174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2013 10000kms

Rifleman
Akro link pipe
-1 front
OEM chain
1200km on michelin PP3s

Went out with my buddy for a 600km rounder before he leaves for work up north to nowhereville... I'm about 200km into the ride and were racing down the road both WOT. He's got a Ducati Diavol. This was maybe the fourth wide open pull of the day.... Not many places to go really where we can punch it like this other than well the track.

All of a sudden I hear *gasp* click click click click click out of my motor. Like real bad loss of power and then I could feel it compress back on me even though the fuel cut is out. So now it sounds really messed up, I called roadside and had it taken in to the dealer ASAP. Nice end to my riding season. I got 5 year extended so I'm thinking I'm alright. :lame::lame::lame::lame:

My guess is a rod went or a bearing. It sounds bad!
Anyone with way more insight than I care to speculate?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
That doesn't sound good, hopfully it all works out. Keep us posted on what they find.

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,809 Posts
Not much of a description to go on here. But after many years on the the Internet, my professional opinion is that you spun a rod bearing.

·
Registered
144 Posts
^^^ After many years on the internet :lol: :rotflmao:

·
The Pace
6,962 Posts
Similar to my failure except mine got red hot, smoking hot, down low right side, bottom of clutch. tech made same claim that Sky made. I'll translate km figures and see if anything else looks familiar when I get more time. 5 year plan I will also do this time.

Oh, I bet you religiously changed your oil. Let me know.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's all I really can user to describe what the noise was.

Just a loud horrific ticking or clicking louder than the motor itself and I am 2500 km into my third oil change.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Similar to my failure except mine got red hot, smoking hot, down low right side, bottom of clutch. tech made same claim that Sky made. I'll translate km figures and see if anything else looks familiar when I get more time. 5 year plan I will also do this time.

Oh, I bet you religiously changed your oil. Let me know.
For the record, you think your issues had nothing to do with ignoring oil changes correct? Let me know.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I kept up with my oil hanges I thought?

Anything is likely speculation

·
Kawasaki Whisperer
1,687 Posts
At least you are all right. Friend of mine had his motor lock up and he went down. It could be a million things that went wrong.... I don't have years of experience on the interweb like Skydork... so I can't say what could be wrong. lol Hope you get it fixed fast!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Sky dork is anything but a dork.

Lotta respect for him and Archer

Upon speaking to the service department where the bike is currently taking up space I have this news... He has no idea what's wrong for sure however he did mention bearings and rods. Regardless it sounds like a huge job to do one way or another, I guess the motor is coming out of the bike entirely. Makes me wonder why they don't just scrap the motor and put a new one in. Wouldn't it be cheaper all around then tearing the old one apart on speculation?

·
Kawasaki Whisperer
1,687 Posts
Sky dork is anything but a dork.

Lotta respect for him and Archer

Upon speaking to the service department where the bike is currently taking up space I have this news... He has no idea what's wrong for sure however he did mention bearings and rods. Regardless it sounds like a huge job to do one way or another, I guess the motor is coming out of the bike entirely. Makes me wonder why they don't just scrap the motor and put a new one in. Wouldn't it be cheaper all around then tearing the old one apart on speculation?
Engine swap is way easier for sure. They still gotta take it apart though so they can show what failed to kawi.

If it happened to me, being I have no warranty, I'd rebuild mine with all aftermarket super go fast bits. :biggrin:

And I can't stand that skydork guy. He's such a flippant arrogant bore.....blah blah blah I'm skdork look at me. :lol: jesting of course.

All hail King Skydork!

:kneel:

·
REPOST Enforcement Mod
13,809 Posts
How did this thread turn into a love fest for me? Haha! But yes, I'm a dork. Thanks for the kind words though.

Yes, a spun rod or crank bearing is no joke. Serious disassembly work there. If it's under warranty then consider yourself fortunate as that bill would be quite large if passing by yourself. A complete engine swap would be easier unless Kawi is picking up the tab. The biggest thing is going to be the time out of service to complete the repair. Good luck with it, and keep us all posted on the results.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
The Pace
6,962 Posts
ok, he did oil changes. And same thing happened to me. I could not buy new engine so wondering if Kawa will give a new bike! I'm getting extended, for sure.

·
Registered
2,805 Posts
If it is bearings/rods... Thats shitty.

Hopefully the dealership would just put in a new motor and send the old one back to be redone. Problem is with spun bearings, that if the rod journals are messed up the only sure fire way to fix it is replace the crank, all the rods and bearings at the same time. Then you have other incidental items that need/should be replaced at the same time. If all the parts are there and ready down time shouldn't be too bad, but I'm guessing parts aren't going to be readily available at your dealership so thats probably where a lot of your down time will come from.

I spun the #1 rod bearing on my 2000 Supercharged Celica GT-S. I thought I may be able to get by cleaning the crank, plastigauging it and putting in a thicker set of bearings since I caught it right as soon as it started knocking. Nope. Week later it went again and I wasn't even pushing the motor hard after I rebuilt the bottom end. Ended up finding a new motor out of an Elise with 4K on it for $1500 shipped out of Texas. Lucked out there haha.

Hopefully it works out in the end for you and you get your bike back quickly.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
hopefully

If it is bearings/rods... Thats shitty.

Hopefully the dealership would just put in a new motor and send the old one back to be redone. Problem is with spun bearings, that if the rod journals are messed up the only sure fire way to fix it is replace the crank, all the rods and bearings at the same time. Then you have other incidental items that need/should be replaced at the same time. If all the parts are there and ready down time shouldn't be too bad, but I'm guessing parts aren't going to be readily available at your dealership so thats probably where a lot of your down time will come from.

I spun the #1 rod bearing on my 2000 Supercharged Celica GT-S. I thought I may be able to get by cleaning the crank, plastigauging it and putting in a thicker set of bearings since I caught it right as soon as it started knocking. Nope. Week later it went again and I wasn't even pushing the motor hard after I rebuilt the bottom end. Ended up finding a new motor out of an Elise with 4K on it for $1500 shipped out of Texas. Lucked out there haha.

Hopefully it works out in the end for you and you get your bike back quickly.

I'm hoping so too, I don't have the money to rebuild it myself even though that wouldn't be such a bad deal in itself.
If it is a recurring issue I won't be the most pleased customer but I will cross that bridge when and if I get there.

Any thoughts on what I should do to the bike next once it's back in my hands? I'm going back to work soon and I'm selling a piece of property which will net me some extra cash for the bike.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
70 Posts
rod bearings gone on cyl 1. this is the cylinder furthest away from the oil pump.
how did the other bearings look?

if this is the cylinder that most of the gen 4 engines spin a bearing on, it's likely to be a oil pressure problem. if it is random i'd think that the rod bolts stretch under high rpm and cause the damage.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I lose sleep reading these posts. I just broke a thousand miles on mine and I'm waiting for it to blow now.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts