Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
MMI? Could use some help!!

I'm currently in the Marine Corps, I have a little over a year and a half to go. I high-sided my 10, and I've enjoyed putting things back toghter( slowly but surely.) I think I would really enjoy going into this career field of being a technician for different types of motorcycles(sport,touring,cruisers, and motocross) and probably personal watercraft as well as fourwheelers. Has anyone attended this school or another one like it, if so how was the experience. Working for a big corp. such as kawasaki or the other three I need not mention, is there good chances for advancement? What about benefits, I would imagine the four major coorporations have great benefits. Does anyone have any salary figures( if you don't mind you could pm me with those?) Any information that you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Would also like to congratulate you guys on a killer site, has helped me fixing a few things on my 10. Thank you for your time.:zx_green: :popcorn:

·
Registered
361 Posts
I went to MMI, I am working at a small Kawasaki/Suzuki shop. I would say that unless you find a job in corporate, the pay won't be enough to pay for the loans for school.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the G.I. Bill it will pay for everything. I'm covered up to 42,000 dollars. I'm pretty sure that will cover it.

·
I'm here WAY too much..
1,998 Posts
hmmm, honestly.. I was going to go there also, until I thought about it.. I work part time at a dealership to supplement my full time job, just while I'm in school. I would take that 42k, and go to college for something that might be a little easier to make money in. Our mechanics make shit money. If you are interested in doing the tech thing, then get a job at a shop, get paid to learn and if it becomes that serious then you can start something on the side and maybe eventually go to school for it if you love it that much. Working on your bike is a lot different than working on someone elses bike.. day after day.. doing oil changes, case changes, and plastic replacements. Go to school to be an engineer, then get a job on the corporate side making 300k+/year DESIGNING the bikes and engines..

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Went thru the MMI campus in Orlando.. nice place.. 19k for the course.
They get free bikes from the manufacturers to train students on then the bikes are DESTROYED! I'm with the others above, get a good education with your money and a good corporate job unless you really want to be a wrench monkey making 15-20 bucks an hour (if you're lucky). I've always been into bikes and will be to the day I die, but working in the service department won't pay my bills.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
300k sounds alot better working on a computer and drafting concepts up than busting my knuckles just so someone else can ride. Thank you everyone for the input. Helped out alot.

·
Registered
697 Posts
After I retire, I want to do the same. GI Bill will surely be higher (as will the course). I've heard that when you turn your hobby/passion/interests into your career, you can lose interest in the thing that got you started.

It's kind of like the story of the shoe maker's kids...

·
Registered
361 Posts
byebyebusa, I'm not making anywhere near that much.

I do realy like my job tho. yes, there are alot of small jobs that get monotomus but, I know that I can do these quickly and get on to another job. this is the first job in a long time that I look forward to going to. the week passes so fast that it supprises me when the owner comes and hands me my paycheck on friday, I can't believe that the week has gone by so fast.

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
double check the GI BILL b/c i was told it'll pay for a higher education than you have, not sure if it will pay for a tech degree like that, but then again, things change daily so what i was told 2yrs ago may have changed.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I was at the Orlando campus a couple years ago and there were several there on the GI bill. lucky basstards didn't have to work while they were going, just if they wanted to.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I was in the military the GI bill will cover a tech school. I hope they told you that you will have to come out of pocket first and then the GI bill will reinburse (sp) you. That is what happen to me. Went to school for Audio Engineering and I had to pay out of pocket first then I started to recieve checks in the mail... Good luck

·
Registered
186 Posts
Been to MMI and have been a tech for 6 years.It's a good job depending on where-who you work for.Starting out just making flat rate is tough,but if you can get paid hourly and flat rate it's a pretty good gig.If you live where it's seasonal winter can be tough too.a good tech can make 60k plus a year at the right dealership.and I 've seen places like in orlando/phoenix where you can work in a 110 degree shop for 9 bucks an hour.MMI TEACHES THE BASICS.it's up to you to become fast,thorough.take suzuki for the fuel injection and yamaha for the electrical.don't take all four electives and waste time, get into the field and that's where you learn and make money.

·
Registered
361 Posts
the class after I went thru Kawasaki had to do more jobs than I had to do, they were making the class almost impossible to pass. I busted my ass and still had to take it again. the second time I was a bit more picky about the order and what bikes I worked on and busted my ass even more and just barley made it.

Suzuki is the elective that everyone said was the hardest but I made it thru that one in the first trip.

the bad thing about Yamaha is that Yamaha don't (or atleast didn't) support the program as well as the others.

Suzuki had the bikes that were used in training sent to a local dealership to be sold like used bikes.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Go to trade school some of them offer motorcycle mechanics diplomas NOT DEGREES then work for a shop.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Mmi!!

HEY MAN!!
I Went TO MMI when I got out of the ARMY and you CAN use the GI BILL. IT is nice to get that check every month!!! they will set it all up for you there at MMI.
FYI. I graduated and then went to Penn State 6 months later and now working with NASA SWAT at kennedy space center in florida. so you never know where the hell you will end up or happen to go????
I still do ride and traded in my CBR 900RR for the new zx-10r 2006 black one and it rocks!!

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts