Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally sold my r6 last night and i need to purchase my turbo kit for my 10r. Want to get some opinions especially if you have bought this turbo kit or know about turbos please give me some insight. I know quite alot about turbocharging from days drag racing when i had with cars. Just want to see maybe someone can give me some pro's and con's to each kit.

thanks for your help. i will be ordering either kit tom.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
turboten said:
nlr kit how much and where and how sooon can i get one.?

Go over to Phychobike.com and check it out. All your questions can be answered there about this topic. Pics of the kit and details.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well i just got off the fon with Muzzy just ordered their kit seems to least amount of modification involved. Will have updates and pics later. 30days and counting.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I know one other guy that had a Muzzy kit for a 12R and never got it to run for shit. He was way less than pleased with their customer support. After hurting a couple of motors he took it off. I could have purchased it very cheap he was so pissed. He went by Turbotoyz on the 12R sites. Rob himself seems OK, but Kurt and Dave are complete morons and lack the knowledge to whipe their ass without gettin shit on their forearm. The 12R crew have been doing business with Muzzy, or at least trying to do business with them since 2k. NOT many of those guys have had pleasing results. His header pipes are junk and his hard parts cost way too much. ALL of that could still be worked around if his customer service didn't suck so bad. Good luck dealing with them.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well i sure hope that is not the case. I will have an full update as soon as i recieve the kit.

·
Registered
259 Posts
wish ya luck....should have done a bit more research...from what i understand ALL the stg 1 kits for zx10s dont run worth a crap(dynos dont count)

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have been doing my research for a few months now. I think there maybe more inexperienced people out there buying kits no matter who from and say they run like crap but most of it is in the tune.

I will have pics when i get the kit

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
turboten said:
i have been doing my research for a few months now. I think there maybe more inexperienced people out there buying kits no matter who from and say they run like crap but most of it is in the tune.

I will have pics when i get the kit
Hey man did it ever cross your mind that you yourself may just be the inexperienced one of the bunch. All I ask is for honesty when you get the stuff and try and get it running. You'll be fucked if you need help from Muzzys is all I'm telling you. Their rep for customer service is DOG SHIT! Unless you consider some dick head telling you how to screw on a set of frame sliders service. They have NEVER been any help to any of the 12 guys on ANY motor rlated problems with their products. It's always the customer's fault and NONE of their own. Muzzys is like a lot of other companies that has too many employees that don't give a shit. You would have been best dealing with NLR and if you couldn't afford them which is understandable then Barry at Velocity would be hands down the NEXT choice. If it makes you feel any better Rob Muzzy don't even build his own race motors in that Harley trash he runs in NHRA! Yea that's right he leases them from George Bryce at Star Racing!!!!!!!!!!!! What a disgrace for a supposed engine guru!!!!!!!!!! Rob is a JOKE these days for that very reason! He's single handedly responcable for Kawasaki pulling OUT of drag racing! His ZERO results at making the field in NHRA for 3 seasons with the 12R motor package was a BLACK EYE to them and they left. While he couldn't take one of the best engine designs to come along in years and make a winnerout of it. Byron Hines took a 100 year old Roto Tiller motor and turned it into a winning package. BIG DIFFERENCE is Byron is a Engine design master and Rob is a BIG FAT JOKE! that only sells shit or can win if he has a Huge advantage over all the other competion. History don't lie! Good luck with Rob you'll need it and a whole lot more.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Gunner said:
Hey man did it ever cross your mind that you yourself may just be the inexperienced one of the bunch. All I ask is for honesty when you get the stuff and try and get it running. You'll be fucked if you need help from Muzzys is all I'm telling you. Their rep for customer service is DOG SHIT! Unless you consider some dick head telling you how to screw on a set of frame sliders service. They have NEVER been any help to any of the 12 guys on ANY motor rlated problems with their products. It's always the customer's fault and NONE of their own. Muzzys is like a lot of other companies that has too many employees that don't give a shit. You would have been best dealing with NLR and if you couldn't afford them which is understandable then Barry at Velocity would be hands down the NEXT choice. If it makes you feel any better Rob Muzzy don't even build his own race motors in that Harley trash he runs in NHRA! Yea that's right he leases them from George Bryce at Star Racing!!!!!!!!!!!! What a disgrace for a supposed engine guru!!!!!!!!!! Rob is a JOKE these days for that very reason! He's single handedly responcable for Kawasaki pulling OUT of drag racing! His ZERO results at making the field in NHRA for 3 seasons with the 12R motor package was a BLACK EYE to them and they left. While he couldn't take one of the best engine designs to come along in years and make a winnerout of it. Byron Hines took a 100 year old Roto Tiller motor and turned it into a winning package. BIG DIFFERENCE is Byron is a Engine design master and Rob is a BIG FAT JOKE! that only sells shit or can win if he has a Huge advantage over all the other competion. History don't lie! Good luck with Rob you'll need it and a whole lot more.
If thats the case, you already warned him b4 he bought it, now just let him find out for himself...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
That's the strait up truth. I don't have any reason to say it if it wasn't true. I just hate to see people get dragged into projects that will require customer servive and NOT get it. Muzzys is well known for that type of treatment of it's customers. Turbo kits are NEVER plug and play type of deals NO matter who's kit it is.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gunner said:
That's the strait up truth. I don't have any reason to say it if it wasn't true. I just hate to see people get dragged into projects that will require customer servive and NOT get it. Muzzys is well known for that type of treatment of it's customers. Turbo kits are NEVER plug and play type of deals NO matter who's kit it is.
I understand you have some hate for muzzy. No doubt they have done you wrong in the past and im not in anyway defending them. But all im saying is there isnt to much choices on turbo setups for our bikes and not any that i could have recieved in the time frame i need it.

This will be a real learning experience If what you say is true but for me personally. I know i wont be having anything crappy running on my bike. What sucks is not many people have local people that can help to work through some of the kinks when installing such kits.

I agree with you completely with customer service but I dont think i will have an issue with this based on my past experience with turbo's in general. I could have built a kit myself but rather just purchase the kit. I am not new when coming to any type of adding aftermarket parts to bikes or cars. I have never had to go around and sell an item i just purchased cause i couldnt make it work.
Now as far as the bike running crappy Im sure there is potential for that but that could be with any kit. I think anyones best bet is to get someone qualified who knows how to tune a bike for this situation.

I am a fan i high quality and good customer service for pete sake i work in customer service and have for over 10yrs. You will know if something doenst come to plan. I will promise that.

·
Registered
376 Posts
To bad you weren't closer turboten, otherwise I'd love to try and get you out here to tune your bike. Problem is, you need to tune it to wherever you're going to be riding it. Air stats and altitude can be a big factor to whether a turbo bike can run correctly, or be a bucking bronco.

The owner of our shop has been drag racing for more years I've been alive, and knows Muzzy, and all the other big wigs on the circuit, past and present. He's tuned more turbo bikes than I can think of, and just plainly know his $h!t. I can't state my own opinion or experience about Muzzy, but I've heard several things the same as what Gunner says.

Just find a good tuner is all. It didn't sound like you were going to push your turbo/motor to the wood, so as long as it just runs right, I hope it works out. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I don't have any experience with turbos on these bikes yet. I have planned on building a turbo bie for a while. I know people with the Muzzys turbo kit " the $8,000. kit" that love it but there is alot more stuff that you need to buy to make it work right, but that is with mostly all kits. I called Muzzys and Velocity about their kits and both seemed helpfull but that is when they are trying to sell you something to you. I do know that they are still working the bugs out of most of the kits for the 10 and so I would think that they would be really helpfull to all who buy them so they can fine tune their own. As for the muzzys vs. the velocity kit. I have been thinking about it and velocity racing does mostly all turbo work and that should tell you something about their kit. However rob has been around the industry for a long time and has had experience with turbo bikes so toss a coin.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Honestly I only care about seeing guys hav a positive outcome with their bike projects. My issues aren't with Rob directly as I stated Rob himself seems to try, but his company has grown to a point that he can't keep control and the guys he has hired are morons. Back in the day I use to deal directlywith Terry Vance when I called Vance and Hines, or Perry Sands at Performance machine. Now days that's NOT possible and their products have become mainly watered down versions of what they once were. Their companies ride on a name reconition and that's about all. It's the way most companies finally end up untill they close down. Hell Byron Hines opened Freedom motorsports to continue the drag racing development. Look at the NAME Freedom motorsports..........What do you think he was breaking free from? The corporate BS! Muzzys is already on that path and speeding right along. Nothing great happens in a board room. The best stuff comes from small one or two person shops. And when the man who's NAME is on the door can't come to the phone and talk to you it's a sure sign to NOT do business there. At least Barry still answers the phone just like Brock Davidson does at his company. I've watch both these men helping customers at the track and on the net for some time. When was the last time you saw or heard of Rob doing that. You won't! It souldn't really matter what someone did 10 years ago but what they're willing to do today or in the case of a future customer tomorrow when you have problems. In the motorsports industry customer service is what you pay for just make sure you're dealing with a person you can get it from. That's ALL!

Man I hope you mke a ton of power and never need any help from them. But take it from a guys who's 42 and owned several turbo bikes in the past.. They never work out like advertised and you will need many questions answered. Also on the 10 watch out for the Ti exhaust valves and high temps. You will be money ahead to replace them with SS before the install. Also see Iceman for some help with valve springs. Just a little Preventive measures that will save you lots of trouble down the road.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks gunner i appreciate your response should be alot we can all learn from. I will give you a heads up of how status goes and maybe i can feed off your perspective if problems arise.

thanks

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I agree, muzzys service after the sale sucks. There tech department is not very helpful at all. I hope your turbo works good out of the box because they will be no help. You might as well just guess on the answers to your questions, because I think that is what they do. I have never got a straight answer to a question from there tech guys. Good luck

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Vince10R said:
I agree, muzzys service after the sale sucks. There tech department is not very helpful at all. I hope your turbo works good out of the box because they will be no help. You might as well just guess on the answers to your questions, because I think that is what they do. I have never got a straight answer to a question from there tech guys. Good luck

I think if guys would spend more time reading about the Sorry ASS service after the sale from there(sure they're nice while they're getting you credit card number) they would be but a memory in short order. iT AMAZES me how long a company can hang on simply on past reputation alone.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts