Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to Muzzy aluminum fan to replace the stock one on their 10R? If so, how much of a pain was it to install and did you notice the bike running any cooler.

I just ordered one and will post results when I get around to putting it on. Don't hold your breath though... I am way backed up on projects. :badteeth:

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Not even sure if Muzzy make an aluminum fan for current ZX10R models.

I does make them for the older 88-90 models. Those models were prone to melting the fan because the fan was so close to the header pipe.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I had one on mime the stock fan worked better

·
Registered
104 Posts
I had one on my zx-7 and one of the blade broke off and hit the rad fins. I was lucky it didn't puncture it.:headshake I went back to stock.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
Looking in the service manual last night because I'm considering a full exhaust and wanted to see what I had to do...of course take the radiator off and was looking at the...it seems to get the fan off you have to take the radiator off.

I could be wrong though.

If you do it seems like a lot of work just to install a fan that might not work the best from what people are saying.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I replaced everyone of my stock fans w/ a Muzzys except my '06 ZX-10R. The one on my '96 ZX-7R stripped. Ever since then I replaced them. The have an extra blade and cools the engine faster. Hence, less battery drain.

·
Registered
700 Posts
They will push more air than stock. They help alittle for stop and go riding but not really a needed mod. Unless you are a parking lot cruser.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They will push more air than stock. They help alittle for stop and go riding but not really a needed mod. Unless you are a parking lot cruser.
Thanks for the input. I am definititely not a parking lot cruiser, but sometimes get caught in a stau (traffic jam) on the autobahn and I figured the fan would help some.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced everyone of my stock fans w/ a Muzzys except my '06 ZX-10R. The one on my '96 ZX-7R stripped. Ever since then I replaced them. The have an extra blade and cools the engine faster. Hence, less battery drain.
Thanks for your input. Pretty much goes along with what I was thinking. Cooler is better, right? :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looking in the service manual last night because I'm considering a full exhaust and wanted to see what I had to do...of course take the radiator off and was looking at the...it seems to get the fan off you have to take the radiator off.

I could be wrong though.

If you do it seems like a lot of work just to install a fan that might not work the best from what people are saying.
Yea, I figured I would have to remove the radiator to install the fan. Several posts below back up the manufacturer's claim that it does cool better than the stock fan as well. When I get around to installing it, I will try and take pics and post it in the product eval section. May be awhile though. I have MANY more projects ahead of that one.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not even sure if Muzzy make an aluminum fan for current ZX10R models.

I does make them for the older 88-90 models. Those models were prone to melting the fan because the fan was so close to the header pipe.
Yea, they make it for the 04-05 10R. I ordered one already. $35 plus shipping. I am looking for a little extra cooling at slow speeds. Sometimes get caught in traffic jams on the autobahn here in Germany. Sometimes I lane split to get thru, but like California, it is accepted by the law, but not technically legal.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
i got an 04 10 and put a 07 radiator in it its wider. than the 04/05 might want to look into doing something like this if you want more cool.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i got an 04 10 and put a 07 radiator in it its wider. than the 04/05 might want to look into doing something like this if you want more cool.
Thanks for the suggestion. Did it just bolt on in place of the stock piece? Did you have to make any mods to the stock fairing or anything else? I may start looking for a good used one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
put a remote fan switch on if you do alot of in town stop and go, just flip it on when your in traffic and alls good. mine keeps me below 200 and works great. do a search and you will find out how.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
put a remote fan switch on if you do alot of in town stop and go, just flip it on when your in traffic and alls good. mine keeps me below 200 and works great. do a search and you will find out how.
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Fans are only good if you are stuck in traffic all the time. Fans actually hamper the radiators cooling efficiency when the bike is moving at +40 mph. That is the main reason race bikes don't use fans. It's aslo dead weight on a racebike. So if you ride to enjoy the ZX10R proper like you don't use the fan at all. It's only there for when you unfortunantley get stuck in traffic. I design all my riding routes not to get stuck in traffic. That goes for commuting, and asphalt surfing.

·
Administrator
6,717 Posts
I have one, didn't notice a difference. I'm in stop and go traffic on my way home from work everyday. Even yesterday the temp outside couldn't have been above 75 yet my bike was hitting 225 easy.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a Muzzy aluminum on my 2006. I horse traded the dealer to put it on so no installation tips to share with you.

as for performance... right around stock (which has more blades but they're smaller) in terms of cooling capacity. Maybe the stock was a little better.

I live in Florida where I can get 5-6 hours of plus 95degree heat a day. And try as I might to stay out of congested traffic there are times you have to sit and take it. Having known guys whose plastic fans have stripped I decided to fork out for aluminum.

This should not be a factor in a purchase to protect an investment, but I think my Muzzy fan is a little louder than the stock.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts