at first, but at second time, it helped. Either that, or the four new ignition coils did the trick! So now I am a happy little biker... But now I have to see if I can get the ignition module to work... but until then, I'm riding without it... Thanks for all your help... !! Dennis of Denmark

1 - 19 of 19 Posts