Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a ton of air filter threads out there but I was looking to see if anybody had any first hand experience with the MWR WSBK Airfilter? Before and after times at the track, dyno sheets, etc?

I'm trying to squeeze every little thing out of my gen 4 as possible and looking at doing some headwork this winter at some point. I think I have every other bolt on that can be done besides a full exhaust. I know archer had posted that he had good results with my searching but never saw any before/after comparisons to see if it made a difference.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
after speaking with Anthony, he reported huge change in AFR (leaner) betwen this filter vs the normal brands, and .2 vrs the HE one...

So there is to be gained, not much on dyno, but yes on the road.

last time I went to the dyno I was 187 with the HE, now Im 190, can be for the filter and could be for the tunning... I dont know.

All normal flashed gen4 have 178hp there.

email me, [email protected]

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got one of these filters coming.

Hopefully come mid to late April I can have some dyno chart comparisons and some data from the drag strip comparing the WSBK filter and the BMC race filter. If anybody has newish/clean stock filter they'd like to donate I could use that to do a comparison instead of the bmc race.

After talking with the MWR guys they said to do the dyno comparisons that the bike will need to be tuned for the filter, so plan on getting my tune dialed in with both a stock or BMC filter then get my tune dialed in with the WSBK filter. Then go dyno, then swap out filters and the tune and re-dyno and see what she does.

Excited to get some real world data for this thing to share!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good info to know! I know the guy I talked to over at MWR said I would need to add a lot of fuel and need to add extra fuel to the outside cylinders.

I honestly don't have super high hopes for a huge gain on the dyno since there isn't air coming through the ram air like there is out on the road wide open in the higher gears. Based on what I've heard from you, this filter really shines up top when there is more air trying to move through the airbox.

I hope even if there isn't a huge gain on the dyno that even at the drap strip my trap speed will increase with the filter. Also hope it helps when doing some standing mile/mile and a half racing! Think that is where it will really shine in last part of the mile

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have personally tested this filter in my bike back to back at the track. With gutting my intake tube and this filter i picked up 4-5mph at the strip. Was running 144-146 and now 149-151 consistently. Very impressed with the design of this filter. All i can say is it works. Huge gains from the 330ft up.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exactly. I can't remember where I saw it, but someone on the forums here mentioned they put the filter in and gained a considerable amount of speed at the drag strip with the Woolich kit. I can't remember if it was in the main forums or if it was someone who followed up with me via PM. But he seemed pleasantly happy.

With the super aggressive gearing your running for the drag strip, it may throw those trims off but earlier on since you're coming into speed sooner. So you may need to adjust those trims in earlier gears as well as the later ones. Something to keep in the back of your mind there.
I have personally tested this filter in my bike back to back at the track. With gutting my intake tube and this filter i picked up 4-5mph at the strip. Was running 144-146 and now 149-151 consistently. Very impressed with the design of this filter. All i can say is it works. Huge gains from the 330ft up.
Awesome to hear!

Do you guys care to share what you did with fueling or how much you increased fueling to the 2 outside cylinders? I was going to ask MWR but if some guys from the forum could give me an idea that'd be awesome.

Hopefully getting my head back next week and then I hope I can get the bike back together and tuned by Mid/Late April for a track day or 2 in the cool air.

Fingers are really crossed for a high 150 trap with the head work, filter and some mr12 :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was just using combined AFR. This spring one of the projects on tap is to weld bungs to each cylinder on the header and tune both the 4th and 5th gens by individual cylinder. But until it gets warm and stays above 50 degrees here, I can't run the dyno and I want to build up a solid base map there first. That way I can then take the bike out and use the AT to trim the individual cylinder fuel maps at speed and then for each individual gear.
Thats awesome! If you get that data would you mind posting it up? Or at least a general % difference you found. Pretty please with a cherry on top 0:)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm looking into 1 of these also C3L!have you got yours on yet mate?
Yes sir, I have it still sitting in the box in the bag it comes in. My engine is out of my bike right now with the head getting some work done to it but hope to have it all back together by the end of April. Once I make it to the track I'll post some time slips from the drag strip to show any difference between the MWR WSBK filter and my BMC Race filter I currently have.

Plan to dyno it too but might wait until mid summer when its back to stock wheel base so the numbers look higher than with the 12" stretch on it lol.

I'm planning on doing some standing half mile racing in September and depending how the drag strip testing and dyno goes I'd like to try swapping filters there too as I feel like that'd be where the filter would really shine.

But do plan on posting up some slips and dyno numbers in this thread!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just a heads up, you're not likely to see much of anything on the dyno. It's designed to work at speed. So static dyno = no pressurized intake/airbox = filter isn't working in the conditions it was designed for. You may gain a little something from the differences between the flow rates between the MWR and BMC though.

But you'll definitely see it and notice it at the track as the one guy earlier he said he picked up 5 MPH from it. (I'm not a drag racer so I don't know if that's a huge gain or not haha). At speed I noted a 3-5% hit to my AFR depending on RPM/load/gear while data logging so I figured since that was the only thing I changed, it must be the reason.
That's kind of what I've heard is that on the dyno it doesn't always show much for gains but in the real world on the street and track is where it really shines. Why I'm not in a huge rush to throw it on the dyno compared to getting out on the track and do back to back testing. Might try to do some 9/10th's gps runs in Mexico this summer once its back to swb and want to try swapping out filters when I do those tests as well as I'd thinking this filter should give me a bit more mph during that too.

5 mph is huge in the quarter for just doing an air filter! If I can get those kind of gains, I bet all my buddies have these filters by year end lol

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I love those filters, but you have to tune to them via trim tables, they just lean the bike, when you hit 6th, and start leaving the s1000rr behind.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just a heads up, you're not likely to see much of anything on the dyno. It's designed to work at speed. So static dyno = no pressurized intake/airbox = filter isn't working in the conditions it was designed for. You may gain a little something from the differences between the flow rates between the MWR and BMC though.

But you'll definitely see it and notice it at the track as the one guy earlier he said he picked up 5 MPH from it. (I'm not a drag racer so I don't know if that's a huge gain or not haha). At speed I noted a 3-5% hit to my AFR depending on RPM/load/gear while data logging so I figured since that was the only thing I changed, it must be the reason.
The gains i saw were from doing the filter and gutting the ram air at the same time. Either way 4-5mph is HUGE. And I've seen it consistently

·
Registered
247 Posts
I love those filters, but you have to tune to them via trim tables, they just lean the bike, when you hit 6th, and start leaving the s1000rr behind.
Are these gen4s or gen5s I really wish I waited the extra 4days to get this. I'm running a DNA filter at the moment.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was just using combined AFR. This spring one of the projects on tap is to weld bungs to each cylinder on the header and tune both the 4th and 5th gens by individual cylinder. But until it gets warm and stays above 50 degrees here, I can't run the dyno and I want to build up a solid base map there first. That way I can then take the bike out and use the AT to trim the individual cylinder fuel maps at speed and then for each individual gear.
Any luck on doing that testing? If so, would you be willing to share your info for the masses?

Hope to get my bike up and running in a few weeks and it'd be sweet to know what kind of results you saw as you're the only one I know that was doing such a great test! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts