Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so i have a shorty baffled dump on my bike now. When i got tuned my bike made 163whp/78tq but the tuner said that my torque was kind of low and that my exhaust was probably the problem. Im stock gearing, just exhaust, K&N filter, PC3, and i removed my secondaries. Im thinking i should be making more power...

Should i make more power with a muzzy m10 slip on?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
it's just dyno #'s, should've asked if he could show you dyno sheets from other bikes to compare to, at least that's what I do when I dyno bikes

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
oh here we go again with backpressure................ you will always loose power with backpressure..........that's a fact lol, not the other way around

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
your numbers are fine. different dyno, different day. Back pressure means reduced engine ability to exhaust combusted gases, translating to less power. Tune the fueling of it and itll be just fine. Pretty much every aftermarket system is a straight-through muffler and piping. Not really any backpressure. Altering the way gasses can flow through the exhaust system, like the way headers are designed to reduce the reverse flow region right where it bends coming off of the head, is another way back pressure is reduced and allows gasses to flow more quickly and freely.

Honestly, I think the back-pressure thing comes from the bike being loud but not going anywhere mainly because, well, its loud. Loud at idle, loud at cruise, loud at WOT.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay so here is my next question. $50 for an m10 slip on. I assume its a good deal and I really wanna get a pipe that wont sit so low and drag around corners... anyone have one? Hows the sound? Pics would be nice too.

BTW it was 105 degrees the day we dyno'd.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also... A cat delete, since back pressure plays virtually no role could i delete my cat, save the weight and run that M10 and not lose any ponies? Of course i would get a retune next time i could get on the rollers.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Dunno much about an M10 slip, but if you ditch the cat and tune for the cat gone, and the other slip-on youd probably gain a good few ponies. And ditch some weight.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just don't wanna lose the cat and not gain anything other than weight loss or potentially cause issues...

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
you will not cause any issues by removing the cat and adding a different muffler. just tune the bike to run with it and itll be fine. as long as there is fuel added to compensate, you will gain more power. youll save weight, gain power and not create any issues.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Haha okay I think you covered all the bases there. No wrong can come from this... got it. Thanks!
no worries man. good luck with what youre doin :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay i have good news and bad news! Good news is i got the pipe on and the bad news is that i couldnt delete the cat for weight savings because of the tight bends the new pipe would actually weigh more so we hollowed it instead! There was SSSSSOOOOOOO much stuff inside and i think thats where a lot of the weight came from. Its not like a regular honey comb inside, its like stacked aluminum but its a heavier metal than aluminum... I'll try to get a pic later...

Anyways, i can feel a power gain on the butt dyno but i'll be calling my tuner to see if we can get it on the rollers today to see if its just in my head or not!

All in all, i maybe dropped 4-5lbs but i gained it right back by adding a bigger can so its not really a gain unless the dyno shows any HP over 163... I'll keep you posted.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts