Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www2.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MIA9527/

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- A motorcyclist could face up to 60 years in prison after being convicted of racing a car, which led to the death of a Florida Highway Patrol trooper.

Donald Williams was convicted by a jury yesterday of aggravated manslaughter, vehicular homicide and fleeing and eluding a law-enforcement officer.

According to reports, Williams was on his blue 1999 Suzuki while racing a Porsche on October second, 2004. Trooper Darryl Haywood started to pursue them when his patrol car had a blow out. Haywood lost control of his vehicle and crash into a tree.

Williams will be sentenced later.

----What about guy in porsche or vehic. maint crew at FHP station?
I'm not even sure they are supposed to engage in high speed pursuits, they have radios and aircraft for that.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
ZX10Miami said:
http://www2.wsvn.com/news/articles/local/MIA9527/

DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) -- A motorcyclist could face up to 60 years in prison after being convicted of racing a car, which led to the death of a Florida Highway Patrol trooper.

Donald Williams was convicted by a jury yesterday of aggravated manslaughter, vehicular homicide and fleeing and eluding a law-enforcement officer.

According to reports, Williams was on his blue 1999 Suzuki while racing a Porsche on October second, 2004. Trooper Darryl Haywood started to pursue them when his patrol car had a blow out. Haywood lost control of his vehicle and crash into a tree.

Williams will be sentenced later.

----What about guy in porsche or vehic. maint crew at FHP station?
I'm not even sure they are supposed to engage in high speed pursuits, they have radios and aircraft for that.
That sucks. Did this guy have a good lawyer?

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ruthless Racing said:
That sucks. Did this guy have a good lawyer?
Doesn't sound like it. Alll I know is in the article, a friend sent it to me.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
That's complete bullshit. I feel for the cop and his family but the rider shouldn't have been charged. I think that here in MD. we have a no persuit policy on bikes. It kinda of makes you think twice about running though.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Why shouldnt the rider be charged? His actions (and the Porsche drivers too) resulted in the LEO's death. Here's a TRUE story for ya. A few years ago a LEO was in a FOOT pursuit of a suspect. they ran across a bridge (over the Ohio river from Ky to Oh) The chase was on the roadway of the bridge, the suspect jumped over a rail from the road way to the sidewalk. There was about a 3 foot gap between the roadway and sidewalk. The Leo tripped, or slipped no one really knows... he didnt make the jump and fell about 60 feet to the cold dark Ohio river. He died. The suspect was charged and convicted in the death of the LEO.

Look at it like this. What happens if the guy in thePorsche had ran into an inoccent by-standard and killed them. Should they be charged. Yes they both would be charged, and this is no different. There silly street racing action resulted in th death of another person. But for the fact that these two bone heads were racing, the LEO never would have to go in a high speed pursuit. Their actions dictated the LEO's actions. They both should rot in jail.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
"Trooper Darryl Haywood started to pursue them when his patrol car had a blow out"...

I too feel for the family, but it seams this is a hazard of the job. I guess I could argue it both ways but 60 years just seams an excessive amount of blaim to place on the motorcyclist (grated the quote was "up to"). If the motorcyclist had directly crashed into the trooper's car I may feel differently, but this was basically a mechanical failure that caused the crash. If the chase wouldn't have occurred the failure could have happened on the way to the cofee shop (no insult intended).

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I didn't read the whole article and read nothing about the car driver being convicted of anything on this case. I understand and respect your opinion but I posted mine. However if I was related to the officer I might feel differently or if I was a LEO myself. I think the rider is responsible for his actions and the ripples that they caused but I do think that 60 years is a little steep. I don't mean to sound insensitive so if I come across that way I apoligize. Again I feel for the cop's family but I also understand that the rider more than likley intended no harm to the officer and therefore should not be held to the same punishment that a person who pulls a gun and shoots a leo.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Yeah Maze I understand what you are saying. Keep in mind that the Max Sentence more often than not is not applied. Typically what happens (first time offenders) get 5-10 years in prison. Chance of parole after 5 Years. He'll be out on Parole in 5-6 years, IF he spends that much time behind bars.
Chads 10R I dont know if that comment was all jokes or what. But come on. street racing is stupid and dangerous to everyone on the road. Cops, included in that. This is no different than those two guys racing in Orlando a few years ago. The one guy crashes into an innocent bystander. Thing is, that innocent just happen to be his MOTHER. He killed her. He was charged with Veh. Manslaughter too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
http://pursuitwatch.org/pursuit_policies/Florida_Highway_Patrol.pdf
don't know if the policy or law has changed, but this was obviously not a crime of violence. you could say the patrolman was breaking the law (or policy) engaging in his pursuit of a rush. unfortunately, due to shoddy maintenance (if i remember correctly when this happened it was said that the camaro he was driving was in need of new tires) he lost his life. not the motorcyclists fault. he probably had a court appointed attorney hack.

·
Registered
267 Posts
zx-7rking said:
This is no different than those two guys racing in Orlando a few years ago. The one guy crashes into an innocent bystander.
It's completely different.
In one case the rider was directly involved in the accident, in the other the rider was indirectly involved.
How about this hypothetical?
Say you and a riding buddy are zipping around town.
A cop hits his lights and your buddy takes off running, you pull over immediately.
If the cop loses control during the pursuit and wrecks are you guilty by association?
After all, you were party to the initial infraction and are now responsible for every consequence of the actions of everyone involved.
hmmmm......

·
Registered
514 Posts
Cause and effect. Bottom line their actions resulted in a death. I personally think if your run from the law for what ever reason, minimum 10 years. and that is if no one is hurt. No one wants to be held accountable for their actions. You can choose what you do, but you cant choose the
consequences of your actions. :fu2:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
JodyH said:
It's completely different.
In one case the rider was directly involved in the accident, in the other the rider was indirectly involved.
How about this hypothetical?
Say you and a riding buddy are zipping around town.
A cop hits his lights and your buddy takes off running, you pull over immediately.
If the cop loses control during the pursuit and wrecks are you guilty by association?
After all, you were party to the initial infraction and are now responsible for every consequence of the actions of everyone involved.
hmmmm......
That's not so far fetched either, the laws are now to a point were almost anyone doing anything that your associated with can hold you responsible too. Still think that guy had an appointed lawyer with the Rules of Pursuit that the police department had. It's just a bad subject all around, I'm sure the police officer had no Idea he was about to be killed by a flat tire in a pursuit, and I'm sure the guy racing had no Idea he was about to commit manslaughter by racing the porche. :dontknow: but unfortunate for both sides :sad:

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I was living in Daytona when this happened. It was a big deal to why the officer was chasing him. Shortly thereafter it was really big about they will not chase down people after they reach certain speeds because of how big the street racing scene can be. I have talked to a few FHP and they have a little too much arrogance at times about their camaros and how they will chase down anything on the road. Here are some links I found:

Article 1

Article 2

They say some good stuff from witnesses and the attorneys themselves. Sad that someone lost their life over this but I do agree that sometimes a cop needs to know when it is too dangerous for both himself, the fleer, and bystandereds. Had he called it off, more than likely the guy would have slowed down and got home without anyone being hurt.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
alright guys, i reserve for the local pd here (not giving out name) and w/o knowing the facts just what the article states it sounds to me like the accident was just waiting to happen. I know for a fact that the patrol cars aren't mechanically checked every day. There are a lot of factors that could have caused the wreck. The tires could have had low pressure or a lot of wear on them I don't know. But the article sounds to me that the blowout "just happened". I think the guy had a crappy lawyer. I don't know if he fled the scene (if he did he should be charged), if not he should be charged with reckless driving racing and should get jail time. My prayers are with the officers family and fellow officers. It just sounds like it wasn't gonna matter who the officer was going to chase the blowout was just bound to happen. yes it was stupid to race but officers engage in high speed pursuits all the time and most of the time it is just to catch up to the speeder who was going maybe 10-15 over the limit. Doing the math on a highway, if the officer is starting from a stop on a 70mph highway he's going to have to gun it to catch the speeder. Anyways, simply put, if the blow out was somehow mechanical and not because of a hazard in the roadway then he shouldn't be charged. Just my thoughts. Again we don't know the facts and therefore everything we say is based on speculation.

·
Registered
770 Posts
So your saying that if a regular driver in a car was say driving at 5mph over the speed limit and the cop took off after him, proceeding to have his tire blow out, the driver of the car he went to pull over would be charged with murder? That sounds pretty shitty to me, I would also agree that in this instance that tire blow out is a hazard of driving in general, we all risk that happening everytime we get behind the wheel of any vehicle.

·
Registered
514 Posts
rvancil said:
So your saying that if a regular driver in a car was say driving at 5mph over the speed limit and the cop took off after him, proceeding to have his tire blow out, the driver of the car he went to pull over would be charged with murder? That sounds pretty shitty to me, I would also agree that in this instance that tire blow out is a hazard of driving in general, we all risk that happening everytime we get behind the wheel of any vehicle.
Well I would agree as long as he didn't run. We really need the facts to have an appropriate opinion. And unless one was i the court room we really don't know them. :dontknow:

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
VOL said:
Well I would agree as long as he didn't run. We really need the facts to have an appropriate opinion. And unless one was i the court room we really don't know them. :dontknow:
The article said the witnesses said he RAN because he was looking back, and that's what did him in. In the old days it didn't seem like someone could be held accountable for this, but this is a new era with new laws.

·
Registered
514 Posts
bluedevil said:
The article said the witnesses said he RAN because he was looking back, and that's what did him in. In the old days it didn't seem like someone could be held accountable for this, but this is a new era with new laws.
wel I know in Memphis there is a no chase policy. So the drug dealers and other thugs are getting bikes. On a side note any of you that fit that profile :fu2: Ride for the love of the ride and nothing else!

1 - 20 of 121 Posts