Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cali if there is any question..Really REALLY thinkin about it. One of my best friends is about to head out there, and he's really got me thinkin about it. After about 99% of my friends stabbed me in the back last year. Its time for me to experience somethin else. I'm so unhappy here and i've been here for about 18 years now, the only thing I have here is my immediate family. But its time to live my life.

So those of you guys that live out there gimme the low down. I know its crazy busy and expensive. Lots of traffic. but anything else I need to know? I plan on being there in the next year. Just need to get my bike done and things straight and I'm gonna load the bike up in the truck and make a journey.

·
Boomer Sooner!
2,337 Posts
If you have been in Oklahoma for that long, move to L.A. Is going to be a major change. I have never live there but I have been out that a bunch of times. Traffic is a huge huge difference. I mean, in tulsa, at 5 in the afternoon when traffic is at its worst is about the normal out there. If you are into guns, the gun laws are way way different out there. A lot more limitations. The weather is always nice, which is a plus, but everything out there is more expensive. Before you perminately move, I would go out there and stay with your friend for 2 or 3 weeks and make sure. You might love. There is a reason why there are so many people out there, but me personally, i wouldn't live there if someone was willing to give me a house for free. Just not my cup of tea. Although, I feel the same way about Dallas and Houston also. They are just too big and too many people.

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,371 Posts
Well let's start off with..

There's plenty of Starbucks here. I'm serious. On Beverly Blvd in BH, there's at least 4 and it's only a mile or 2 long.
But all kidding aside, there is no place like LA. For one we have the best weather year round compared to the rest of the country. The most amusement parks, Canyons to ride, beaches, Malibu, the most AMAZING finest genetically desirable yet EXTREMELY shallow emtpy shell women too!

It's not that expensive everywhere if you look around. You'll never get bored out here. Every day and night there's somethign to do or going on.
Look up westsiderentals.com and you can look up a place throught all kinds of filters and catagories. The bike scene?
If I am not mistaken, Southern Cali has THE LARGEST amount of bike clubs on this planet. Every possible name known is taken lol. One even with a CVC code for speeding and the # is on their vest. Bike nights pop up all over the place. Lots of race tracks too. Did I mentiond there were plenty of Starbucks?

·
I really need to get out of the house
13,309 Posts
I have been there a few times, LOVE IT!!...yes it hot and tons of ppl but wow what a place to live, so much to do and see.

Im not sure how old you are BG, but if you have nothing holdin you back now is the time for you experience life and to me there is no better place.:thumbsup:

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
BC the thing is, I mean I spent the first 10 year I really remember of my life in a sub of Pittsburgh. Then moved here. I've always wanted to see Cali but have never had the chance and now one of my best friends is goin, and that was really all I needed to try. I just didn't wanna go at it alone ya know.

Thats what I was thinkin Static, and though I'm not into the bike club thing I will have my bike of course :mrgreen: But I want something else. I'm going no where in tulsa and I literally know a connection to everyone. I want to make new friends I need to make new friends and everywhere I go here i'm gonna know someone ya know.

I have been there a few times, LOVE IT!!...yes it hot and tons of ppl but wow what a place to live, so much to do and see.

Im not sure how old you are BG, but if you have nothing holdin you back now is the time for you experience life and to me there is no better place.:thumbsup:
And thats another BIG part of it. I turn 30 on Memorial day weekend. :badteeth: If ever in my life is the time to experience something new this is it. My buddy loved it so much he almost didn't come back. So I told him after he gets there and situated I'm goin! I am gonna miss my family here but I need to live my life. I have no one other than that. After most my friends stabbed my in the back last year, it finally gave me the motivation to go somewhere else if only for a year or 2. At least that, I have to try..

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,371 Posts
A lot also depends on the work you do. But there is SOOOO much to do in this city. We literally have it all, Palm Springs for a hot vacation, Big Bear for snow boarding. Vegas a few hours away. For 30 it's a great city to start in. the traffic is... a HUGE bummer, our 405 and 10 freeway from what I hear is one of the busiest freeways on this planet. But there are surface streets and on a bike it's less of a headache. If having things to do all the time and weather is a big part of your life. LA is the place to be.

·
Boomer Sooner!
2,337 Posts
The fact that your best friend is going is good. And if you are unhappy in tulsa then you should go try it out. It is a really cool place. I love going out there to visit, but that's about it for me. Since your friend is going and you already want to leave, you probably should then. Otherwise you are just going to make yourself more miserable think about why you didn't go. I just wouldn't cut off all ties in Tulsa, because it is such a different place, you might not like it, and want to come back.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A lot also depends on the work you do. But there is SOOOO much to do in this city. We literally have it all, Palm Springs for a hot vacation, Big Bear for snow boarding. Vegas a few hours away. For 30 it's a great city to start in. the traffic is... a HUGE bummer, our 405 and 10 freeway from what I hear is one of the busiest freeways on this planet. But there are surface streets and on a bike it's less of a headache. If having things to do all the time and weather is a big part of your life. LA is the place to be.
Well I do IT, but up until this job i've always been a hard working type. But really I can do just about anything.. I figure traffic would really suck! But I can deal. :)

The fact that your best friend is going is good. And if you are unhappy in tulsa then you should go try it out. It is a really cool place. I love going out there to visit, but that's about it for me. Since your friend is going and you already want to leave, you probably should then. Otherwise you are just going to make yourself more miserable think about why you didn't go. I just wouldn't cut off all ties in Tulsa, because it is such a different place, you might not like it, and want to come back.
Oh no man its not even like that. All my family are pretty much here, and Kansas. Which the only thing that is really gonna bother me is leaving my 2 little neices, and my grandparents. My grandpa is almost 86 now. So kinda worries me he won't be here to much longer. But Its time I live my life again. I don't even go out here anymore because I literally hate everyone around me except my family. So.....

·
Registered
414 Posts
If you're thinking about moving I would really consider Texas. More specifically, Austin, DFW, or Houston...in that order. 3 of the top 5 economies and fastest growing cities in America. I've lived in a bunch of different places but I've never had trouble finding work in texas. I'm just sayin, if you're just trying to get away then there's much more logical choices than L.A. but if you just want to go because its L.A. then go there because there's no other place like it.

·
Shorty's Performance
8,860 Posts
For sure it's gonna be a different world there are things you're hate but there're gonna be things you're gonna love but either way you will be welcome here and hopefully you can join us at the track :thumbsup:

What??? How come you never told me this?? Mmm you know what I dont like anymore :mrgreen:

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you're thinking about moving I would really consider Texas. More specifically, Austin, DFW, or Houston...in that order. 3 of the top 5 economies and fastest growing cities in America. I've lived in a bunch of different places but I've never had trouble finding work in texas. I'm just sayin, if you're just trying to get away then there's much more logical choices than L.A. but if you just want to go because its L.A. then go there because there's no other place like it.
Well I've been to Austin, Austin, and Dallas. Dallas quite a few times. West Coast is Main place I have never been but always wanted to go. I'm out on Texas, not much different other than being bigger. I want competely different scene. Plus i'm not going bymyself. Already have 1 good friend in LA and bout to be another one.

For sure it's gonna be a different world there are things you're hate but there're gonna be things you're gonna love but either way you will be welcome here and hopefully you can join us at the track :thumbsup:

What??? How come you never told me this?? Mmm you know what I dont like anymore :mrgreen:
Hell yeah man!!! I'm ready to see new tracks and race new people! Its definitely time! I'll have to hit you up and have you show me around when I get there and get situated. :thumbsup: Like I said its prob gonna be a bit, but by this time next year I wanna be there.

·
Shorty's Performance
8,860 Posts
Well I've been to Austin, Austin, and Dallas. Dallas quite a few times. West Coast is Main place I have never been but always wanted to go. I'm out on Texas, not much different other than being bigger. I want competely different scene. Plus i'm not going bymyself. Already have 1 good friend in LA and bout to be another one.

Hell yeah man!!! I'm ready to see new tracks and race new people! Its definitely time! I'll have to hit you up and have you show me around when I get there and get situated. :thumbsup: Like I said its prob gonna be a bit, but by this time next year I wanna be there.
For sure man, Keep me updated :mrgreen:

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For sure man, Keep me updated :mrgreen:
Will do buddy! :thumbsup:

Its an awesome place. I would live there if it weren't did the job/money thing.
Yeah I definitely hear ya, thats my main concern. BUT my buddy has a big invention that just cam eout, and more to come. So he's gonna be set, and thats who i'm gonna stay with when I do get up there. So should have plenty of time to get settled before I have to worry to much.

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,132 Posts
Pack you bags and get out here, the twisties, beaches,girls , girls & girls! I used to live in Anaheim, hated the traffic and moved to Fresno..Like others say, there is so much to do and the life style is off the hook.It's funny, you want to come out west, I want to go back east (touring anyway)..:lol:

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pack you bags and get out here, the twisties, beaches,girls , girls & girls! I used to live in Anaheim, hated the traffic and moved to Fresno..Like others say, there is so much to do and the life style is off the hook.It's funny, you want to come out west, I want to go back east (touring anyway)..:lol:
Thats what I want! I'm just afraid I won't be able to find a decent job or be able to afford it out there. I've been rock bottom. Like either put 2 dollars in my gas tank or eat that day. Don't ever wanna be back there ya know..

·
Registered
250 Posts
You should make sure to have some savings before you go. I grew up there. L.A. is a big place.

Some of the bad:

Housing is more expensive. Insurance coverage and registration is more expensive. The valley is hot and less expensive. But the beach is much cooler and more expensive. There are rolling blackouts. Earthquakes. The job market sucks a bit more than other places.

Some of the good:

The weather can be awesome, especially in the beach area. Lane splitting is not illegal. Motorcycles can use the carpool lane. You can ride pretty much all year round. And as has been said, everything's within a decent driving distance.

Good luck if/when you go!

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You should make sure to have some savings before you go. I grew up there. L.A. is a big place.

Some of the bad:

Housing is more expensive. Insurance coverage and registration is more expensive. The valley is hot and less expensive. But the beach is much cooler and more expensive. There are rolling blackouts. Earthquakes. The job market sucks a bit more than other places.

Some of the good:

The weather can be awesome, especially in the beach area. Lane splitting is not illegal. Motorcycles can use the carpool lane. You can ride pretty much all year round. And as has been said, everything's within a decent driving distance.

Good luck if/when you go!
Thanks man. I've actually been textin my friend all day about it, and she has lived up there for the passed year. She wants me to move in with her. But her lease is up in July so I may be going sooner than I thought. Only bad thing is I have NO savings.. Thats the only part that scares me.. Gonna have to figure somethin out pretty quick..

·
formerly GHOST RIDER
2,132 Posts
Only bad thing is I have NO savings.. Thats the only part that scares me.. Gonna have to figure somethin out pretty quick..[/QUOTE]
Cali. is still America bro. you don't need money to live:spit: You only need money if you want to live better:badteeth: A fresh start, new place, new friends, new life & new choices. You got a place to crash already that's a +.As for the jobs, it's out there..just got to find it. Either way, wish you well on your new begining.:eek:ccasion1

1 - 20 of 44 Posts