Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tried searching and no luck. I am looking for the best location to mount the wideband sensor on my 07 ZX-10. Obviously the best answer is to follow the manufacturers recommendation but lets be honest, I am going to have to bend those rules a little here.

I dont want to cut any fairing at all costs! If I have to and if I think its worth it, I will but I think this should be managable without doing it and get a good reading.

Where is everyone mounting theres?

I took some pics and a description. Let me know what you think is the best. Need to weld this bung up ASAP and get tuning!

First here is the decat pipe I bought. It looks to have 2 12mm O2 bungs (dont know why they are there) but the daytona sensor is an 18mm size. I was thinking of grinding the left side off and installing the 18mm bung there but doing this will only read 2 cylinders. But this hides the sensor really nice and snug in there out of view.

Next option is to install the bung somewhere on the decat pipe. Here are some sample on where to put it. Im not liking the idea of sensor sticking out to side of bike.

Next I could but the bung on the head flange itself but doing so again will only read 2 cylinders and I would prefer to weld bung onto the decat pipe over the header...

Next is I could put the bung after it mixes after the decat pipe but then that would be far back away from the motor and it would be after the butterfly valve... I dont know how accurate that would be. And again, issue with sensor sticking out the side of the bike

Obviously prime location is when the 2 pipes mix but I am willing to sacrafice some by putting up front closer reading only 2 cylinders. After all, its a fuel injected bike, not carbd. I am going to be honest... Im liking the fact of only reading 2 cylinders and just tune off 2.

Obviously a dual sensor would be ideal but Im not trying to get to involved like that. I have simple bolt ons just looking to tune with a PC rather than tune on a dyno.

Please keep this discussion about placement of O2 bung and what others have done. Thank you.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Are you going to be able to get an air tight weld by the flange? Looks really close.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you going to be able to get an air tight weld by the flange? Looks really close.
Yes. Its already been mocked up. I did a quick tack weld to hold in place and I bolted it in place, no issues. Serious oil pan clearance issues which is why I had to get it as straight forward as I could at an angle or it wouldnt clear oil pan.

I am not going to weld it just yet as the daytona sensor hasnt arrived yet. When it gets here, I will do a quick mock up and make sure no issues then weld it. I am using a stock O2 sensor for now haha

·
Registered
620 Posts
The welder I had do mine said it was too close to the flange to get a good weld, so I moved it to the position like you had in the last pic on the first post. Can't really see it unless you get down and look.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhhh I see what you mean. I will mock it up tomorrow on the bike and angle it as much as I can to the oil pan and see what I can get for access. I was just going to weld it on inside too to make sure its sealed but I see what your saying.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
there must be a very good reason why akrapovic put there extra port in the single pipe section on there system's..............
Oh yeah? And whys that? Are you just guessing or do you know what your talking about?

Regardless, the stock cat doesnt have the fittings so "Kawi must not of put them there for a very good reason"

I bought the decat pipe for 1 reason and one reason only. Whatever other intentions the pipe is made for, is not the route I am going.

·
Registered
477 Posts
so it reads all the gasses in one section of pipe,kawasaki put one in each pipe for the same reason too read two cylinders each..your not going to get a accurate reading as you are only seeing the gases from two cylinders...

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
so it reads all the gasses in one section of pipe,kawasaki put one in each pipe for the same reason too read two cylinders each..your not going to get a accurate reading as you are only seeing the gases from two cylinders...
Kawi NEVER put any sensors there to begin with so what are you talking about? The readings are going to be more accurate reading 2 than reading 4. I do not wish to explain myself to you because clearly your talking out of your ass.

Sign off the forum or learn to give advice only when you know what your talking about.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Kawi NEVER put any sensors there to begin with so what are you talking about? The readings are going to be more accurate reading 2 than reading 4. I do not wish to explain myself to you because clearly your talking out of your ass.

Sign off the forum or learn to give advice only when you know what your talking about.
My question is why you asked for opinions when your clearly had your mind made up on what was right and wrong?! :dontknow: lol

·
Registered
477 Posts

guy's i think we have a know it all,

theres no need to get personal and abusive,even if you think you are better than others!!!!(i think its you who should sign off pal)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts