Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Which would you pick? and why? The brut is around 18k while the non-S street is 15.7ish. The S version is not worth it to me at over 20k.

Thanks!!

Mods; i accidentally posted it in the wrong section, could you please relocate, thanks!

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
My vote is for the Brutale!

Subjectively speaking, the styling of the Brutale is a work of art. The Ducati Streetfighter just isn't one of Ducati's better efforts in my opinion. The attention to detail on the MV is also spectacular and really looks like something special. From the 50mm Marzocchi forks, gorgeous looking wheels, and slash cut shot gun exhaust. Ducati definitely tried to emulate some of the styling cues, but it just doesn't hold together the same way as the MV.

As you are already an MV owner, you know about the pedigree of the brand. I know a lot of people think that Ducatis are the Ferraris of the motorcycle world. I disagree and assert that MV's are. Not only was Ferrari involved with the design process of their radial valve engine, but a lot of the exclusivity and handbuilt craftsmanship of an MV is similar to Ferrari.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the feedback Rspec, those are very good points. The MV's are truly gorgeous, and I am in love with their version of the i4 engine (it is truly diff than a japanese I4). The sound, the look, everything about em is just absolutely stunning. The Duc does run a bit cheaper but it seems the MV has more trick parts at a little higher price. And i'm sure the MV is a bit more rare too!

·
Registered
410 Posts
I test rode a Streetfighter at the last trackday. I had been eyeing one for my next bike when I decide I'm through with sportbike ergos.

I desperately wanted to like it, but I just didn't. Most noticable was the quirky seating position, which I probably would get used to, but I didn't like it right off the bat. The handlebars were nice, but the footpegs felt like true 1198 pegs, high and far back. With an upright torso, and my feet behind me, it felt very awkward and even forced my crotch into the tank a little. Definately wierd, and I wasn't a fan.

The other thing I didn't like much was the motor (I know...weird). I guess coming off of the ZX10R, I was expecting a little more of an adrenalin rush than what I got. Yes it was fast, but you never felt it. It never kicked you in the butt and got the blood boiling. Funtional, yes....but not all that much fun IMO. I guess it's just a twin thing. If you like twins, this may not be an issue for you.

The final nail in the coffin was the Monster 1100 I rode right after. It had the same sensations, the same ducati name badge, the same character, great handling, all for $5k less (plus it was much more comfy to me). Sure it was a little slower, but I wouldn't have guessed unless I was staring at the speedo or had a stopwatch. In fact, I think I would rather have the monster, even if they were the same price.

I'd take the MV. It's prettier. My wife took the 910 Brutale the same time I took the streetfighter, and she loved it. I wish I had taken a spin.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
The final nail in the coffin was the Monster 1100 I rode right after. It had the same sensations, the same ducati name badge, the same character, great handling, all for $5k less (plus it was much more comfy to me). Sure it was a little slower, but I wouldn't have guessed unless I was staring at the speedo or had a stopwatch. In fact, I think I would rather have the monster, even if they were the same price.
I absolutely agree! I would get a Monster 1100 over the Streetfighter if I was looking for a naked bike. The Streetfighter gives you 75% of the 1098's performance, 10% of the style, and it's nearly as uncomfortable as a 1098! It definitely is a bike with an identity crisis, and I think it neither succeeds as a sportbike or as an all round naked bike.

Simply put, if you want to buy something with a Ducati badge, choose your discpline:

Hooligan bike = Hypermotard 1100
Naked fun bike = Monster 1100
Sportbike/tracktool = 1098/1198

and forget the Streetfighter.

·
Registered
267 Posts
WAIT!!!!! There is a strong rumour of a new MV F5 series coming out soon. The extra income Harley has poured in is said to have caused a redesign.. So it makes sense that if they update the superbike line, then the naked is sure to follow.
MV have been guilty of not updating the F4 for quite somtime. Several magazines have mentioned the "F5" latley so it could get really exciting..
Either way, Italian rockstar sexy bikes...

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
haha i knew i could count on you guys. I checked out both bikes and the MV is just sexier! I dont like the right side of the streetfigher (foot controls) as the clutch side really interferes with your right foot! THe MV does seem to be the winner for me personally, however, the streetfigher was so amazingly light! I have a triumph street triple R that I have for a dedicated road bike and I really am digging it, perhaps I wont trade it in at all, its just too much fun. I"m curious to see what MV will do with the new design (f5). Having a MV in the garage, i'm used to their nuances, their foibles (not much) etc. as well as all the pro's. I guess I thought the duc would be a welcomed change but i'm leaning more towards the MV myself now.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Do you really have to ask? Ducati baby all the way. Oh like I always say If you think Ducati parts are pricey just take look at MV stuff and try to find somebody to work on it for under $100 bucks a hour.

·
GEN II Driver
2,894 Posts
they are both too much $$ for what they are. get a monster, save some dough and ride the fook out of it.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
do you really have to ask? Ducati baby all the way. Oh like i always say if you think ducati parts are pricey just take look at mv stuff and try to find somebody to work on it for under $100 bucks a hour.
:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

·
Registered
775 Posts
I am liking the Duc SF more and more each day. I would have to give up one of my bikes to get one. Not sure about that yet.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts