Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience comparing these 2 race fuels?

The problem is...after Dec 31 2009, looks like leaded fuel such as U4.2 wont be allowed into Canada due to regulations. I am told my other option is MS-109 9% Oxygenated. Any feed back would be great

·
T Double D
870 Posts
the u4.2 gets really really sticky and i had problems running it in my bike and i made more power and more top end speed at maxton with mr9 it runs better in my bike it runs cleaner the u4.2 imho runs like crap i have to raise my idle or the bike dies i cant get it to run right i gave all of the u4.2 away to my buddy with a 4wheeler for free i hated it so much

·
Registered
772 Posts
the u4.2 gets really really sticky and i had problems running it in my bike and i made more power and more top end speed at maxton with mr9 it runs better in my bike it runs cleaner the u4.2 imho runs like crap i have to raise my idle or the bike dies i cant get it to run right i gave all of the u4.2 away to my buddy with a 4wheeler for free i hated it so much
ive just started using u4.2 and love it.im mixing it half n half with 93.im def not seeing idle issues or any kinda probs?are u leaving it in the bike after use?i drain it outa the bike and run some fresh pump gas through mine everytime im done with it.so i call bs

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the MS109 leave the white residue in the exhaust like the U4.2?

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
Race fuel and stock bike= a waste of money...If anything I think you would lose some performance then gain some. If you like the smell go for it, but the last time I checked that race fuel in a stocker is a waste...

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Race fuel and stock bike= a waste of money...If anything I think you would lose some performance then gain some. If you like the smell go for it, but the last time I checked that race fuel in a stocker is a waste...
It's not for my ZX10R.......its for my son's race bike. It is getting a Pro Circuit race engine that must run on race fuel. They recomend U4.2, problem is, after December 31, 2009, U4.2 and ANY leaded fuel will NOT be allowed in Canada. The VP rep told me we can use M109. Thats why I wanted to know if anyone compared the 2

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
get with xxx fuels they make some good stuff and its all unleaded we have use the ms-109 and it work well too we always flush the tanks after every rae weekend

·
Registered
772 Posts
:crackup::crackup::crackup:...wow u seem like u know what your talkin about?im gona say no:lol:

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
It's not for my ZX10R.......its for my son's race bike. It is getting a Pro Circuit race engine that must run on race fuel. They recomend U4.2, problem is, after December 31, 2009, U4.2 and ANY leaded fuel will NOT be allowed in Canada. The VP rep told me we can use M109. Thats why I wanted to know if anyone compared the 2
edit: just an fyi, MS109 doesn't contain 9% oxygen, it's around 2.4% if memory serves. MR9 is a heavily oxygenated fuel, and it contains 2.4% O2
Wow, it's been a long time since I've been around here(so Hi guys to any of the originals left), but I can chime in on this one for you as I just went through the same deal....U4.2 vs. MR9.
BTW, you can look up the specs on the VP website....
The 109 has a higher Motor Octane Number than the U4 and will tolerate a higher compression ratio before detonation(preignition, or knock) than U4 will. This may or may not be a concern for your son's motor, and the engine builder can tell you. M109 does not have as much oxygen as 4.2(but almost).

4.2, having more O2, can effectively raise the octane rating because you'll be flowing more of it.....O2 helps prevent detonation. And, because you're flowing more fuel the intake charge is cooler and richer, also helping to prevent detonation.
All in all, save for engines running on the ragged edge of detonating, 4.2 and 109 are pretty much interchangeable.

I ride an Arclight Racing GSXR600 at trackdays (settledown guys, I still have the 10!) that requires higher-than-pump octane, and is mapped for MR9. It runs just fine with 4.2 in the tank or with MR9. I will say this though, it runs like garbage on 100 or 110 octane non-oxygenated fuels(mapping is way too rich for a non-O2 fuel). For now, I prefer the 4.2 because it's like 1/2 - 2/3 the price of MR9 and makes damn near the same power. I pay about $23USD/ US GAL. for MR9 in a 30 gal drum or like $12-15/gal for 4.2.

If you're running 4.2 now just make the swap over to M109 or M109E when the time comes, and if you want to minimize any differences between the two fuels, have the bike remapped on the new stuff.
And don't listen to anybody that tells you that 4.2 makes a mess of things. That was an issue with U4 only(and a serious one). Those issues are gone with the reformulated 4.2. VP still "says" you should drain the fuel after racing, but talk to any of the engineers and they'll tell you not to worry, or ask me:mrgreen: my Arclight put down 107 hp last Aug.(2008) with U4.2 and 104 hp this Sept(2009) with the same fuel sitting in the tank :eyecrazy: I know, I know; I should be banished for cruelty to fuel pumps and injectors, but after all, it is only a GSXR.
Hope that helps a little!

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Is your bike mapped for either MR9 or U4.2?

·
Dont mess wit White Ninja
5,932 Posts
zx-sik-r
Quote:
Originally Posted by abprep07 View Post
...wow u seem like u know what your talkin about?im gona say no

Not trying to jack your thread, but hey man "zx-sik-r" please explain to me why 110 octane is better then running 93 off the pump on a stock liter class street bike? Please explain since I don't know...Last time I checked a tuner knows his stuff along with about 10 threads on it so please explain....I want to know all the gains from running a high octane vs pump on a stock bike....Enlighten me and I'm sure the rest would like to know too....

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=76922&highlight=110+octane

http://www.zx-10r.net/forum/showthread.php?t=74226&highlight=110+octane

zx-sik-r please read the shit above on the links and get back to me...since I don't know my stuff ahahaha
:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Gladding, I think you answered all my questions.
Thanks for putting the time and effort in that post. :thumbsup:

I only have 1 more question.... VP fuels still has stock on 45gal/drums of U4.2, If I were to buy say 2-3 drums (that should last a season) would it go bad sitting if I didnt open the drums? till next summer?

·
Registered
772 Posts
i hope to have the bike back on the dyno next week so i can these results in your face.i picked up 2-3 mph on straight u4.2 and e.t. and i run the bike 2-3 times a week..and gee i put some race fuel in it and it gets faster?duh duh id call that performance gain.i cant wait to a dyno graph on this fuel so u will shut up and go back to racing your gay pit bike:thefinger

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Only true if you were talking about a high octane non oxygenated fuel. Theres tons of hp to be had with an oxygenated racefuel like mrx01 and mr9. I dont have any experience with the ms109 but all the good vp racefuel will increase hp on a bone stock engine. I have dynoed xxx 118 fuel also and wasnt impressed with it. it also takes a whole lot of extra fuel to get the a/f right and it borderlines on needing the fuel pressure raised on the bike if you cant get enough adjustment out of the pc. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Gladding, I think you answered all my questions.
Thanks for putting the time and effort in that post. :thumbsup:

I only have 1 more question.... VP fuels still has stock on 45gal/drums of U4.2, If I were to buy say 2-3 drums (that should last a season) would it go bad sitting if I didnt open the drums? till next summer?
u4.2 is not that good. it was a cost effective and decent fuel when it was just U4 but they messed it up. mrx01 and mr9 will give good power increases but they cost more than U4.2 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, I picked up 5 gallons of U4.2 last night... going to try it out on Sunday at the MX track. If anything, its worth the money for the smell alone, smells awesome!! LOL

VP still has several 45gal drums of U4.2, so if we like it, I may just buy 3-4 drums and store them until next summer.....they told me it will be fine, just not to open the drums until I am ready to use it

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
HOLY CRAP!! What a difference!! :thumbsup:
The U4.2 made a noticeable difference!! The KX250F just woke right up with the race fuel, the engine even sounded different. Awesome!!

I even ran it in a BONE STOCK 09 Honda CRF250, and what I did with that one was.....
I pulled the fuel line OFF the carb,....drained the pump gas out the tank, and put the U4.2 in the tank. When I started it up it was still running the pump fuel in the carb and after a couple corners it was like a turbo kicked in....the race fuel making its way through the carb.
DEFINETLY a noticeable difference.

It's expensive, but if you are racing, it's worth the performance advantage.

I will be ordering 3 45gal/drums to have for next season.
I am POSITIVE this fuel will make the ZX10R come alive as well, and for sure I will be trying it in that next summer.
The difference was pretty dramatic.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I know nothing, but what is the highest octane I can run in the 10?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts