Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
someone tell me if the richening mixture of an 08 is supposed to do this?

only 900 miles on bike (yea yea just bought it, live in michigan. enough said!)

when i start it up cold in the morning (between 20 and 40 degrees F) the fucker has to be started twice because it stalls the first time around. it's like the ECU hasn't registered the temp out yet and lets it die. start it again. and it fires up rpms raise and all is good! my old cbr 929 could have started with one push at -5 degrees F. (i know i've did it (COLD AS HELL!!!!! HIGHWAY SPEEDS. I WANTED TO DIE) and not have any issues or needed to be restarted. is anyone else's 10r doing this in general? thinking about taking it to the dealership but don't want to look afool if it is just "the nature of the beast". by no means a deal breaker. i would never trade my 10r for anything! just a slight annoyance! Some input please?

P.S. BLACK IS THE FASTEST. just wanted to sum that up for anyone who thinks otherwise :)

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Mine does exactly the same thing. 1st start of the day will stall and have to do it again. I got mine in late June so I don't think it's the temperture. I'm getting a full akrapovic and a PC III this winter. Hopefully that will sort it out. :wink:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's very aggravating isn't it! i might bring it to the dealership. have you brought yours in for that problem?

p.s. good luck with the mods. can't handle mine as it is!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Mine does the same has since day one, you will find many members on the board with the same issue.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
it's very aggravating isn't it! i might bring it to the dealership. have you brought yours in for that problem?

p.s. good luck with the mods. can't handle mine as it is!
I just lived with it. A bit annoying but didn't want to go thru the dealers as for most part they are pretty useless anyway. Just read Mr.Nasty's post and he has the same thing. I guess it is "normal" for the 3rd gens (maybe). I have my hands full with the zx, just hate the stock pipe and the sound. Figure if I was going to do something about it I might as well get a few more ponies out of the deal. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
86 Posts
mine did it until i installed my DIY TRE... now it fires up first time no problem. Or was it removing the secondaries... dammit now I can't remember (did both about a week apart)

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Mine does exactly the same thing. 1st start of the day will stall and have to do it again. I got mine in late June so I don't think it's the temperture. I'm getting a full akrapovic and a PC III this winter. Hopefully that will sort it out. :wink:
Mine does the same has since day one, you will find many members on the board with the same issue.
mine does the same thing.....what if you were to adjust the idle screw? would that matter?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Try cycling the fuel pump only. Just turn the key on until the pump stops, turn it off. Turn the key back on, and try to start after the fuel pump stops again. I wouldn't be suprised if that did it every time.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Try cycling the fuel pump only. Just turn the key on until the pump stops, turn it off. Turn the key back on, and try to start after the fuel pump stops again. I wouldn't be suprised if that did it every time.
Tried that already. No change, still has to start it twice.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
I just went and tried out to make sure. Still the same old 2nd start.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i've done it also. doesn't work. about turning idle screw. has nothing to do with idle. i believe it to have something to do with the automatic choke (auto richening feature of FI motors) but you say the tre fixed it? or was it the 2daries!!! damnit man! think!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have had this problem too in the past and it was very annoying. The last several cold starts I have rolled the bike out into the driveway and started it while standing straight up, not on the kickstand. It fires right up and doesn't die. I have done this probably 5 times in a row now without having to start it twice. You guys might give this a try to see if it works for you. I tried adjusting the idle, cycling the fuel pump, etc. with no success but this seems to work for me :dontknow:

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I don't know if this will help anyone else but it worked for me. A month or two ago I am tinkering with the PCV. There is a setting for richening the initial start. I wanna say the setting was an additional 10% for 10 secs. Since I set that it starts on the first try every time. If you got a PCV you can try it if you have the cold start issue.

·
Registered
31 Posts
my 08 didn't start doing that till it has got around 10,000km++. then one morning it just dies off on first start, and kept doing that for weeks. engine RPM right after start-up (before the automatic choke kicks in) was gradually getting lower, till the point where it just isn't enough to maintain idle.

battery voltage was/is good at 12.8 volts in the morning before turning the key.
temperature is always around 23-24 celcius in the morning around here.
no PCV or PC3, everything stock including exhaust.

there's a previous thread on this issue and someone mentioned opening the throttle a bit when starting the bike. what i did was to turn the throttle just enough to keep the tension on the throttle wire, but not enough to open up the throttle. starts up fine on first try.

once in a while, i just start the bike up in the morning without the "throttle tension" routine, and it still starts up fine on first try... :dontknow:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
just went out there and started it up while the bike was upright. first start was a go! then again! the temp outside is 54 degrees F, so in all fairness i'll go out in a few days when it gets alittle colder and see if it starts up first time then! but either way i'm excited! rep sent!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts