Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok trying this again hoping to get just straight forward answers here. I want to do some motor work done internally. What I am looking to have done.

1 Aftermarket Cam and timing.

2 pistons,listening to katoom I think on this and going with the thin head gasket but still would like feedback and results done with this or both of these mods

3. Not positive but possibly bore and/or Stroke kit.

4. A serious dyno shop in orange/la county california that doesn't tune the the PCIII to peak power at 220 degree's. Also looking to put in short stacks.

Has anyone done any or all of these mods on a 2005 10r what were the results? Also if anyone has a dyno sheet showing how piston/cam work effected your power curve and how the stacks effected your power curve.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
I have done 2 zx10 motors so far, one was a 3mm bore 3mm stroke (1137cc's) just recently spun a bearing cause of falicons work AGAIN.....that was a customers bike....

my bike is a 2mm bore with reliability in mind when it was built for just that. no dynojet numbers on it but projects into the 190's.

check out my site for more info on them but if i were you and wanted to go reliability stay with stock stroke and just a 2 or 3mm over bore, head work, lightened n balanced crank and some other goodies, throw a bottle on there for some more fun lol.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I would hold off on the short stacks. It's strange, but the OEM middles flow better at high RPM, on my bike anyway. -Dean

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Hmm wow strange it seems the OEM stacks flow better on top and some of the mid. Doesn't seem to be much benefit there. I only thought a mild stroker for low to mid is there that much of a hinderance on reliability with a mild stroke? With a bore Cams and thin gasket what type of numbers do you think it will put to the ground? My goal is to run @ or around 175 to 180 rwhp. If I do bore and do slightly higher compression or thinner head gasket will I be around the 180 mark or will I need to do more?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
IMHO, save the money (and time) and skip the crank and go with the pistons, cam and head porting. That will get you 175-180 on pump gas and be reliable.

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
IMHO, save the money (and time) and skip the crank and go with the pistons, cam and head porting. That will get you 175-180 on pump gas and be reliable.

exactly!!! a 2mm kit, intake cam and a fancy smancy valve job and 180 is your daddy. :mrgreen:

BD

·
Registered
471 Posts
Damn so with all that being said what cams, pistons, and bore kit are working out these days and yeilding the most horsepower?

and what's the average price looking like for a full build like this.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
It's just too simple to get some pretty amazing numbers out of these bikes. So end of the day I think this is my line of thinking

1 cam
2 Pistons and a little polishing up of the rough edges internally gapless rings etc.
3 a good dyno tune.

This should bring 180ish on pump? I will more than likely have whoever the bike shop is I end up chosing make sure the crank is balanced but I'm not sure if it would get much better than it already is. I'm assuming stock cranks are pretty well balanced to turn out 13k RPM imho.

Edit sorry I don't want nos for 2 reasons.. I get silly when I have buttons to play with. B That's alot of pain on a motor to change internal pressures that fast.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
well common mod is the kawi race intake cam. Web cams makes a set for the zx10r and megacycle cams makes a set as well but i believe they will need aftermarket springs as well.

the kawi cam is about 80-100 bux
pistons are in the 600 dollar range i believe
block work is about 350
gapless rings are 150 (worth the price)
dyno tunes are about 300 dollars

and if you can find someone to O-ring the cylinder deck Id reccomend it, we started doing this about 2 years ago when we had head gasket problems and its just a safety measure, its a steel ring around each cylinder and helps keep a better seal.

plus your looking to have someone tear the motor down. Since your not going all out its not toooo to much work but average tear down and assembly is probably around 1500 or so????

so a lil over 3g's for it jsut a rough estimate. 2mm or 3mm should be good. Im running a 2mm kit on mine and its making really good power but a 3mm would have been nice to lol......always wanting more though but I want reliabilty since my bike is a daily driver.

good luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
well common mod is the kawi race intake cam. Web cams makes a set for the zx10r and megacycle cams makes a set as well but i believe they will need aftermarket springs as well.

the kawi cam is about 80-100 bux
pistons are in the 600 dollar range i believe
block work is about 350
gapless rings are 150 (worth the price)
dyno tunes are about 300 dollars

and if you can find someone to O-ring the cylinder deck Id reccomend it, we started doing this about 2 years ago when we had head gasket problems and its just a safety measure, its a steel ring around each cylinder and helps keep a better seal.

plus your looking to have someone tear the motor down. Since your not going all out its not toooo to much work but average tear down and assembly is probably around 1500 or so????

so a lil over 3g's for it jsut a rough estimate. 2mm or 3mm should be good. Im running a 2mm kit on mine and its making really good power but a 3mm would have been nice to lol......always wanting more though but I want reliabilty since my bike is a daily driver.

good luck!

Is that Kawasaki Intake Race cam worth it? I know its cheap, but any performance diff? I couldn't find specs on the stock cam, but found them for the race cam.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So the 2mm piston kit etc I just want to make sure I'm on the right path. You mean Deck the Block as in reallign bores and squaring the deck before putting the heads back on? Back on the same question will the exhaust cam kawi sells help as well? Has anyone had experience with the Aftermarket cams and what kind of performance the deliver and how does it hurt the motor..crap idle less mid better top etc?

·
Registered
34,537 Posts
no the exhaust cam is a lower profile than stock, less duration, less lift etc and no i don't know why they offer it.

BD

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
yeah stock exhaust cam has bigger lift than the race cam, i think they offer a race exhaust for their complete engine parts from kawi racing, stock bore 14.3:1 compression but who knows........

the kawi intake race cam is worth the money but if you can spring for it maybe try the web cams or megacycle if they are still making them.

as for the deck not 100% on what ya mean but i was talkin about having a steel o-ring pressed into the deck that when you bolt on the head it crushes the gasket even more and makes a better seal.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Garth,

I am curious about O-ringing the head on my zx6rr. The motor is out again to replace the 2nd head gasket in 6 months. The compression is nearly 14.1 and I want a little more reliable set up. Ballpark price on cost for that as well as where you got your work done at.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts