Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please do not think of this thread as silly or boring...
Could I get a few detailed descriptions on how people are cleaning their bikes? I want to preserve finish as best as possible and would like to know how everyone else is doing it. Thanks for the information.
Peace:cool:

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
blackisfaster said:
Please do not think of this thread as silly or boring...
Could I get a few detailed descriptions on how people are cleaning their bikes? I want to preserve finish as best as possible and would like to know how everyone else is doing it. Thanks for the information.
Peace:cool:
I only use spray on waxes like Meguiars or Mothers FX.:thumbsup: Try and clean it after every ride. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do clean after I ride, usually with that spryon wipe off stuff. I worry that I am going to put swirl marks in the paint. I used to just hose my ZX7R, spray degreaser soap, and rinse off. No problems. I keep hearing that getting the 10R too wet can cause FI to act up. True or not?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Use a mild soap for washes....Zaino wax for the tank and Plexus or Honda spray polish on plastics, wheels, frame, swingarm ect ect immediately after drying bike after washes...Use Plexus and Honda spray polish between washes.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Before washing it make sure the bike is not hot, so some of the chemicals you might use do not stain on the bike. I first use a degreaser to clean the shock, footpegs and certain parts of the engine. Then use another type of degreaser (more like brake cleaner) to clean the calipers. After that just shampoo and wash. Right after the wash or the day after the wash I go over it with Meguiars Quick Detailer. Other than that I wax it with Meguiars Nxt Tech Wax every 1-2 months (depending on how i feel).

·
Registered
276 Posts
wash your bike the prper way then use harley gloss detailer 16oz. spray bottle. best product ive ever used.

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I use that Driwash on mine. I've been using on my show truck for 10 years now and haven't had any problems. The new formula can even be applied in direct sunlight and comes off real easy. Shines up real good too.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I use honda clean when its not too dirty like a couple other people already said. If I am getting back from a few hundred mile ride, I will pull out the hose and car wash. I also keep a washing mit just for my bike that I keep super clean. The last thing I need is a little rock to get stuck in the the mit and scratch my bike. Then try it and detail it with honda clean. And for the chain, I use brake cleaner on the chain first, give it some time to completly dissalve, then use a good chain lube. O, I have never had a problem with the FI using a hose. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
i use pledge or endust... cheap as hell and smells good afterwards too... pledge will streak some but just take a rag and wipe it off, and you can use either one on every part of the bike except the chain and the tires of course nothing should go on the tires... but yea try either one of those two.

·
Registered
342 Posts
djblacksuperman said:
i use pledge or endust... cheap as hell and smells good afterwards too... pledge will streak some but just take a rag and wipe it off, and you can use either one on every part of the bike except the chain and the tires of course nothing should go on the tires... but yea try either one of those two.
How does Pledge break down in comparison to Honda Polish??

I know on furniture where Pledge is applied, should it get wet, the Pledge rises and leaves a white ick'ish film...

would it do the same on your bike, if you got caught in a light drizzle?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
I use a degreaser on the wheels, bottom edge of fairing, and anywhere else that grease, tar, etc. has gone. Then I use water and carwash soap to clean the whole bike. Personally, I think the whole wiping your bike off with a rag and Honda polish or various other chemicals is crazy. No way that won't put scratches and/or swirl marks all over the bike. I use that stuff on my dirt bikes if they're just dusty, but no way would I do that to a streetbike. After washing the bike, I use a chamois and compressed air to dry the bike off. Then I put a fresh coat of polish and a coat of wax on the bike, lube the chain very lightly, put her up on stands, and cover her with an old sheet.

This is after each ride and each week or so, depending on the amount of riding, all the plastics come off and everything inside gets the toothbrush treatment with degreaser. For soap, polish, and wax I use Meguiars most of the time. For serious polish/wax sessions, I use Wizards. The other stuff I use on the bike are simple green, wd40, and maxima chain lube.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
phastone said:
I use a degreaser on the wheels, bottom edge of fairing, and anywhere else that grease, tar, etc. has gone. Then I use water and carwash soap to clean the whole bike. Personally, I think the whole wiping your bike off with a rag and Honda polish or various other chemicals is crazy. No way that won't put scratches and/or swirl marks all over the bike. I use that stuff on my dirt bikes if they're just dusty, but no way would I do that to a streetbike. After washing the bike, I use a chamois and compressed air to dry the bike off. Then I put a fresh coat of polish and a coat of wax on the bike, lube the chain very lightly, put her up on stands, and cover her with an old sheet.

This is after each ride and each week or so, depending on the amount of riding, all the plastics come off and everything inside gets the toothbrush treatment with degreaser. For soap, polish, and wax I use Meguiars most of the time. For serious polish/wax sessions, I use Wizards. The other stuff I use on the bike are simple green, wd40, and maxima chain lube.
Dude, I totally respect your adoration and dedication towards cleaning your ride. But personally, to me....., THATS JUST TOO MUCH DAMNED WORK, especially for something I attempt to ride/enjoy on a daily basis! :eyecrazy: :wink:

D

·
.net Most Followed Member
8,795 Posts
:headshake
Hattori Hanzo said:
Before washing it make sure the bike is not hot, so some of the chemicals you might use do not stain on the bike. I first use a degreaser to clean the shock, footpegs and certain parts of the engine. Then use another type of degreaser (more like brake cleaner) to clean the calipers. After that just shampoo and wash. Right after the wash or the day after the wash I go over it with Meguiars Quick Detailer. Other than that I wax it with Meguiars Nxt Tech Wax every 1-2 months (depending on how i feel).
damn r u crewing it?? damn....

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
BigDally said:
Dude, I totally respect your adoration and dedication towards cleaning your ride. But personally, to me....., THATS JUST TOO MUCH DAMNED WORK, especially for something I attempt to ride/enjoy on a daily basis! :eyecrazy: :wink:

D
Yeah, anybody who knows me thinks I'm crazy.

I've got the process down to a science, though, so it doesn't take as long as it sounds. Especially the post-ride cleaning. If I'm in a hurry, each bike only takes about 45 mins start to finish.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Personally, I think the whole wiping your bike off with a rag and Honda polish or various other chemicals is crazy. No way that won't put scratches and/or swirl marks all over the bike. I use that stuff on my dirt bikes if they're just dusty, but no way would I do that to a streetbike.

That's why you apply Honda spray or a good wax after a wash which will help protect the surface (were not talking heavy dust or dirt...just touch up in MINOR situations like bugs) during in between wipedowns..It's perfectly fine to use Honda polish after a wash and in between to get bugs off the front fairing and if you want a touch up of course the caveat is having grainy dust on it.....Your statement is certainly correct but we're only talking minor situations where there is no dust...You have to use good judgement....And you definitely do not want to leave bugs on your front fairing too long so it's either wash it every ride or do a touch up with something that is suitable for plastic.

If it's dusty as in dirtbike dusty or even remotely close to it you certainly don't want to do that unless it's washed first...But a streetbike normally doesn't get dusty like a dirtbike does (if you avoid water on the road) unless you live in the desert or something....

A dirtbike get's too dirty in one ride to wipedown in between rides even if you ride on completely dry dirt.....I won't even wipe down my dirtbike with anything unless it's been washed first as it will definitely scratch plastics on a dirt bike...

Here's pics of My RC51 after 3 years of owning it....Yes, that is a bottle of Plexus with a rag on it in the reflection.

Attachments

·
Starbucks Connoisseur
4,368 Posts
I just take mine to the car wash, just make sure its hand wash and that it's in neutral.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts