Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I landed a spare 06 ZX10 head and I’m planning to do some motor work this winter. Planning on having the head ported, cams done by WebCam, and 78mm pistons. I’m thinking of staying away from the crank because I hear that can lead to trouble if you want to continue to ride on the street. I’m trying to get as much horsepower out of this while keeping it ridable for the street. I don’t want to spray or use a turbo. Does anyone have any suggestions and how much horsepower should I expect to get with these types of modifications. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Man you might do some more research on big bore kits as well if your tryin to stay on the street. From what I have found, the 10R cylinders are so thin already that if you do go big bore it will get to hot on the street. Well unless you live where its cold all the time or somethin. If you really wanna keep it a street bike, and ride a lot I would stay stock bore and just do 13.5.1 pistons, mill and port your head, drop in some cams and a thin HG. I think thats the only way you will be able to really have a daily street bike without it gettin too hot.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. Higher compression will make a bike run hotter. BUT not near as bad as thinner cylinder walls when the walls are already thin as hell to begin with.
Thanks for the quick feedback. I do like to ride on the street but I also don’t do as much street riding as I would like. I have more fun on the dragstrip and you’ve given me some good feedback. At least I know now that 79mm is defiantly out of the question.

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
Thanks for the quick feedback. I do like to ride on the street but I also don’t do as much street riding as I would like. I have more fun on the dragstrip and you’ve given me some good feedback. At least I know now that 79mm is defiantly out of the question.
Glad I could help man. I was actually thinkin about doin a 2 mill myself but decided against due to how much I ride on the street. Ended up going with pistons, headwork, a thin HG, and a cam.. My buddy has the same setup and tunnin engine ice it doesn't get that hot at all.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear about this guy Jeff from JNMotorsports that does really good head work. I’m thinking about this place called Racing Sport Services here in GA because one of my buddies that’s a mechanic swears by them. Their shop is located right across from Road Atlanta. I’m thinking having the machine work done locally may be the way to go. What do you think?

·
Slow Poke
5,584 Posts
I hear about this guy Jeff from JNMotorsports that does really good head work. I’m thinking about this place called Racing Sport Services here in GA because one of my buddies that’s a mechanic swears by them. Their shop is located right across from Road Atlanta. I’m thinking having the machine work done locally may be the way to go. What do you think?
I haven't herd much, but apparently he knows what he's doin because he's at the top of the fastest 1/8th and 1/4 list. If you have someone you put your faith in, then use them. But if you don't have anyone close that you trust then send it to a known builder. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
i'm about 40 miles from u in monroe ,ga. bagma is right, i would forget high compression, especially with traffic and street cond's in atlanta. you will run too hot all the time, practically useless as a street bike anymore. im speaking from personal experience. stk. pistons, head and cam pkg. is way to go. expect 180ish on pump, close to 190 race fuel tuned out. simple build, very streetable, budget builds. have 2 in my garage, 188 and 180. my mph backs up the dyno #'s. i can do what you're asking. lmk if i can help.

·
Registered
946 Posts
so far so good on my build....lucky for me, the weather doesn't get super hot here. The temps do raise quicker, but not totally uncontrolable...dual fans on it and good coolant. Did 5-6 hot laps at the drag strip and the temps were still under control.

I finally got all of my tuning sorted, and detonation issues.....but it will rock and roll on some U4.4 or MR0X1 when I get my hands on some this weekend.

All the hot upgrades are easy plug and play...I don't think there is mega power in a port and polish job for a street machine, although cleaning up the imperfections and matching the boots and valve seats makes the best impact....the intake is super smooth from the factory ,so not much time spent there.

all depends on how hard and how much abuse you are going to do to it, should dictate how much money and parts to invest in it to make it bomb proof or reliable.

just my .02

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jeff is the man with the 10's !!! dude done built some the fastest 10's out there.
Do you know how to get a hold of Jeff? I sent him a few messages here and haven't heard from him and I couldn't find a website for him.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so far so good on my build....lucky for me, the weather doesn't get super hot here. The temps do raise quicker, but not totally uncontrolable...dual fans on it and good coolant. Did 5-6 hot laps at the drag strip and the temps were still under control.

I finally got all of my tuning sorted, and detonation issues.....but it will rock and roll on some U4.4 or MR0X1 when I get my hands on some this weekend.

All the hot upgrades are easy plug and play...I don't think there is mega power in a port and polish job for a street machine, although cleaning up the imperfections and matching the boots and valve seats makes the best impact....the intake is super smooth from the factory ,so not much time spent there.

all depends on how hard and how much abuse you are going to do to it, should dictate how much money and parts to invest in it to make it bomb proof or reliable.

just my .02

So you went the 79mm kit and did no do anything to your head? Did you get a chance to check it on the dyno after you made your modifications? You drag it which is what I do but do you continue to ride it on the street?

·
Registered
946 Posts
So you went the 79mm kit and did no do anything to your head? Did you get a chance to check it on the dyno after you made your modifications? You drag it which is what I do but do you continue to ride it on the street?
I switched to SS exhaust valves, run by intake springs....and 08 retainers for all... milled the head .015....blended the low areas of the intake with JB weld. Used ARP bolts for the headbolt upgrade.

Daily rider for trips around the countryside....gas up wheelies on command :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts