Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can't seem to figure out a good way to have audio in my helmet.

I have Westone W10's ear buds which work great BUT you have to wear a balaclava over them to get your helmet on and keep the ear buds in place.

That doesn't work in warm weather.

Installed some helmet speakers in my Shoei RF 1200 and they work great at low speed (with no balaclava) but worthless at speed due to the wind noise.

I have my helmet custom fitted at Shoei so it fit's tight and solid.

Not sure there's a solution but putting it out there...

I listen to my iPod strapped to my arm.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I think you have the best solution already though you might consider custom-fitted buds using the same drivers. I have small ears which makes it easy for the buds to fall out when putting the helmet on but I found a cheap set of LG corded buds that stay put and retract into a neck piece. I have in-helmet speakers for my Shoei too but also found them worthless at speed and they just make the volume your ears face even more problematic for tinnitus sufferers.
Mike

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
Hey OG. I do the same thing. I have several sets of these I use and I love them. They sound pretty good and are cheap enough that you don't have to worry too much about them. The cord will get damaged over time just from being used, but mine hold up great.

The key to these type is that have a low-profile with a curved outer area. My Shoei X-14 doesn't cause them to fall out when putting the helmet on/off and I don't where anything on my head here in the heat in FL. If I catch a cord and yank them out, they can come out of my ears. But that's a bit different. They stay in just fine under normal use and work great for me.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/in-ear-headphones/mdr-ex15lp-15ap

·
Registered
2,673 Posts

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about that but the Westone W10's have wires that go over the ears and my ears get folded when putting on my helmet. then I have to try and put my fingers up inside my helmet to straighten my ears and it never works out so that the damn earbuds and wires stay in place. I had custom ear buds before the the wires kept breaking every 6 months and cost me $35 to send back and get fixed.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I use JBL Everest 110s wireless earbuds and they work really well, especially with the insulating foam tips. Can be tricky to get the helmet on over them at time, but with patience they work really well.

I also have some Jabra ELite true wireless buds, that sound better, but with the larger foam tips are more easily dislodged. (with the flimsy rubber tips they work fine) Only issue I have is when you remove your helmet, they fall on the ground. A headband to retain them may work, Ive never tried.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,558 Posts
The music helps me focus. It breaks up the constant, mind-numbing droning of the exhaust and wind noise and keeps me alert. Listening to music helps me concentrate on the task of riding. It heightens my senses of visual scanning and feeling what is happening with the bike. Don't knock until you try it! Sense of smell and hearing are the least used senses on a bike.

·
Registered
340 Posts
what's wrong with the Sena s20 and actually using the little foam deals that come with them to either put the speaker closer to your ears or over the speaker to help bridge the gap? I use them with ear plugs and can still hear just fine. Also able to make phonecalls and actually hear what is being said up to about 110 mph, after that, it's difficult to make out but really anything over 80 and I could care less what is actually being said in the music and it's more a backround noise. Just my two sense. I used to do the ear bud bs but it was a pain, especially if one would come partially out when putting my helmet on, besides that, it's illegal as all hell to wear earbuds even while riding if they are in both ears here in California, got a ticket for it one time. Cop can see the wires come out of the helmet I guess. The speakers in the helmet still allow for other sounds to get into your ears or so the logic goes for legal purpose.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use the regular iPhone wired earbuds with the gel grips over them. Cheap, fits perfect in your ear with the grips and the music is loud AF. You can get the earbud grips on amazon for stupid cheap as well.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I have U Clear Bluetooth set up. Two speakers, volume control, mute, song skip or replay option. I have a HJC rapha 11 pro, race fit and it has speaker recess. I have other helmets too (Shoei ) and have had to modify ear pocket. Best music option. Would not be with out it. Ever. Now I have it for my ski helmet. Rock out.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I just lost my Sena unit, was charging it for about 20 min out past LA and when I took off I either didn't clip in on all the way or spaced out on it completely. either way total FML moment having to ride over an hour back home with no music

1 - 14 of 14 Posts