Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From the Houston Chronicle today:

A Houston motorcyclist died after his head struck the hook of a wrecker pulling a car at Fondren and Concho late Thursday, police said.

Robert H. Starkey, 47, of 6229 Tanager, slid his Yamaha motorcycle on its side for about 25 feet in an apparent attempt to avoid hitting wrecker-auto combination in the 7800 block of Fondren, Houston police accident investigator Officer L.C. Morrison said.

"The hook caught his head, and he was killed instantly," Morrison said.

"He didn't see the car in time."

Starkey, a road construction worker, was not wearing a helmet and was not licensed to drive a motorcycle, Morrison said.

The death occurred at 10 p.m. after Elite Towing Service driver David Compean, 22, exited a CVS store parking lot towing a dark green vehicle. Compean pulled across the southbound lanes of Fondren planning to turn into the northbound lanes, Morrison said.

Compean was forced to stop because of traffic in the northbound lanes, and the car he was towing remained protruding into the southbound lanes, Morrison said.

Witnesses reported that Starkey changed lanes from behind a moving vehicle as traffic neared the towed car and was unable to stop in time. The speed limit is 30 mph at the site and Morrison estimated Starkey was traveling at 35 to 40 mph.

The dark car hooked to the wrecker blended into the dark grass of the median and other parts of the background, making it difficult to spot the car immediately, Morrison said.

The wrecker truck was equipped with required lights, but Compean was cited for failure to yield the right of way when exiting a private driveway, Morrison said.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I dont get this. Lets say i discharge a weapon somewhere in a field. I get caught and am cited and get a hefty fine. Should i kill somebody with that gun un intentionally i get a hefty jail sentence. Why doesnt the same apply to somebody like this campean guy for doing something stupid like that and killing somebody doing it?????

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
seatec said:
I dont get this. Lets say i discharge a weapon somewhere in a field. I get caught and am cited and get a hefty fine. Should i kill somebody with that gun un intentionally i get a hefty jail sentence. Why doesnt the same apply to somebody like this campean guy for doing something stupid like that and killing somebody doing it?????
:iamwithst :iamwithst

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I agree i think the wrecker driver should be charged with manslaughter or something to that effect. But since the guy killed was on a bike and didn't have a license they can just chalk it up to being the rider's fault. :bs:

·
Registered
777 Posts
seatec said:
So if your bike is parked/stationary/not moving and I come over and run into it, can I have you arrested for trying to run me over?

The guy had no license and no helmet. He hit a non-moving towtruck because of poor visibility. All in all I'd call this a tragic accident.

·
Registered
777 Posts
seatec I understand your POV, but it's not like the towtruck crossed 8 lanes of traffic and rammed the guy. He was pulling out of a CVS, he misjudges the flow of traffic and stops rather than try and do some boneheaded merge. Mr. Motorcycle pulls out from behind a car and surprise, the ass end of a car is in his path. A series of events leading to a tragic end. Sounds to me like the guy violated several fundamental rules of street riding and brought it on himself - prob cause he never went thru MSF and got a license!

I don't see the point in charging some poor driver with murder just because he didn't manage to come out of a parking lot fast enough to make the gap.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Not to mention, why would you intentionally lay your bike down at 35-40 mph to skid for 25 feet, giving up all control. Sounds like a rookie mistake.
A bike has no control whatsoever sliding on its side.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Rabbit, murder might be to strong. I agree but a bit stronger reaction might be in order.
rabbit said:
seatec I understand your POV, but it's not like the towtruck crossed 8 lanes of traffic and rammed the guy. He was pulling out of a CVS, he misjudges the flow of traffic and stops rather than try and do some boneheaded merge. Mr. Motorcycle pulls out from behind a car and surprise, the ass end of a car is in his path. A series of events leading to a tragic end. Sounds to me like the guy violated several fundamental rules of street riding and brought it on himself - prob cause he never went thru MSF and got a license!

I don't see the point in charging some poor driver with murder just because he didn't manage to come out of a parking lot fast enough to make the gap.

·
Registered
777 Posts
jwood903 said:
if the tow truck driver was sited then he was at fault.
Somebody mail the dead guy's family a ticket then. According to the story he was speeding. :rolleyes:

Sometimes these things are just accidents and you can't go around pointing fingers.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Ok so what would create more awareness that some mistakes cagers make have no big consequences for other cagers but are deadly to bikers?
rabbit said:
Somebody mail the dead guy's family a ticket then. According to the story he was speeding. :rolleyes:

Sometimes these things are just accidents and you can't go around pointing fingers.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
the truck driver made an idiotic move, the rider was probably going too fast for the conditions

both at fault IMO

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
This hits too close to home. I was in an accident where an undercover cop car pulled out making a left turn and wasn't looking left but right waiting for on coming traffic to clear. the asshole blamed me and said I was speed which is :bs:. I am suing these fuckers for every penny I can get just for the simple fact they lied and think they are above the law. My heart goes out for this guy cause it was almost one last August. RIP

1 - 20 of 20 Posts