Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all before I get started I'm new to this forum so if this question has been previously answered I apologize I am still learning to navigate this site. But first things first I have a 2006 kawasaki zx-10r only mods are power commander and aftermarket shorty exhaust inwhich I have dynoed annually (170 rwhp).

Ok now to the good stuff this may be lengthy because i will squeeze in every detail to help whomever can provide some good feedback. Around November I installed a 5000m motorcycle alarm in doing so i did not connect the electric start function I did however have to splice the wire going to the ignition fuse which was done carefully not to interfere with any other wiring. I had my bike taken to the shop to install a new undertail in January when i went to pick up the bike my mechanic notified me of a starting problem and he mentioned most bikes with alarms have battery issues. Naturally I came home placed my bike battery on the charge and went out and bought a separate battery from battery plus (a small 12v power source) seperate from that of my bike and installed it in my trunk. A day or so later still had the same issue. Returned it to the mechanic so he could test my charging system. He informed me the stator was good and the battery may have a bad cell. So i go home completely remove the alarm and buy a new battery put it in works fine a day or so and then boom same issue. Back to the shop it goes he suggest the regulator/rectifier may be bad so I purchase a new rectifier, stator, and plugs and install them. Bikes works fine for a day or so and then the same issue. Im almost running out of ideas. I have a fair amount of mechanical knowledge I tested the fuse with my multi-meter at the ignition fuse and it registered fine. Im thinking the alarm may have damaged something because once i hooked it up to the seperate power source it would sometime inadvertingly make my speedometer cluster flicker. A few other things that should be known. I hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the key and the bike just continues to click but wont turn over. My mechanic now suggest i remove the power commander. Please and help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Not sure here ... mine had similar problems, but it was a spun bearing, so required engine rebuild. Let me know what you find out. Cheers -

·
Registered
4,480 Posts
take the stator cover off and look for burnt windings on the stator sounds like it is bad only like six 8mm bolts its simple I think your mechanic was wrong

·
Registered
116 Posts
It sounds like your charging system has issues. Like others have mentioned, test the rectifier, stator and battery. All this can be done rather easy with a multimeter. I would also perform a parasitic draw on the battery.
good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts