Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:dontknow: I know there are threads about oil but...
Has anyone used the Motul 300v double ester full synth oil(lime green stuff :p) and can compare to amsoil 10w40? Ordering chain lube from amsoil (best I've used) and woundering if I should switch to amsoil's 10w40 from Motul's top shelf 300v which is actually a lime green color...

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Never used the amsoil stuff but I think the 300V 5w40 is the best oil available for sportbikes. Although, it's not lime green until it's been ran in the engine. From the bottle it's more of a honey color and it does smell good, too.

·
Registered
223 Posts
the 300V keeps oil pressure even when oil is hot (doesn't get too fluid) and protect your engine really well...
I 've been using it for 15 years in both sports car and bikes and I recommend it...
Besides, it smells good !

·
Registered
603 Posts
I don't think the 300v comes in a 10w-40. I do like the way the motul smells not that it's important...lol. That being said just like ALL oil threads, how can you ever say one is better than or equal to the other without having oil analysis done and/or tearing your motor apart to visually inspect the internals. I have never understood how people are so quick to shout out "Brand X is the best oil money can buy" and they have no data whatsoever on it :rolleyes:

·
Registered
775 Posts
Motul 300V comes in 10W40. It is also green in color when new. I use it in my sportbike and cruiser. It is a good oil, but I don't know if it is better than the Amsoil. I have also run Castrol R4 Superbike and Silkolene with good results.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Although, it's not lime green until it's been ran in the engine. From the bottle it's more of a honey color and it does smell good, too.
The double ester 300v 5w40 is the newest stuff out from motul. You might want to make sure you order "300v double ester 5w40 full synth" it's green...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Guys, don´t follow the good smell-good taste-good color track... This oil is not for your salad :lol:

Look at this. It´s extracted from a complete oil analysis from Sport Rider.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_oil/index.html
http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0310_oil/index.html

The viscosity test reveals that Motul 5W40 (It might not be the double ester that you mention :dontknow: ) does not perform as well as you would like to.

"Don't let fancy colors influence your opinion of an oil's quality or sophistication-some are just dyes that quickly burn off. Note how this sample of the Motorex PowerSyn synthetic oil quickly loses its green hue after just one hour in the heat test.."

Attachments

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
good info there. I can't find the exact link but amsoil has some of their own testing on their website. IF I can find it I'll try to copy & paste. (Amsoil shows a higher film strength than 300v according to their site and they measured the exact same in scar diameter in an engine wear comparo)

*edit* http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/mcf.aspx
Imagine that. A company says their product is better than a competitors. :idea:

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I don't think the 300v comes in a 10w-40. I do like the way the motul smells not that it's important...lol. That being said just like ALL oil threads, how can you ever say one is better than or equal to the other without having oil analysis done and/or tearing your motor apart to visually inspect the internals. I have never understood how people are so quick to shout out "Brand X is the best oil money can buy" and they have no data whatsoever on it :rolleyes:
This doesn't mean it's the best but here's what Blackstone Labs said about my 300V after a weekend at the track.

"At least 12 ppm of the silicon is anti-foam additive in the oil, so your true silicon level is
about 5 ppm, right where it should be. Metals all look good, and we found nothing reading out of line in
this sample. We did find a bit of fuel dilution, which is common in engines that are raced or see a lot of
idling. We don't consider it a problem until it reads above 2.0%. Insolubles were low, reading at just a
trace level, and the TBN was strong at 8.6, showing a lot of active additive left. 1.0 is low."

·
Registered
65 Posts
I use Motul 300v 10w/30,40 (can't remember right now) and have never had a problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts